Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Health or Finances, which has the highest priority?

Well, only speaking for myself..:nono I handled my finances like a drunken sailor. Broke as a doornail and might go bellyup sometime soon. However, at 69, my health is up there. Bustin the roof. Way better than average for my age.

A while back, I made a choice. Okay, I can give up my time for the extra job, that extra whatever to make more money, or I can spend that time exercising, enjoy the sportbike, relaxing, almost stress free. I can do this because I am divorced, kids are grown, and I am very loose. I try to stay loose not to get in any set pattern.

I am 69 years old, my finances look like the Amittyville Horror, and that is being kind. However, I hit the gym on 5 to 6 days a week. I eat healthy, I ride/race my sportbikes, and I am dating younger ladies. My health is really banging at 69. However, if I didn't make the choice to devote to a healthy lifestyle, and not going to stress myself out, I wouldn't be in this good of shape, but my finances might be a little better, in fact a whole lot better.

What made me think of this topic, is because lately a lot of my friends, around the same age as me, got their finances looking super good, but they are no where near in the shape I am in, and in fact some of them are sickly and in bad health. That is not to put them down and put me up.. But, my choice of a healthy lifestyle and almost everything else be damn, at 69, for me, and let me say that again, for me, works out just fine.

This morning at the gym, the ladies are complimenting me on my body. I am dating a lady 46 years old, and built like a brick shithouse.. I am scooting around on my K7 on the street, and banging on the racetrack with my race bike. I might go bankrupt in a year or less, but the fun I have had, and still having is priceless. I attibute it all working out which allows me to be in super good shape for my age.

Sheesh, I have survived a couple 100mph+ crashes on the racetrack, and on each one of those crashes, I did pushups so the cornerworkers could see the old man is okay. :nonoBTW, at the last race I was in, and at the racer's meeting, they specified no "pushups" if you crashed and gave me the stare!! :biggrin

Just felt like blabbing about this cause the old man is broke, but dam if I ain't feeling super good at this point in time.

Here I am at 69, just a couple days ago doing a posing run at Starbucks in 35 degree weather!! :)

Here I am 4 days ago pulling up to the gym at 5:25 am in the morning in 14 degrees weather.. Loved it..:)

·
Wants Robert Pattinson to explore his Twilight Sta
3,415 Posts
both for me. as you cannot be too healthy if you are concerned about bills and if you are in tons of debt. but if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to pick then health.

cehowy, how are you gonna go bankrupt? is that an exaggeration or true stuff? if so i wouldnt worry about it as you are of age and who cares. you could live till 100 or 90 but being 68, i would not care at that point. however im young and still have 60 or more years god willing so i have to be concerned with both

j

·
3,415 Posts
you look good by the way and i want to be like you when im get older looking after myself and living life

j

·
Thugnificent
10,609 Posts
my health is more important.

Money come and go. As long as I have enough of it to pay bills and support my motorcycle "lifestyle," then I'm happy....and I save a little too.

Your happiness is the most important.

"...dating a lady 46 years old, and built like a brick shithouse." :lol

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
both for me. as you cannot be too healthy if you are concerned about bills and if you are in tons of debt. but if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to pick then health.

cehowy, how are you gonna go bankrupt? is that an exaggeration or true stuff? if so i wouldnt worry about it as you are of age and who cares. you could live till 100 or 90 but being 68, i would not care at that point. however im young and still have 60 or more years god willing so i have to be concerned with both

j
Well, the money is real short, I tell ya that!!:crying I am at the point, I don't worry about it..

At your age, you are the right track, take of both of them..I am a retired-professional-gambler, that started working way, way late in the years!!:biggrin So, that is where my free lance style comes from. I am still working now, and very fortunate that I have a perk job. At my age, I don't want to waste nary a second of my time. No tellin when this, or all this for that matter is going to stop.. I know I am beatin the wheel, so I go for it now, and later for later. :)

I was just wondering cause lately I have been seeing a lot of peeps my age creeping around, getting big time sick and here I am flying around on the sportbike, acting silly, and really go about things as if I don't have a care in the world.. I did an hour and half workout this morning. I was smokin too. Sometimes I am hitting it a the gym so hard, I get a lot of stares.. And I am constantly hitting on the ladies!! There is one lady that is always giving me compliments, and she is HOT!! I kept telling her that we got to workout together one day, and that always brings a big smile to her face, cause she knows where I am coming from. She is a fine 45 years old. :drool

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my health is more important.

Money come and go. As long as I have enough of it to pay bills and support my motorcycle "lifestyle," then I'm happy....and I save a little too.

Your happiness is the most important.

"...dating a lady 46 years old, and built like a brick shithouse." :lol
Tis the truth too. I always had/got more than I can handle.. Check me out.. I am 6ft 3in at 140 lbs. My present friend is 5ft 11in tall, and weighs 196 lbs..

Picture that combo in action!!:drool

·
Thugnificent
10,609 Posts
Tis the truth too. I always had/got more than I can handle.. Check me out.. I am 6ft 3in at 140 lbs. My present friend is 5ft 11in tall, and weighs 196 lbs..

Picture that combo in action!!:drool
is most of that 196 lbs is ass? :lol

"She's a brick...house. She mighty mighty, just lettin' all hang out." - Ohio Players

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is most of that 196 lbs is ass? :lol

"She's a brick...house. She mighty mighty, just lettin' all hang out." - Ohio Players
You must got eyes through the computer!! It is mostly ass and legs, (thunder thighs), tits, and mighty big arms. I have told her that if she ever gets mad at me, and go to bangin on me, I am getting my pistol!! :). she has already lifted things up in my house that I wouldn't even attempt to lift.:scared

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Am I the only one thinking WTF after reading his post...lol? Health is always more important than money however I don't see how the two are related. I can see your health going down hill due to stress of not having any money but I can't see how working out and and staying fit could ever dramatically affect your finances unless you gave up work for sports or something and it didn't work out. What are you going on about lefty? Basically you blew all your money having a good time and are now trying to justify it by saying you chose health over money....lol.....lay off the whiskey Coleman!!! It's like saying - Reading or Sex. "Well, I read a whole lot and am really knowledgeable but I haven't fucked (a woman) in years - all my friends around me fucked everything that moved when they were younger but they don't know shit about shit!"

I can relate though, whenever I get done with a hard, hard workout - I just have to go spend all my money. If I really push it I get a massive urge to quit working - I mean, you can't do one or other. You crack me up doo-wop.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Am I the only one thinking WTF after reading his post...lol? Health is always more important than money however I don't see how the two are related. I can see your health going down hill due to stress of not having any money but I can't see how working out and and staying fit could ever dramatically affect your finances unless you gave up work for sports or something and it didn't work out. What are you going on about lefty? Basically you blew all your money having a good time and are now trying to justify it by saying you chose health over money....lol.....lay off the whiskey Coleman!!! It's like saying - Reading or Sex. "Well, I read a whole lot and am really knowledgeable but I haven't fucked (a woman) in years - all my friends around me fucked everything that moved when they were younger but they don't know shit about shit!"

I can relate though, whenever I get done with a hard, hard workout - I just have to go spend all my money. If I really push it I get a massive urge to quit working - I mean, you can't do one or other. You crack me up doo-wop.
You know, it is possible that in referring to his "health" there is a emotional health aspect that could be related on some level to finances. If what he's chosen to do with his money has made him happy then I'd say it was worth it, but ultimately any question about happiness and how it relates to how you (read:him) should be feeling is a question you can't pose to anyone but yourself.

The guy obviously was having a bit of a introspective moment, chose to write it down for everyone to see, and you give a "get real, grow up" speech? So to answer your opening statement: No, I'm not thinking WTF? The reason being because I chose to think in the first place.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
You know, it is possible that in referring to his "health" there is a emotional health aspect that could be related on some level to finances. If what he's chosen to do with his money has made him happy then I'd say it was worth it, but ultimately any question about happiness and how it relates to how you (read:him) should be feeling is a question you can't pose to anyone but yourself.

The guy obviously was having a bit of a introspective moment, chose to write it down for everyone to see, and you give a "get real, grow up" speech? So to answer your opening statement: No, I'm not thinking WTF? The reason being because I chose to think in the first place.
Oh shut up - Coleman knows I was busting his balls - just as we all do over in the politics forum. He gives as good as he gets and he's not the 'sensitive type'. Get over yourself.

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well I be dam, we got a little excitment here!!:biggrin

First off, I don't drink!!:biggrin

Now, here it goes. I hear a lot of peeps that need some exercise and say they don't have time. They too busy making that money, to do this or that. I hear that one a lot. Regular busy bodies, but when it comes to doing some exercise, no dice, or they just put a little bit of time into it. When it comes to have fun, not too much time there either, gotta work and make money.

I work out hard.. And I like my relax time. I didn't give that up for finances. The things I like cost. So, I got them, and needed to bring in more income to sustain. Now, to bring in more income, I gotta give up some of my time! Any stupid person can understand that EASILY. But, I guess you might hit a couple levels below stupid and can't relate to that. Not my fault.:biggrin

Pure and simple, times when I supposed to be working, I am riding 200 miles to get to some tech curves. Other times I am supposed to be working, I am packing up for a 5 day trip to Daytona, Fl to do Team Hammer Race School.

Time for race suits, can't get nothing off the rack, gotta go custom. Can't afford them, get them anyway.. I throw a whole lot of stuff on my race bike..Cost money. Will Coleman get the extra job to handle all this? No.. End result, up to my neck in debt. But, you can't see that, not my fault you blind either..

You don't see how the two relate is because look at it the way a dipshit would. :biggrin

Not saying you a dipshit, but you talk like one..:biggrin

Now, do-woop on that for a while!!:flipoff

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

thanks man, I get haters coming from all angles!!:biggrin

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Coleman,

You're an endorphine junky living a carefree life, but your pleasures have a price. If you're really close to bankruptcy, you're probably a bit off balance. Bankruptcy shifts your debt and obligations to others, and I feel that is socially irresponsible.

A good measure is to ask yourself, "what if everybody lived life the way I do?" If society would break down (everybody going bankrupt), then there's probably an issue.

You could likely find a balance that is both financially and physiologically positive, you just lack the motivation or conviction to do so.

Congrats on being so fit. I nearly crapped myself when I saw you were 69. I knew you were in your 60's but I forget that I was on AMS that many years ago... :)

Nothing intended to be harsh, just blunt.

·
3,415 Posts
Well, the money is real short, I tell ya that!!:crying I am at the point, I don't worry about it..

At your age, you are the right track, take of both of them..I am a retired-professional-gambler, that started working way, way late in the years!!:biggrin So, that is where my free lance style comes from. I am still working now, and very fortunate that I have a perk job. At my age, I don't want to waste nary a second of my time. No tellin when this, or all this for that matter is going to stop.. I know I am beatin the wheel, so I go for it now, and later for later. :)

I was just wondering cause lately I have been seeing a lot of peeps my age creeping around, getting big time sick and here I am flying around on the sportbike, acting silly, and really go about things as if I don't have a care in the world.. I did an hour and half workout this morning. I was smokin too. Sometimes I am hitting it a the gym so hard, I get a lot of stares.. And I am constantly hitting on the ladies!! There is one lady that is always giving me compliments, and she is HOT!! I kept telling her that we got to workout together one day, and that always brings a big smile to her face, cause she knows where I am coming from. She is a fine 45 years old. :drool
well damnit sling that schlong and smack her with some dick. teach her a lesson

j

·
3,415 Posts
howard, you ever realize that right after working out, you have the best ride on the bike. i like it. the cool air feels good. also, when you are on black powder(preworkout) or noexplode mixed with ephedrine,yohimbe,caffiene pills and going to the gym from the house you feel fucking crazy!!

j

·
Registered
398 Posts
I can agree with you cehoward. i know even gentlemen who are younger than you by as much as 5-10 years younger who have all these chronic ill pains(i.e. bad back, arthritis, diabetic, etc.etc.) I feel bad in a sense that these people, man or woman, have subjected their lives to worrying about their finances, jobs, retirement, etc. than focusing on the outlook of life itself. From my perspective (im 30yrs old btw) being at 50+yrs old my only concern would be that as long as i am able to furnish a home for my wife and child and making sure that my child has his college tuition in check then why worry over the minuscule things in life. I would like to think that by the time i reach my 50's i will be even half as active as you are cehoward. My goal alone would be that by the time i am 50 is that my kid/s college funds are prepped and ready to go that the only thing i have to do is enjoy my life, wife, kid/s and my free time to do as i may.

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Coleman,

You're an endorphine junky living a carefree life, but your pleasures have a price. If you're really close to bankruptcy, you're probably a bit off balance. Bankruptcy shifts your debt and obligations to others, and I feel that is socially irresponsible.

A good measure is to ask yourself, "what if everybody lived life the way I do?" If society would break down (everybody going bankrupt), then there's probably an issue.

You could likely find a balance that is both financially and physiologically positive, you just lack the motivation or conviction to do so.

Congrats on being so fit. I nearly crapped myself when I saw you were 69. I knew you were in your 60's but I forget that I was on AMS that many years ago... :)

Nothing intended to be harsh, just blunt.
:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

No where near harsh, and I think you are right on the money. Not only that, I am old enough to KNOW, that people that care about you tell that HOW IT IS, and that might not be what they want to hear. Again, you are dead correct.

It is almost like sticking my head in the sand. My super health is my rationalization to keep doing it. Also, my past sub-culture(former gambler)along with my spoilness got me to this point. Now, the fun I am having is dam near priceless. I say to myself, could I have had the fun, and still be financial responsible? Don't know the answer to that one.

I do know that ALL my years of being 60 and over have been like a FAIRY TALE. The bike rides/races the ladies, the super healthy feeling, don't know if I could have done that, if I had taken on another job, cut down on some of my lust for the good things and didn't take the time to exercise. I put in a lot of time in exercise, a lot..

Example, I didn't have to get a brand new truck, but I did, I got myself a brand new F150 as my tow vehicle. Let me tell you, the truck is 3 years old, and everytime I get in it, the seat gets wet. Oh yeah, I be going into 45mph curves at 85 with the F150 and busting off cars. On my trailer, which is my second, didn't have to go that far, I could have made it with a flat bed open trailer for 1/10th price.

On my race bike, which the tab has past 20k, didn't have go new with my track bike, could have went used/salvaged, and slack on the parts, but I went new, and high end parts. Ditto for my race suits. I could have got some cheapie one peices and had them altered, but no, I went for 2grand plus custom suits, and had to get 3 of them.

Now, that is just some of that stuff I been doing, and taking the time to enjoy them too. I looked at it like this, this time ain't coming back. There is NO WAITING FOR ME. If I try to be financial responsible, I wouldn't livin in the house I am livin in, I wouldn't be drive the truck, the race bike or even my K7, I might still have my roller skates!:crying

I have not crashed yet/went bellyup yet, but it is coming.:crying And I have found out that TIME is very, very precious. It doesn't COME BACK. To give my time to an employer to make money, is good, we all need to do it, but that time I give up, and at my age, is not a option for me. To blast around the racetrack on my racebike is priceless. Most of the luxury track excursions I did, and they were many, Barber, Road Altlanta, Daytona, Jennings, VIR, were unaffordable for me, but I did them anyway.

Ditto for taking the time to workout. Nothing gets in the way of that. Being like that has made me some sort of FREAK. I am an 69 year old man, trapped in the body and mind of a 25 year old. What do I do? I go for it, and whatever comes down the pike, bring it on. Cause I got memories up the wall, and still making them.

I want to PERSONALLY THANK you for your reply. It was straight forward, and hit the nail right on the head..Right now, I am fixing to do another one of the AFF skydives, while I still got the heart and the money to do it.. Cause in about 4 or 5 months, I might not can get to the $400 for the jump, or have the balls to do it!! :biggrin

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can agree with you cehoward. i know even gentlemen who are younger than you by as much as 5-10 years younger who have all these chronic ill pains(i.e. bad back, arthritis, diabetic, etc.etc.) I feel bad in a sense that these people, man or woman, have subjected their lives to worrying about their finances, jobs, retirement, etc. than focusing on the outlook of life itself. From my perspective (im 30yrs old btw) being at 50+yrs old my only concern would be that as long as i am able to furnish a home for my wife and child and making sure that my child has his college tuition in check then why worry over the minuscule things in life. I would like to think that by the time i reach my 50's i will be even half as active as you are cehoward. My goal alone would be that by the time i am 50 is that my kid/s college funds are prepped and ready to go that the only thing i have to do is enjoy my life, wife, kid/s and my free time to do as i may.
I hear you.

If I was dealing with the responsibilty of a family, I KNOW I wouldn't be doing what I am doing now. I have to get that straight right away.

With the freedom I have, and lucky enough to reach this age, still intact with a silly mind, and a feel for speed, I think it is blessing. So, I am feeding it. Going broke in the process, but I am feeding it like no tomorrow.

At the gym, if I get a $1 for every compliment I get, I be rich. Some even said I should be a bodybuilder!!:biggrin I am very skinny, but ripped with muscles. But, more important, the being fit lets me sling the sportbike around like I want too. And letting my mind react swiftly, like coming to a corner at triple digits and look away with the bike still going foward at triple digits, and then hard brake and flick it into the curve, PRICELESS, absolutly PRICELESS.

My time is short, I know that. Like you say, they are people much younger than me in wheel chairs, walking around with canes. So, whatever this is I got, I am going to ride it to the limit, even if I have to pictch a tent in the street to live(the K7 and the 600rr will be under the tent too).

BTW, I am increasing my intensity in the gym. Easing up the poundage, going for the one or two extra reps, and my body is reflecting it too. I am getting more ripped. When I see that, just like this morning, at one and half hours of working out hard, I am walking around saying just one more set. That "one more set" went into about 12 more sets!! I didn't wanna leave. I had enough energy to at least go another hour. But, I do have to go to work!! :crying

Also, I am ashamed to have rest days!! :biggrin

My rest days are like some people full workout days. A rest day will consist of some running, lots of ab work, toe raises, wrist curls and stretching.

As you can see, I love to talk about sportbikes and exercise!! My two top priorities!!:biggrin

·
Premium Member
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well damnit sling that schlong and smack her with some dick. teach her a lesson

j
I can only handle but so much!!!:crying

I would love to take on all of them. But, my age is showing in that department. :crying

Can't handle but 2 or 3 at a time.

Like the guy said in my favorite movie, the Magnificent Seven. "There was a time when I would have handled them all" :drool

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
8 Participants
mlissa2007
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing