Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ill be purchasing a bike soon and will need a helmet, jacket, and a piar of gloves anyone know besides the dealer to get these items either a local store or a online store with reliable service? thanks

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Further down the list of forums is the site sponsors. Look thru their specials. :thumbup

And don't forget boots and pants.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
actually, see what your dealership can offer. usually this is the last place you would buy gear for retail price, but if you purchase your bike with them, they sometimes sell the gear at their cost or a little bit over their own cost. an added bonus if you are financing your bike is that you could add your gear to the total cost so you can make payments on them. this could help you slowly pay off a SHOEI helmet and leather A-stars jacket rather than purchasing a KBC helmet and joe rocket textile jacket cuz thats all you can afford.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
dJt3xtbook said:
actually, see what your dealership can offer. usually this is the last place you would buy gear for retail price, but if you purchase your bike with them, they sometimes sell the gear at their cost or a little bit over their own cost. an added bonus if you are financing your bike is that you could add your gear to the total cost so you can make payments on them. this could help you slowly pay off a SHOEI helmet and leather A-stars jacket rather than purchasing a KBC helmet and joe rocket textile jacket cuz thats all you can afford.

yeah dont go cheap on your gear..just because its all you can afford. read the sticky in the FAQ section about how peoples gears held up...many good stories. i personally am an a-stars fan..for gloves and jackets...helmets...use your own judgement..make sure you can try it on and see that it fits and is comfortable...here again DO NOT GO CHEAP...would you rather pay$125 for an HJC just to say you had a helmet on (even though i had one that saved my life) or pay say $300-$600 for a shoei or other good brand..and have it save you. its you skull and your life...just remember that:cheers

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
also...if you do plan on buying your helmet online, go to a store and try them on first. you might "think" your head is a large, but what if you pay for shipping and realize that its too small or too big. then after you try them on, tell the salesman "No thank you" and go home and order it online. unless its arai which i believe you cant purchase over the internet (ebay excluded).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'd say at least go to the dealership and try some models helmets on to get an idea for fit size, not all manufacturers size are the same and you want to have to helmet to fit snug- if you can wiggle the lid up and down and if there's enough room to twist from side to side it's too bid, but make sure the the lid isn't so snug that it will create pressure points after long wear. The padding in lids eventually over time (sweat & usage) get kinda thinned out. Then after you get an idea how certain helmets feel and fit go online to save some money. IMHO: get the best lid you can afford-your head is thee most important part to protect other than the family jewels.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Bourgeois said:
All I have to say is do a lot of research on gear. You can start on this site and do some searches. Find what you like and try it on and then find the best price most likely off the internet. Don't go cheap because you'll regret it later mainly because of quality and that could end up getting you hurt.
What he said. When I got my bike, I looked at gear last. Definite mistake. Bought some ICON gear, now I can't wait to get rid of it. Getting an A-Stars leather suit either next week or the week after, and also have a Suomy Spec-1r Extreme on the way. If I would have just bought the top of the line gear from the start, I wouldn't have lost the money I did on the ICON stuff. Whatever you decide on, don't go cheap on your gear!

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
Helmets have to be tried on in person. Everybody's got preferences. I don't see myself trading my Shoei helmets for anything, but I did try on an AGV Rossi helmet that I liked last weekend. My dad's all about Suomy helmets, and my brother likes HJC. So you'll hear alot of opinions, but go with what feels best on your head.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
With helmets they all have to pass certain tests so as long as they are DOT Snell approved they are going to save your head. What you are really paying for is quality and construction. It is a pain in the ass to lift a shield that doesn't work right and the helmet doesn't vent well so it starts getting hotter inside. And also the padding and way it fits on your head. Go to a local place that carries helmets and grab some cheapo helmet and work it's shield. Then grab a Shoei, Arai, Suomy etc. and try it's shield. It will be night and day. There was some cheap ass helmet sitting at my buddies house and I could barely get the shield up.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Save the money and buy the best gear possible. A good leather and a good helmet is a must. Don't go cheap thinking their all okay because the few bucks you save doesnt compare to what you could save on a hospital bill with good gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.