Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could anyone who has done this Helibar conversion on the 2017-2019 Gixxer-1000 comment on how the bike feels/reacts? Since they are now higher and also wider was wondering if the bike still felt the same?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could anyone who has done this Helibar conversion on the 2017-2019 Gixxer-1000 comment on how the bike feels/reacts? Since they are now higher and also wider was wondering if the bike still felt the same?
As a strictly road rider, it feels to me like the bike should be in the first place. Of course I realize it is a track purposed bike, but I think many of us ride street/road exclusively..

I don't feel any ill effects in handling . I feel an improvement in slow parking lot type riding and pushing the bike around also.

Keep in mind the change is minimal, all they do is change the angle of the handle bar coming out from the fork clamp .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
As a strictly road rider, it feels to me like the bike should be in the first place.

I couldn't have said that better.
Plus, because of the more upright seating position, you have a slightly better throttle control, useful with the, sometimes, snatchy fueling.

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay thank y’all for answering my questions. Have been considering purchasing them for mine. As a short rider it would be nice to be able to be in a slightly less hunched over position.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey guys, I installed some helibars on my L7 and even with the 30 day return policy I am not sending them back. I did a 125 mile ride last Sunday and my neck used to get tired before and now it was no problem. The thing I notice the most is how much easier it is to keep my body weight off of my wrists and can keep light pressure on the bars. Downsides are you get more of a wind blast with the less forward lean (might get a taller screen) and slightly slower turn in because of the different hand angle. I would say good for street and not for track.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have helibars on my 2017 1000, small change, yet a big improvement in comfort. IMO the stock bars are just to for forward/down.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Nice.. but if you want to take it to the next level, grab these. I finally got around to throwing mine on, and the confort it provides is amazing. Will post some pics later. Now I am just trying to find some bar ends that will fit these bars. I think I will end up with even higher bars, maybe some pro tapers or Renthal. No more stopping on my daily canyon loop runs up angeles crest/GMR/Mt. Baldy

ABM Riser Kit

·
Registered
L7 Gixxer 1k
91 Posts
Nice.. but if you want to take it to the next level, grab these. I finally got around to throwing mine on, and the confort it provides is amazing. Will post some pics later. Now I am just trying to find some bar ends that will fit these bars. I think I will end up with even higher bars, maybe some pro tapers or Renthal. No more stopping on my daily canyon loop runs up angeles crest/GMR/Mt. Baldy

ABM Riser Kit

I'd love to meet up with anyone who has raised the bars on their bike to check their setup out.
Any chance of meeting up with any of you at New Jersey Motorsports Park for their track day
6 / 1 / 21?
Some other location or day?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,397 Posts
I'd love to meet up with anyone who has raised the bars on their bike to check their setup out.
Any chance of meeting up with any of you at New Jersey Motorsports Park for their track day
6 / 1 / 21?

Thanks

Do you like camping??

·
Registered
L7 Gixxer 1k
91 Posts
6 / 1 / 21?

Thanks
Did a track day with my 2018 Gixxer1k-R back to back with the new Aprilia RSV4 and Tuono.
I was shocked how much the more upright bars on the Tuono helped with my neck issues.
I was thinking of mounting Helibars ABOVE my triple tree, or going with this kit below:

So, I'm gonna reach out to the forum and ask again:

Anyone out there modify their 2017+ 1k with helibars or motorcross style bars and what do you have to say about the result?

I'd love to meet up with someone who has and check it out in person before I make the mods to my Gixxer.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was thinking of mounting Helibars ABOVE my triple tree, or going with this kit below:
You DO realize you CAN simply put the OEM clip-ons ABOVE the top triple- raising the bars the thickness of the top triple clamp, right? FREE.
It works great, no other modifications needed.
I rode mine this way for a few years, then put them back to OEM position no though for the TECh at a track day. they probably wouldn't have even noticed however.

·
Registered
L7 Gixxer 1k
91 Posts
You DO realize you CAN simply put the OEM clip-ons ABOVE the top triple- raising the bars the thickness of the top triple clamp, right? FREE.
It works great, no other modifications needed.
I rode mine this way for a few years, then put them back to OEM position no though for the TECh at a track day. they probably wouldn't have even noticed however.
Thanks for the response (y)
Your the first person to say they've mounted their clip ons ABOVE the triple tree.
Everyone Ive talked to have said theyve never even seen it done before.

Can you confirm the year and model of the bike you did this on?
Any parts or modifications required?
How long did it take and how much do you think I should pay a buddy or a dealer to do it for me?

What was your impressions of the mod?
You think I should mount the stock clip ons above, buy helibars and mount them above, or just go with that dirt bike handle bar kit?

(The front of my 2018 GSXR 1k-R is already lowered 15mm, so I already have 15mm of additional shock sticking out above the triple tree, which I believe leaves me with a total of 40mm of shock protruding above my triple tree)

I'd really love to meet up with someone who's already tried some of the above options and see the result for myself.

Thanks again (y)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks for the response (y)
Your the first person to say they've mounted their clip ons ABOVE the triple tree.
Everyone Ive talked to have said theyve never even seen it done before.

Can you confirm the year and model of the bike you did this on?
Any parts or modifications required?
How long did it take and how much do you think I should pay a buddy or a dealer to do it for me?

What was your impressions of the mod?
You think I should mount the stock clip ons above, buy helibars and mount them above, or just go with that dirt bike handle bar kit?

(The front of my 2018 GSXR 1k-R is already lowered 15mm, so I already have 15mm of additional shock sticking out above the triple tree, which I believe leaves me with a total of 40mm of shock protruding above my triple tree)

I'd really love to meet up with someone who's already tried some of the above options and see the result for myself.

Thanks again (y)
I saw it done (clip ons above the triple tree) at a bike night in town years ago. A few weeks later, I did it myself on my K6 1000. I kept it thaty way for at least 2 years- with NO problems at all. Then, preparing for a Track day- while I doubt 'tech' may have even noticed, I didn't want it to fail b/c of this. So, I put them back to the OEM position.
Yes, there is a little tab that fits in the bottom of the top triple OEM.
It didn't matter when I put it on top and tightened the clamp bolt well. I just made sure the fork tube and inside the clip on was clean and dry. I thought about using lock tite in the clamp on the tube- but never did and it never slipped.

No modifications required- I may have bent the front Mc brace a little- can't remember.

It took a little while to do- not long. You have to loosen the fork tubes, slide them down, and then back up again too. A hanging system for the front works well too.

I think you should do it yourself- or have a 'buddy' help- for free LOL
I wouldn't pay a shop to do this myself.

My impression was it mad a small but significant difference! All Free.

Do what you want. If money is no object (it is for me), then mod it how you want.
I used what I had, put then n top- never had them slip or a problem with it.- raised the OEM bars/clips-ons- free.

HTH

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmmmmm. Mounting clip-ons above the triple clamp. I kind of dismissed this.

During much of GSXR's production since 1986, 750's have had clip-ons below the triple clamp, while the 1100 had the clip-ons above. So I had always considered this. However, since I HAD the non-R, my forks were flush with the triple clamp.

But now that I have the Ohlins front forks, I have about as much meat above the triple clamp as the R's BFF have. This is certainly a possibility with either the original bars or the Heli-bars. Hmmmmmm....... Has me thinking.

As a side note. Comparing the stock bars above the triple clamp versus the helibars below, the stock bars on top of the triple clamp would only be marginally higher than the helibars below the triple clamp. For true touring comfort the Helibars on top would be quite relaxing. Something to consider.

Bmws1K19: you are more than welcome to stop by my home to see helibars, however I think I am about 3,000 miles away in Long Beach, CA

·
Registered
L7 Gixxer 1k
91 Posts
As a side note. Comparing the stock bars above the triple clamp versus the helibars below, the stock bars on top of the triple clamp would only be marginally higher than the helibars below the triple clamp.
For true touring comfort the Helibars on top would be quite relaxing. Something to consider.
THIS is exactly what I'm thinking of trying out (y)

Bmws1K19: you are more than welcome to stop by my home to see helibars, however I think I am about 3,000 miles away in Long Beach, CA
Greatly appreciated (y)
But, you're right. Kinda far :)

So, anyone in the Northeast or MidAtlantic have bar modifications done that I can come check out?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts