Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask this question. (K7 GSXR 600 US Model)
Head lights are not working, found this out this morning before leaving for work. So I started working on it in the dark hours this morning and came in late as I waited for sun up so I could see to ride. (Against the law to ride even in the daylight with out a functioning headlight)

Any how, I checked wiring all seems to be good from a visual inspection of the wires. I checked all fuses and they're good.
I even removed the bulbs and visually inspected them, good. Tested them with a quick direct connect and inline fuse to battery, both bulbs light up.
All other lights work (turn signals, brake an tail light as well as tag light)

I don't have a multimeter (yet, gotta replace mine). But my question is... Would a bad dimmer (hi/low beam) switch cause both lights to not work? (just don't want to waste time replacing the switch if that isn't what is or could be causing the issue.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
It could.
A bad ground could also cause an issue.
Do you have access to a manual with a wiring diagram?
best best would be to use the wiring diagram and a multimeter to test the voltages at various places along the wiring to see where it drops off.
Ends up being cheaper than just throwing parts at it!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could.
A bad ground could also cause an issue.
Do you have access to a manual with a wiring diagram?
best best would be to use the wiring diagram and a multimeter to test the voltages at various places along the wiring to see where it drops off.
Ends up being cheaper than just throwing parts at it!
Yea I have the service manual on top of a Haynes manual. Just no multimeter, I think it got lost in a move or grew legs. Buying one this weekend for sure

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
A multimeter is going to be the next step. Check for power at the bulb connector. That'll let you know if the issue is upstream, or downstream. The low beam is powered directly, so the switch would having nothing to do with it not lighting up. Either power isn't getting to it, or it's got no where to go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The awesome thing is, one of my coworkers brought in a multimeter for me today. So will begin taking readings and wire tracing tomorrow. As well as the other issue I messaged you about a while back TheGeek

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trying to test these wires is a pain in the butt... I tested the switch and I get a short at times for it using the continuity tester. But when checking for voltages at the bulb connections I'm getting nothing. I attempted to check for voltage where the switch connects to the harness but not sure on the coloring for the wires. They don't really match up with the Haynes manual color schemes. :/ I think the Suzuki service manual I found was for a much older bike, because they talk about an indicator bulb and harness that should be above my headlight which mine does not have that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOOO SOLVED!!! It was the fucking kill switch.. What a freaking headache!!! I was studying the wiring diagram after walking away from it for a bit more time to think and recollect. Then I noticed a wire in the diagram that runs from the lights to the switch after tracing all around.. Then confirmed the wire at the kill switches harness.. I hooked up everything and turned key, toggled switch a dozen times or so and BOOM... LIGHT!!! Removed the switch from the housing and cleaned its contacts at the switch as well as the connector and where it attaches to the main harness.. Put bike back together, did not get light. Then after a few key and kill switch cycles the light came on after it ran for a few minutes. Constantly comes on now (for now), replacing the switch tomorrow, found one somewhat locally, used but they said tested good. So we shall see.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well not really the kill switch, but the starter switch itself I should have said. (TheGeek, thanks for the correction/help)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
Meeps
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing