Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a red/black 2005 R600. I currently have 700 miles on it and trying to get used to. I cant say I have much experince on the bikes but taking things slowly for the time being. I am very glad that I found these forums and I have been searching and reading for the last 2 weeks. Altough some helped, some stuff got me confused as there are many different opinions about it.

I planned on couple of mods some I had in mind when I got the bike and some I got the idea from this forum so I guess in a way gixxer.com will affect my wallet in an negative way. Anyways here is what I am planning so far:

-Akrapovic bolt on: going on next week. Should I go full system or street legal can is enough? Also Akro is expensive. I was between Yoshi and Akro and still kinda undecided.
-HID lights since I want to see and be visible.
-Smoked bubble windshield. I am considering Zero Gravity. Are there any alternatives that are good?
-I have temporary white fender sliders.
I need to get good black ones.
-Gel seat
This is definitely a mod I got the idea from here.

For the time being I think this is good enough for a first step, tell me your opinions!!!
I live in Turkey so getting stuff is hard, if not hard they charge alot for it.

Also this is the first R bike I own and ride so the pain at my wrists are killing me. Friends say it is because of my seating position and I have to adapt my self. What do you think?

Glad to be here!!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Welcome. Become a site sponsor and you will like this site even more.

Your wrists will get stronger very quickly. Don't worry about the gel seat, it's overrated. You'll run out of gas and get the chance to get off while pumping before your butt gets that numb. Yosh or Akro, either will do. Get whatever your wallet wants to splurge on. A bolt on should do fine for a noob like you. Sliders: once you go black...
Zero gravity seems to be the most popular screen choice. Again, I will highly recommend you take any and all motorcycle safety courses available to you. They will save you money, time, and possibly your life and are well worth any initial costs. Congrats on your bike.

PS-what's an R600???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PS-what's an R600???
Oh sorry. My laziness.
It should be GSX-R 600.

There is a program that I am planning to attend. There are not many choices here since bikes are gettng popular for the last 3 years.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd go yosh just because the last 2 i've had i've been super happy with and also because suzuki and yoshimira do all their r&d together. You can't go wrong with a yosh. HID will be real nice as your visibillity will go way up and they look cool. Black sliders or white as long as you have some on there just go with what you think looks best. I just painted my stock screen and it looks awsome. I'd rather but the 75 bucks i saved on that mod somewhere else. I've never ridden a gel seat but i guess it just matters how long you are usually on the bike before getting off to stretch and also if you have extra money to throw around. When it all comes down to it just do what you like the best with the bike because everyone will have opinions on what's better and what you should do but if you like it then you're on the right track.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family

·
Registered
670 Posts
You got the nice color bro. Congrats on your new bike and make sure you ride with your gear. EIther of the two exhausts would be fine. I personally like the shape of the trs yosh but i would not mind having the akrapovic either. A simple bolt on would be fine. There would be no need for a full system for a 600. Oh yea, you should definitely get black sliders. White looks really cheap and tacky to me, but that's just my opinion. Like avante said, you can just paint the backside of your windscreen for now until you get a new windscreen. Makes the bike looks 100 times better. Zero gravity is an awesome windscreen. The HID kit would be awesome on that bike. I sure wish i had the spare cash to do it. I do agree that the gel seat is over rated. My buddies bike came with one but he sold it on ebay because he said it made his bung hole feel weird. lol. whatever that means.

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
well i know what u mean, got my first bike about 2 months. its a K5 Gixxer 750 yellow and black. your wrist definetly get used to it after awhile jsut because ur still tryin to find the right position. basically support ur weight by squeezing the tank and not holding ur weight up with ur wrists. I have a Yosh RS-3 carbon fiber bolt on. A Puig double bubble windscreen (yellow). Woodcraft engine case covers and frame sliders ( black of course) and a set of Gold Gilles Rearsets. as far as the gel seat goes, never tried but heard some good praise about it. only time my butt felt sore was after a good 6 hours of riding. teh stops for gas did help but i was still a lil sore. regular everyday riding is no problem. Enjoy the bike, DEFINETLY take some riding courses, always wear ur leathers no matter how hot u get and invest in a good set or riding boots. I bought the Sidi Scorpion boots and i love em. ver comfortable and no need to break in.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Dont worry about performance upgrades... infact, if you only plan to ride on the street, you probably should never 'need' a new can. Unless you want a different sound or look, but personally, i LOVE the sound of the stock can, its plenty loud too.

·
Registered
481 Posts
spectre i dont know how loud ur bike is but my stock can is real quite. then again im comparing it to the jardine my old 750s got on it and that bitch it LOUD.
plus man loud pipes save lives.
Welcome to the board Queram ride safe man.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Actually, ive never seen any proof that loud pipes save lives. Smart riding does. If you want to really just be super rediculus loud, buy a harley and a hacksaw.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
haha whats even more rediculous - a loud pipe is usually only "loud" to those behind you.
So by then its kind of pointless.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for clearing me up on some questions I had. Its nice to be here. I went with Akrapovic open bolt on. The sound is very nice, it definitely affected the power. It may not be an amazing power increse but totally different powerband characteristic. The bike accelerates much better now. Also on the loud pipe saves live comment, could not agree more. The trafic here is a chaos here so you need to make sure people know that you are around.

Anyways I have another question in mind. I rode friends previous generation Yamaha R1 ad I felt much comfortable. For example the bike felt smaller. I am 5'10 and I could step on my feet on the bike. I can barely reach on my Suzuki. Also in a corner, lets say an higway exit, I could put the bike on the line with less effort and felt safer than my bike. My bike seems to be wanting to go straight in turns like that:) Is this because of the weight and the center of gravity being lower than my bike. I really could not figure it out.

BTW, I always wear my gear even for short trips, if I am too lazy to gear up I take the car.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Also on the loud pipe saves live comment, could not agree more. The trafic here is a chaos here so you need to make sure people know that you are around.

As far as the height - wierd, I'm 5'10" also and can lay my feet flat on the ground. I have the same bike as you, color and all...
Have you thought about getting it lowered about 1"??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe my legs are shorter than yours, who knows. Is there a negative side for decreasing the height of the bike??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts