Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've had my bike since around 1997, I only rode it for a couple of years, had a kiddie and it's been stored ever since, I'm from the U.K., unknowingly I bought this bike as a jdm so it is limited, it's been stood for years and my freind has just got it running for me, oil change plugs Samco hoses, filter and coolent, and it's running sweet surprisingly, ok I want to try and spec it up a bit to keep up with modern standards, I found your link whilst looking and it was mfngioned about a 2007 1000 rear shock or 750 which is better direct swap, some kind of engine tuning, front fork upgrade packages? Headers, I would like to get her up together so I'll welcome all advice many thanks guys cheers ...

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts

As this is a Canadian/US site and we don't have restricted bikes (except top speed on 1000) you may not get much help. Best bet would be to use the google site search as there have been other threads but not sure if any info of value was shared.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Parts are difficult to find for these old bikes,most are obsolete and have to be sought for on the used-market

·
Calamari
306 Posts
An '07 or '08 gsxr1000 rear shock is a direct bolt in. Only takes about an hour to swap it out. My '95 is originally from Germany and is not restricted. I run an oem header with aftermarket midpipe and muffler (Laser brand). I have found plenty of parts available in Europe. Post up some pics of your bike.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
An '07 or '08 gsxr1000 rear shock is a direct bolt in. Only takes about an hour to swap it out.
How hard is it to do the shock how do I go about it cheers
Doesn't this give you an idea how hard it is? The hardest part is going to be to get the back tire off the ground but not putting any weight on the swing-arm/shock meaning you can't use a stand to lift the bike but others can tell you more about that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just after a basic ad to what needs to come off when fitting, I/e air box and other fixtures or can they stay in place, but as you haven't done one you wouldent know?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Just after a basic ad to what needs to come off when fitting, I/e air box and other fixtures or can they stay in place, but as you haven't done one you wouldent know?
There's no substitute for taking a hands-on approach..get down on the ground and have a look under there...can you see the top shock mount clearly? Or is it buried beneath other parts? Can you see the bottom shock mount clearly? Or is it obstructed by other parts?

It's already been stated that it takes about an hour;so chances are it's pretty straightforward and basic w/out having to disassemble too much....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys cheers, I was replying to know your enemy as he's fitted it so knows excactly what to do, I'm not to proud to ask for others advice.. he's done it so he knows

·
Calamari
306 Posts
Shaunmc, The way that I did it is pretty simple. First, if you have a rear stand, put the bike on it to elevate the rear for as much working space below the bike as possible. If not, you can do it with the bike on the side stand. You will be removing and replacing the shock from below the bike. Others have removed/replaced the shock from the top, but that requires much more work and time. After elevating the bike, remove the seats, rear bodywork and the 2 retaining straps holding the remote shock reservoir . Next, put the bike in first gear to prevent the rear tire from rotating. Put an automotive scissor jack on top of the rear tire. Place a 3cm or 1" thick wooden board across (side to side ) the underside of the rear sub frame rails and on top of the jack. Loosen the shock bolts before raising the jack. Slowly raise the rear sub frame with the jack. This will remove the weight on the shock. Remove the shock bolts and pull the shock down through the bottom of the swing arm. Insert the replacement shock from the bottom. You will need to rotate the shock as you install it because the reservoir is attached to the shock and requires a little maneuvering to get it in place. I worked from the left side of the bike as this allowed more room for my hands and was easier to see. Install the shock bolts. Lower rear sub frame, remove jack and wooden board. Tighten shock bolts and install bodywork. That's about all there is to it. Here are a couple of tips; 1)Take pictures before starting work. This will allow you to have reference pics during the process. 2)When placing the board across rear sub frame, be sure not to place it against anything other than the aluminum rails as while lifting the rear, the jack can crush/distort items. I removed the bolt holding the rear brake reservoir and tied it out of the way. Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out. KYE66:burnout

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers mate thankyou every bit of info helps from people who've been there thank you so much

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep this is brilliant, just the kind of advise I'm after, what's the point of forums if brilliant people like this don't offer up information, top man, an excellent help thankyou

1 - 17 of 17 Posts