Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bought the clip-ons and I'm waiting form them to arrive.
I just wanted to ask if someone has experience with this product.
I recently bought a system of a German company but I had to send it back (great idea but totally not compatible with the Gixxer, despite being sold for this specific model).
I'll post the pictures of the clip-ons installed, once they get in my greasy hands...
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
I'm bought the clip-ons and I'm waiting form them to arrive.
I just wanted to ask if someone has experience with this product.
I recently bought a system of a German company but I had to send it back (great idea but totally not compatible with the Gixxer, despite being sold for this specific model).
I'll post the pictures of the clip-ons installed, once they get in my greasy hands...
Cheers
While you wait for an answer, use the site search function.
I'm sure you'll find many riders have discussed them in the past..:thumbup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here we go with a couple of pictures.
The installation was "almost" easy.
The inside diameter of the clip-ons was 49,7 mm instead of 50...
That brought some extra hassle.
Other than that everything went fine.
No problem at all with the cable length (that was my main concern).
The bike has now a more upright seating position.
Not a dramatic change to be honest, but more comfy nonetheless.
Hope it helps with my chronic neck pain...
Cheers

Attachments

·
Thenthative.
48 Posts
woah! have you adjusted the drop of your forks through the yolk because that looks way off. it's 16mm standard. Recommendations, depending on your style and size is to drop them through to 6-8mm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is cool. How much higher are they?
Helibars says 41 higher than OEM (they are also 25 mm more rearward and 38mm wider)
Nice forks, what's the next project for you?
Next modifications are the rearsets.
Since I'm trying to make the bike more comfortable, I've picked the GILLES MUE2.
They are the only rearsets that I found that, in certain positions, are lower and more forward than the stock ones.
They are not cheap, though...

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,950 Posts
It always amuses me when people buy a sport bike and immediately start buying things to increase comfort. You bought the wrong bike. A Hayabusa, ZX14, or Concours should have been what you ordered.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Everybody is different. Maybe he has back pain or is older than others around here. I don’t know. If thats what you need to do to keep riding then I think thats great! Im definitely jealous of the ohlins front forks and rear shock on his bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Hayabusa, ZX14, or Concours should have been what you ordered.
I really don't like the Pachyderms that you mentioned, actually.
I fell in love with sportbikes in the 90's and early 2000, when they were nimble and decently comfortable: think of the first gsxr 1000, the 929/954, the zx9 (I had them all!)
I'm just trying to replicate the ergonomics of one of these.
Of course with the added benefits of today's technology (electronics, to name the first).
So far, so good, I'd like to say.
Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really don't like the Pachyderms that you mentioned, actually.
I fell in love with sportbikes in the 90's and early 2000, when they were nimble and decently comfortable: think of thwe first gsxr 1000, the 929/954, the zx9 (I had them all!)
I'm just trying to replicate the ergonomics of one of these.
Of course with the added benefits of today's technology (electronics, to name the first).
So far, so good, I'd like to say.
Cheers

This is my thinking also. I have a B king, which is certainly more comfortable, but it still probably weighs around 540 lbs despite mods to lighten it.

I bought a Gsxs1000 to recapture the old joy of my K6 with added bonus of comfort, but the Gsxs just didn't quite live up to Gsxr 1000 performance standards so I traded it in on a 2018 Gsxr with the full intention of raising the bars a bit.

It will never see a track but it will be fun on my rural roads accelerating through the lower gears once in a while , and taking a rare Florida curve about 4 times per ride.
It's what I do :smile:

·
Super Moderator
17,240 Posts
It always amuses me when people buy a sport bike and immediately start buying things to increase comfort. You bought the wrong bike. A Hayabusa, ZX14, or Concours should have been what you ordered.
We all ride for our own reason. It's ridiculous to think everyone's reason is the same. I've been riding street for 36 year's and I figure as long as you ride safely & responsibly, it doesn't matter why..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can you take a picture of the clearance with the fairings when you fully lock the handlebars? Do they hit the fairings or get too close?

Also you said that the clipons are more rearward, was that to Heli’s specs or you did that for clearance?

Thanks! Considering doing the same mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you take a picture of the clearance with the fairings when you fully lock the handlebars? Do they hit the fairings or get too close?

Also you said that the clipons are more rearward, was that to Heli’s specs or you did that for clearance?

Thanks! Considering doing the same mod!

I also did this install a week ago and can tell you there is adequate clearance for everything when turned to full lock.
There is no way to adjust them horizontally on the forks as they are meant to lock in to the locating space underneath the top triple. They are fine as designed as far as clearance, the closest fit is between the high brake fluid reservoir and stock wind screen, and that could be adjusted slightly via the reservoir bracket.

I don't think they put me quite in a Busa class comfort, but they are an improvement for a road bike. I would say for me maybe a 25% comfort improvement.

Easy install with factory cables and you would have to look closely to tell they are not stock.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Can you post a pic of what they look like installed?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also did this install a week ago and can tell you there is adequate clearance for everything when turned to full lock.

There is no way to adjust them horizontally on the forks as they are meant to lock in to the locating space underneath the top triple. They are fine as designed as far as clearance, the closest fit is between the high brake fluid reservoir and stock wind screen, and that could be adjusted slightly via the reservoir bracket.

I don't think they put me quite in a Busa class comfort, but they are an improvement for a road bike. I would say for me maybe a 25% comfort improvement.

Easy install with factory cables and you would have to look closely to tell they are not stock.

Thanks Imbroglio! Appreciate the detailed response. Do they only have one height or are we able to get higher bars? If so, is the one you have at the upper end of clearance (as in, any higher and it would probably not clear fully locked)?

If you could post pics of it fully locked when you have a chance it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Couldn't get the pics to post, see Albarthos pics for a good representation.

The big plus for helibars is that you don't have to change anything but the bars, they get the height by just changing the angle of the handle portion of the bars.
Downside is you get only the one position, they claim 1.5 inches higher @ wrist position.

If you want higher you will have to start changing cables and worrying about fairing clearance.
I went with Apex adjustable clip ons on my K6 a few years ago, they might give you another inch higher and nearly infinite bar angles and backsweep options after a bunch of experimentation to get fairing clearance.

They still looked good on bike but were not quite stock looking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After about 45 mins in stock position my back starts to ache, so hopefully this will relieve that.

I’m also getting the MC Cruise electronic cruise control to give my wrist a break during long stretches on the highway.

This thread has been a god send!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
After about 45 mins in stock position my back starts to ache, so hopefully this will relieve that.

I’m also getting the MC Cruise electronic cruise control to give my wrist a break during long stretches on the highway.
I just installed my MC Cruise system a couple weeks ago. It's a game changer. I also have Helis.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I don't know what kind of riding you do -- or if, in fact, you ride at all. It's not uncommon for me to ride three or four back to back 500-600 mile days to and from and in the mountains.

I'm also probably older than you. There was a time when I raged against the addition of comfort items as well. I'm. Here to tell you that time is kind to no man. It's even less kind to women, so, one small victory for us.

I have a lot of bikes, and I ride them differently. Surprisingly, the bike I ride most, in the most boring conditions, is my Honda F4i that I keep in Florida. It's 100% stock, and I sit on that for hundreds of miles at a time.

I've ridden Hayabusas, ZX-14s, and even the Kawasaki H2SX. I could have bought any bike I wanted. I wanted the GSX-RR.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts