Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm taking my bike in this week for a new chain and sprockets. I was thinking about changing the ratio for more torque for wheelies. Am I better to change the front or back sprockets ? Will it cause any harm to the bike or should I just leave it stock ? Has anyone else tried this and had any good experiences with it ? Thanks Daryll

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
are you sure you have stock gearing as it is? stock gearing is 14/47. i wouldn't go down on the front, a 14 tooth sprocket is already pretty small, making it smaller would probably cause it to wear out noticeably quicker.

instead, go up a few teeth out back, many riders are satisfied with 2-3 more, but if you want more torque you can go even higher.

double check the size of the sprockets, also check to see whether the chain and sprockets are 532 or 530. stock was 532, but many people switch to 530 cuz 530 chains are a lot more common (and less expensive) than 532.

------------------

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have the gsxr 1100 1986 and i haven't been bothered to yet count my teeth,
I am most likely going to keep the same set upo i have it isn't stock i would think for the bike is old and somebody who owned it along the way had changed it.
I think the bike i have is set up pretty well within the week i will have changed the chain and sprockets so will give you my count. All i can say is chain wax....
After a nice long ride chain wax, no overspray and it protects your chain well and it repels dust and grime.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Mr rogers (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got a vortex sprocket and an RK chain I decided to stick with the stock gearing for the following reasons: I did change to a 17 inch rear rim which is a litle shorter, no problems getting vertical,the bike has only 5 speeds, and I actually am always looking for a 6th gear.

------------------
Wes
1987 GSXR 1100

1 - 5 of 5 Posts