Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some wires over heating on my 00 750. As you can see from the pictures the Y/W and O wires have been cut from the connector, which is no big deal because they are just jumpered out anyways. I have a couple of questions about what I should do and what is going on here. Are the splits that they are coming from done at the factory? When the Y/W and O wires are connected directly the Y/W wire is melting, is there anyway to help prevent that? Also, I didn't get a picture of this, but the headlight connector I replaced was also melted. Any help on how to repair this would be great. I know that some owners did what is going on here but it is not doing any justice. Thank you so much!!!!
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Wire Bag
Electronic component Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Computer hardware Cable
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply Wire
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,010 Posts
welp, yo can start by cleaning all connectors very well insuring all pins get a good solid connection, then pack with dielectric grease.. that's a start..

some will replace with better connectors, some will do this and get a mosfet R/R with the direct to battery over gauge mod..

how far do you want to go, some make their own harness with larger wire in those areas, better connectors and mosfet direct so forth..

at the very least you need to clean, check contacts, BOTH sides of the connection, then pack with dielectric grease.. bare minimum.. very common issue with these bikes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think if I swapped the 2 wires (specifically just for the headlight) for bigger ones, it would solve my problem? Also what if i just ran a ground from the headlight, would that also fix my issue?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,010 Posts
I dunno about all that, I just know these connectors get hot for various reasons, one of them is the contacts arc, poorly designed connectors, another is they get corroded and do not contact very well, why cleaning and using anti arc dielectric grease is imperative, plus it keeps out water which can get them hot..

there are several factors that lead to this and you can improve by all i stated, I don't even know why the harness has those loops like that my best guess is its for different types of lighting function as in in some countries they have one side on for low, one side for high, or both sides on for hi, others have 2 low then 2 hi as in a multi filament bulb for each side, that may be it hale I dunno?

far as the ground you need to make sure all your grounds are in good shape and working properly, again as mentioned, check all your grounds and clean recontact..

a mosfet R/R runs cooler by nature, then the oversized to battery is less draw or load on that red wire that runs all through the loom, eliminating that red wire that runs all over and going directly to the battery with a heavier gauge helps to keep everything cooler and more consistent..

diagnose your symptom as in the CAUSE of the melting, go from there as to what you should do to repair and rectify the situation it, or make it run cooler whatever.. is your harness even any good now that its been melted up, it can do enough damage it's just easier to find a good used one, do the mods, or make a new improved one and forgo it happening again, or drastically reduce the odds...
 

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
Joined
·
10,274 Posts
Y/W is getting power from the O via the jumper, which in turn comes from the ignition switch. It's protected by the 30 A main fuse, which should be enough for major shorts but maybe not enough for a continuous extraneous high load, i.e. I don't think the wires are rated for 25 amps. The Y/W goes on to supply the headlights so any problem should be associated with them being shorted out or drawing too much power. I hope that you haven't dodne something screwy like installing 100 W bulbs. I haven't checked the wiring in detail but think that you should be able to pull the high & low beam fuses and connect the Y/W & O without any wire overheating (otherwise there's a short to ground in the wiring). Then plug each fuse in and see what happens. The fuse ought to blow if there's enough current to overheat the wiring. You do have the correct size fuses, right? It would be very helpful if you had an ammeter on the battery's positive terminal while all this was happening. Corsa Technic has replacement connectors and contacts. But most striped wire is hard to come by. Generally about the best you can do there is to stripe it yourself.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top