Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve just gotta say if anyone is wanting heated grips you have gotta go for the Oxford Advanced Sports ones! I picked them up for £60 and fitted them myself so cheap as chips and only took around 45 minutes to fit. They literally just connect to the battery, wired it under the tank and they automatically turn off if left on and it detects the battery is running low! they have so many different heat settings and I can use my summer gloves with them even in this cold weather as they keep me so warm giving me more feel over my controls. A must have for any of you guys that ride year round like myself

Audio equipment Gadget Font Microphone Gas

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,686 Posts
I've frozen my hands a couple times when starting out early on a cool morning so I'm aware of the issue. However be aware that the electrical system on our bikes has little excess capacity and I think the Oxford can draw almost 4 amps. Try to use the lowest setting that you can get by with and think about some warmer gloves.

I see Renthal clip-ons. Have you had any issues with the bar angle? My measurements indicate that the OEMs are 9° bar angle and 43 mm offset. Not sure but the Renthals might be 7°. As I recall, there was a recall of the Renthals a couple years ago because of a potential stress corrosion issue with 7075-T6 aluminum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don’t know if you can get the koso heated grips In the uk, but it’s a little cleaner install and they have five or six heat settings.
I have mine wired to a positive with the key on, works flawlessly on my 17.

I’ve just gotta say if anyone is wanting heated grips you have gotta go for the Oxford Advanced Sports ones! I picked them up for £60 and fitted them myself so cheap as chips and only took around 45 minutes to fit. They literally just connect to the battery, wired it under the tank and they automatically turn off if left on and it detects the battery is running low! they have so many different heat settings and I can use my summer gloves with them even in this cold weather as they keep me so warm giving me more feel over my controls. A must have for any of you guys that ride year round like myself

View attachment 579252
View attachment 579254
View attachment 579253

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
is there an HD stator available? mosfet R/R for sure, put it on a relay.. I have a pair of goretex ski gloves I bring along when its cold and wet, waterproof and windproof, costco had em in the day for $19.99 or so.. they work OK for freeway so forth and keep your hands toasty., only thing is you lose all feel due to their thickness, these are early mid 90's gloves I am sure they have way better ski/snowmobile gloves today.. waterproof and windproof, no matter how cold it gets my hands never get cold tho..

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,686 Posts
A couple years ago Sportbike Track Gear was closing out some SIDI Deep gloves for $30. I bought a pair for 40 degree riding. But they're long discontinued. They seem fine in very limited usage. For a bunch more money there was the Held Warm n Dry. But I think it's also discontinued.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had those Oxfords fitted to my first thou AL6 model and I had no problems with them at all. The alternator has more than enough spare capacity to run them. I liked the grips and they were the hottest I have ever encountered. For my second AL6 (don't ask) I went with Daytona grips with an integrated switch. These are a cleaner install. They don't get quite as hot as the Oxfords but they are still hot. They don't turn off automatically either but I run them though a Healtech Thunderbox which shuts them down for me. Bike gloves companies should offer more gloves designed with heated grips in mind. Less insulation on the palms and more for the back of the hands.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be honest the rental bars were done by the previous owner, I’ve had no problems with them and find them really comfy but I will perhaps have to look into that recall matter so thank you for the heads up!

I've frozen my hands a couple times when starting out early on a cool morning so I'm aware of the issue. However be aware that the electrical system on our bikes has little excess capacity and I think the Oxford can draw almost 4 amps. Try to use the lowest setting that you can get by with and think about some warmer gloves.

I see Renthal clip-ons. Have you had any issues with the bar angle? My measurements indicate that the OEMs are 9° bar angle and 43 mm offset. Not sure but the Renthals might be 7°. As I recall, there was a recall of the Renthals a couple years ago because of a potential stress corrosion issue with 7075-T6 aluminum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is there an HD stator available? mosfet R/R for sure, put it on a relay.. I have a pair of goretex ski gloves I bring along when its cold and wet, waterproof and windproof, costco had em in the day for $19.99 or so.. they work OK for freeway so forth and keep your hands toasty., only thing is you lose all feel due to their thickness, these are early mid 90's gloves I am sure they have way better ski/snowmobile gloves today.. waterproof and windproof, no matter how cold it gets my hands never get cold tho..
so you are using ski gloves on the motorbike?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had those Oxfords fitted to my first thou AL6 model and I had no problems with them at all. The alternator has more than enough spare capacity to run them. I liked the grips and they were the hottest I have ever encountered. For my second AL6 (don't ask) I went with Daytona grips with an integrated switch. These are a cleaner install. They don't get quite as hot as the Oxfords but they are still hot. They don't turn off automatically either but I run them though a Healtech Thunderbox which shuts them down for me. Bike gloves companies should offer more gloves designed with heated grips in mind. Less insulation on the palms and more for the back of the hands.
Yes I agree as my knuckles still do feel the cold unfortunately 😬

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
so you are using ski gloves on the motorbike?

yes I do when its cold and or wet, specially for long distance freeway, they work well hands never get cold as the wet nor wind can get the hands and they are fleece lined, they are just sorta slippery with several layers so you lose that good feel directly to the grip, OK for freeway, wouldn't race in them, worn them in below freezing, "Head Outlast" Costco sold em way back in the early 90's, my second pair I lost out the bed of a pickup truck in the mid 90's, basically the same glove different color design.. they work great for snowmobile as well we used to have a couple..

my hands have never gotten cold in those gloves not sure how cold they go to, I been in 20 below riding no issues at all.. only trade off is the diminished feel.. can grab brakes clutch just fine...

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
I actually bought an entire gore tex snowboard suit at costco back in the early 90's and it works so well for foul weather, specially cold longer rides, I stay toasty in the suit and its washable, wear my gortex boots, good helmet no foul weather can discourage me from riding.. the jacket and pants go right over leathers.. work great, I bought extra large sizing to go over gear.. still have that as well..

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Costco actually sells a modern poair with touchscreen fingers, same price, crazy, they look thinner maybe better feel not as thick.. I thinks its a new technology similar to gortex but not as heavy? Gore Tex is a patent so maybe its the same just a different name, you know how the chynese get around these things..

made in USA can be found I searched around a bit and most your USA ski/snow/snowmobile companies are still making suits and gloves... these suits work well, goretex is breathable so it doesnt let moisture build up so forth, if a guy has time to stop and change remove leathers, put ona good sweater with long johns underneath and then a good fitting gore tex jacket pants you will stay toasty and not flap in the wind..

one reason leather is used not just for abrasion but wind durability, how many have tried the yellow rain gear over the top, hunnerd miles and its ripped up form the wind as its loose fitting.. my large goretex doesn't have that issue its tear resistant.. but to reduce flapping and possible noise go more form fitting so there is nothing loose to flap.. I since have a nice set of helly hansen rain gear I lay at the bottom of my side bags.. gets too bad I'd whip those out and stay dry at least, just wont breathe so moisture heat can build up underneath.. oh well just hang em to dry overnight good to go

here's the new style, they look thinner more streamlined.. if they keep your hands warm and dry why not?

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
wonder how these would work?

they seem like neoprene like diving suit material, if they keep hands warm and dry why not, not much abrasion resistance but they have grip and fit skin tight so you get all that feel..

might try a pair, they do need a large gauntlet tho don't they?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Costco actually sells a modern poair with touchscreen fingers, same price, crazy, they look thinner maybe better feel not as thick.. I thinks its a new technology similar to gortex but not as heavy? Gore Tex is a patent so maybe its the same just a different name, you know how the chynese get around these things..

made in USA can be found I searched around a bit and most your USA ski/snow/snowmobile companies are still making suits and gloves... these suits work well, goretex is breathable so it doesnt let moisture build up so forth, if a guy has time to stop and change remove leathers, put ona good sweater with long johns underneath and then a good fitting gore tex jacket pants you will stay toasty and not flap in the wind..

one reason leather is used not just for abrasion but wind durability, how many have tried the yellow rain gear over the top, hunnerd miles and its ripped up form the wind as its loose fitting.. my large goretex doesn't have that issue its tear resistant.. but to reduce flapping and possible noise go more form fitting so there is nothing loose to flap.. I since have a nice set of helly hansen rain gear I lay at the bottom of my side bags.. gets too bad I'd whip those out and stay dry at least, just wont breathe so moisture heat can build up underneath.. oh well just hang em to dry overnight good to go

here's the new style, they look thinner more streamlined.. if they keep your hands warm and dry why not?

Oh wow well thank you, perhaps need to look into that for my motorway riding in the winter 👍

·
Registered
27 Posts
The ski gloves I have tried work well, but when it's sub zero (in centigrade) and you are in the wind blast for an hour or more I find you have to have a source of heat somewhere. Call me a wuss but heated kit is part of my essential winter biking gear be it grips, gloves, jacket etc. The other disadvantage of the ski type glove is they are not designed with protection in mind like a bike glove would be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts