Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say.... While the headlight posts I was just reading were funny as hell and I totally relate to all of it, here I am 3 days later removing the front fairing so that I can just get it done right, with room to work. Less F bombs should be needed, I hope....

Trying to figure out what someone else did with the wiring prior to you owning it is just as much of a pain in the ass. But..... I win!

Now, I had a CBR for about 6 years before getting my GSXR. I've had it for about a year now and the projector has never worked. It was re-wired and a ballast put in for the HID H4 Hi/Lo bulb. There was a bulb in the projector, but not hooked up. I have now ordered another ballast and ordered a HID bulb for it as well. What is the purpose of the projector bulb if the upper bulb controls the Lo/Hi and Passing?

I have some underglow's I've installed and am doing a blue'ish purple thing going on with the two lights and hav3e some additional LED's for my own "halo's".... Hence another reason the headlight assembly MUST come out. This chick likes the purple, wasn't sure if I'd get in trouble around here with that color headlight, but none of the men in black messed with me tonight so, I guess all is good! What can I say? Wheel's up boys, let's ride!

05 GSX R600..... sexy biatch!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 582464

LO is always on. For HI, the B/W is common ground. B/Bl is the low power filament. B/Y is the high power. These are one or the other. Where things might get confusing is the wire color change between the main harness and the front sub-harness. Even the wire colors change between the handlebar pods and main harness. Hopefully the previous owner patched in all in the front.

Most of the good HID/LED installs I've seen use an additional switch to power on. That way it's only switched on at running voltage. On the 05, the start button kills the headlights. On the 04, they're hot whenever the key is on. I just wouldn't like powering up a ballast, then killing it or undervolting it for a couple seconds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had an HID H4 bulb in there using the previous wiring set up. It was ok, but my OCD was driving me nuts. I went ahead and just ordered a completely new set up with ballasts, etc. I am much happier knowing what is what in there.

Has anyone ever taken apart the headlight assembly? It's 2 pieces, but sealed, obviously. I've read quite a few posts regarding how to do this but I need to clarify.... Is it the housing that comes apart after being heated up or is it the glass on the front? I don't believe mine is glass though? 05 GSX R600

1 - 3 of 3 Posts