Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am looking at picking up a high-end helmet (Arai, Shoei or Suomy) and had a couple questions. First of all, i wanted to get an Arai Rx-7 series because i like a couple of their color schemes but a dealer said that he has one and only uses it to race because it whistles at moderate around-town speeds when you're sitting upright and it has a feild of vision made for a crouched, tucked behind the windscreen position. Anyone else have one? Is this true? Secondly, is this true with the other companies too? should I stay away from the race replicas? Please help...i don't wnat to spend a ton of money on something I hate. thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dont mind the noise in any of my helmets (Shoie X-11, Xtec RF800, Arai Quantum) as the ventalation is much more important here in Hawaii. if it really bugs you you can allways wear ear plugs or an MP3 player when you ride.

As far as vision is concerned I think Snell sets those standards for all helmets anyway so I wouldnt presume there would be a difference IMHO.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I test rode an Arai and I thought it was the bees knees. I actually really liked the visibility, a lot more up and to the sides than my HJC (I know I know). I didn't do much riding with the visor up because I was thrilled by how well the venting worked, and the quietness etc, but it'd be tough to make an opening not whistle in varying wind speeds. Each bike/rider combination has such different aerodynamics.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I have an ARAI Rx7-RR4 -- it does not have a whistle at any speed whatsoever, unless your visor is fully UP - then it will actually whistle.

The field of vision on it is no less than excellent in all positions, plus peripheral.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have Arai, Suomy and now Shark. Arai and Suomy are kind of loud at hwy speeds. The Shark is a lot quieter and feels more confortable, and it doesn't fog at all when it is cold.

Arai and Suomy fog really easily in cold conditions. Suomy has better safety standards due to the BSI and Shark has the ECE, which is the same as BSI. However, any of those helmets are good.

I test rode a Shoei X-11, which fitted ok and it was a lot more quiet than the others.

The Shark I have is a RSR2 Supra Red, which is the same as Duhamel's. It's quiet around town, but once you get onto the hwy you can hear the air through your helmet due to the huge front vent.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have an ARAI Rx7-RR4 -- it does not have a whistle at any speed whatsoever, unless your visor is fully UP - then it will actually whistle.

The field of vision on it is no less than excellent in all positions, plus peripheral.
My thoughts exactly. I have an Arai Astral (Roberts replica) and I get no whistle either and the view through the visor is excellent.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to follow up for all you guys out there looking at helmets...I went with the Suomy "Gambler". Looks great but just too "hard" on the inside. It won't break-in for shit. it's supposedly their best style helmet and it's the lightest street legal lid on the planet, but i would never buy another one. it doesn't fog at all though. My old HJC feels better on the ol' knoggin'. it does have a really cool visor that is actually brighter at night...yellow iridium

·
Registered
644 Posts
I don't recall my rx-7 whistling. Here in the desert the ventilation is great. For me the flled of vision is fine as well, I didn't notice any problems with it. Plus it is really light which is a plus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.