Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GSXr 600, bunch of goodies not worth mentioning.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently had the headlights on my 07-600 go out and after trying a few of the fixes on here and using some other testing methods I am not able to figure out why or where the issue is coming from. I cleaned the ignition terminal and when wiggling headlights dont do anything. Checked fuses none of them are blown, tested fuses and the headlight Hi and Lo read 0 volts when the 4 other fuses read 12.16-12.24. I read that the rectifier can cause this issue but not sure if that is the case. When power from the battery is connected directly to the fuse the headlight works for both Hi and Lo. Any one else have this issue or know of any resources that I can look at.

I have not replaced the rectifier or opened up the left side controls to check on any shorts in the hi/lo function or the pass switch.

I did install LED turn signal bulbs and one has already gone out and they are not impedence matched so they have the quick flash LED effect. any help is appreciated.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,445 Posts
Have you looked at the wiring diagram to see where the fues gets its power?

·
Registered
2007 GSXr 600, bunch of goodies not worth mentioning.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you looked at the wiring diagram to see where the fues gets its power?
Yeah, I have the diagram in the tail of the bike and the Orange power to the fuse relay reads 12volts, its just the headlights that dont have any voltage. The yellow and white headlight wires are harder to find, but they have power on the bottom of the relay, but not through the fuse. It is extremely odd.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Yeah, I have the diagram in the tail of the bike and the Orange power to the fuse relay reads 12volts, its just the headlights that dont have any voltage. The yellow and white headlight wires are harder to find, but they have power on the bottom of the relay, but not through the fuse. It is extremely odd.

then you have to chase that wire back to its source, where is it supposed to get its power from? then why isn't it? could be a break in the wire and you will notice this is the source said wire is hot then that's good indication, you can always do a continuity as well a lot of videos on that..

just keep chasing that signal back to where the source is energized, maybe be a bad connection? bad component? keep going

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,445 Posts
Headlight fuse supply is good. From there it goes through the fuse, to the starter button, then to the headlight.

Wait, what relay? The factory headlights don't use a relay.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
switch.. a switch is manual relay.. trace it back to the switch, test where the power goes form there, if there is no power exiting the switch then there is your fault.. contact, something

if there is power exiting your switch, but none at the headlight plug then you prolly have an interruption in that wire from switch to headlight, test it, continuity

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,333 Posts
Power comes from the ignition switch to the Start button via an O lead (O/R near the button). From there it follows a W/Y lead to the fuses (Y/W near the button). Measure the voltage on those leads at the Start button connector. It's probably a black eight pin connector for the entire right handlebar with seven positions used. I'm guessing that the problem is either at the connector or the button.

I don't know why but in K8 they stopped using the Start button to cut the lights and instead used a separate relay. But that doesn't seem to be what he has.

·
Registered
‘06 GSXR 750, with Lorry lights
90 Posts
Without needing to use testers, diagnose when the light does/doesn’t turn on.
When you turn your key to the on position, do your headlights work? Yes/no
If yes, when you push the start button and your bike it sounds like the headlight does NOT turn on at that point.
Does your bike not start at all? Or does it start up just fine other than no headlight?

Your headlight wiring from fuse 2 onward is fine if your lights turn on when you power them directly, and your fuses/wires powering the right handlebar switches are fine if your bike is starting up no problem, which leaves it either being the connector in the ignition switch (orange wire from ignition goes to orange/red on handlebar harness to the starter button) or it is the wiring/connector from the starter button to the headlight fuse #2 (yellow/white from starter button to white/yellow on main harness).

If the lights don’t turn on with the key, check the ignition. If they turn on with the key, but cut after you start the bike, check the starter button.

I am not super confident in reading electrical testers, so I try and narrow down the possibilities as much as I can before I start taking reads that I could easily get wrong anyway.

·
Registered
‘06 GSXR 750, with Lorry lights
90 Posts
Sorry, double post.

In addition to the above, the orange wire from the ignition switch splits and goes to both the starter button AND fuse 3, powering everything beyond fuse 3 (the engine run/stop switch on the right handlebar, basically)

So if the bike turn on and runs, you can pretty much count out the ignition switch as not being the problem and you should focus on the starter button.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts