Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can see i have to have a piece machined so the swingarm bolt will fit secure when it bolts to the frame, but what do i do with the shock? the 94 has a completely different connector (to the frame) than the 86. if i used the 86, what do i do with the two arms that come off of the swingarm that connect to the shock? i would prefer to use the newer shock, being that it is made for the swingarm. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I tried to fit a 94 braced style to my 750 and it will not fit as to the 1100 I am not shure. The problem on the 750 is the dia of the tube for the pivot bolt on the swingarm is so big it hits the engine, which means you would have to relocate the motor, on the 1100 I do not know if there is more clearance check this carefully. As for the rest search back a bit and there is lots of info posted on how to solve the bushing, linkage, shock, problem. Also watch out for changing the wheelbase too much, also when I did a trial fit the rearsets would have to go as they will not clear the bracing on the swingarm and the battery would have to be shortened to a smaller one or relocated, all in all lots of mods required doesnt mean it cannot be done but looks like way too much work.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I'm trying an 1100 banana swing arm in my 86 frame as it happens. It is longer than stock and I will need a bit more chain but the two key problems are...

The diameter of the pivot bolt is larger than stock. I have a roller bearing insert that will fit inside the swingarm but I have to have it machined larger for the stock swing arm pivot bolt to fit through.

The pivot spacer on the stock swingarm is eccentric. If you remember the one Mr Gixxer had remachined to have a pivot hole centered properly, that is the other issue I'm having. I just have to have that machined also.

The stock shock works for me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Simon on yours the spacers from the larger arm will slide over the smaller spacer, use the smaller pivot bolt and locktite the spacers together so the smaller inner spacer that slides over the pivot bolt will hold everything in the right place. PS you can go up to the 94 size with 2 spacers and they all slide inside one another, as I said before I ran into a clearance problem with the engine and transmission cases, the clearance could probably be solved by machining a flat side to the front of the pivot tube and then welding a plate across the hole, or machining off the pivot tube and welding up a new smaller tube. Personally I had a beer and waited for the idea to pass.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey all, i went searching last night and found the picturre attached of exactly what you need to do to get the 94 to work on the 86 frame. i have since dropped the 94 part off at the machine shop to cut it down and make another of the smaller sleeves to slide into the other side. this way it will have the tight fit on both sides. this way everything off of the 94 swingarm should work with the tabs on the 86 frame. what is this about clearance of the swing arm against the tran
ny?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The center hole in the eccentric works the best. The other picture is from my bike, everything bolts up except for the shock. There is not enough room for the shock to fit. Doug knows his shit, he helped me with my swap. The whole thing is trial and error.
I think I am going to get some adjustable dogbones so I will have the ablility to fine tune and get everything just right.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by doug:
Simon on yours the spacers from the larger arm will slide over the smaller spacer, use the smaller pivot bolt and locktite the spacers together so the smaller inner spacer that slides over the pivot bolt will hold everything in the right place. PS you can go up to the 94 size with 2 spacers and they all slide inside one another

Personally I had a beer and waited for the idea to pass.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I recall you had said the same thing months ago when I started my swap...but I'm aftaid you're mistaken or I've got a differnt configuration. They don't fit quite as snug as you suggest.

The "beer" solution for problem solving is my favorite as well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The clearance problam is with the back of the engine/trans and the front edge of the pivot arm, this is on a 750 on an 1100 there may be more room. When you go to the later years of swing arms the front pivot bolt is bigger in dia so far I have found 3 diff pivot bolt sizes the good news is the hardend steel bearing race that rides on the roller bearings in the swingarm itself all slide into each other the problem is the inner spacer tube that keeps these bearings in place on the rollers is the same dia as these hardened steels. You locktite 2 together so you can use the newer swingarm with the smaller pivot bolt, otherwise the larger bearing can slide over the inner spacer and thus not ride on the needle rollers this would be really bad for your health.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mr. gixxer, what year is the new swingarm that you put on yours and did you have to make new dog bones. how was that, a pain in the ass?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Mr. Gixxer Has a 92 1100 swing arm...
-Karl

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Originally posted by oldskool86:
mr. gixxer, what year is the new swingarm that you put on yours and did you have to make new dog bones. how was that, a pain in the ass?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no pain once Doug made me the bits and pieces

I did have to grind down some of the casting irregularities to get enough clearance for the shock/spring

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
what would similar pieces cost and are they available as im trying to do the same swap but i want all my stuff ready before i tackle it. thanks ej

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IT WAS NOT HARD GETTING THE PARTS MADE. IJUST PRINTED ALL OF THE PICS OFF OF HERE AND SHOWED THE MACHINIST AND AWAY HE WENT.............WHAT HURT WAS MY ASS WHEN I WENT TO PAY FOR HIS SERVICES..........$200 LATER. OH WELL, I GUESS THATS THE PRICE FOR BEAUTY. DOUG IS A LOT OF HELP. IM GOING TO BE ACCESSING HIS BRAIN AGAIN REAL SOON WHEN I START MEASURING THE WHOLE DOGBONE THING. GOOD LUCK. ITLL LOOK SWEET WHEN ITS DONE

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
There is a website that has adjustable dogbones. If they work that might make it easy to fine tune the suspension.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My understanding (duh) was that the '93 swingarm would literally bolt right on to my '88 750. I have the swingarm sitting right beside the bike right now, but damned if I'm going to try to tackle it if it's a major friggin' pain in the rear.

Are the problems chronicled in this post only for the '86 bikes? Or do I face a similar fate?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ask specific questions to mr gixxer or doug flett. doug has help[ed me tremendously during my swap over. he really knows his shit. he has told me things that i never would have thought to do. he will walk you all the way through the swap. dont get discouraged, nothing that is cool is that easily done..........hang in there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts