Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have been searching everywhere and couldn't find any related issues so here I go.

I have noticed that both of my headlights are not working, so i searched and found out that the starter switch is buggy and disassembled it but with no luck there. Then I checked the fuses and no problem there either. Then I had a brilliant idea to use a jumper wire from the baterry to the fuse of the hi and low headlight and they worked! I could have done that a permanent solution but the lights stay on even if I turn off the ignition, so that wont work for me.

Anyway, now the problem seems to be in between the fuse and baterry. And I am stuck here mates! Any ideas? Thanks!

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,101 Posts
Anyway, now the problem seems to be in between the fuse and baterry.
Get the wiring diagram, a DMM and start probing points between the fuse and battery, to see where the connection is broken. You'll probably find it to be the connector for the right-hand switch pod.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,583 Posts
"i searched and found out that the starter switch is buggy and disassembled it but with no luck there"

Doesn't make that much sense. If it's buggy, fix it. The START button is probably where the problem is. There are two sets of contacts, one for the starter solenoid and the other for the headlights. They are known to corrode to where the electrical contact goes bad. Clean the contacts.

With the ignition on, does the horn work? If so, there ought to be power to the START button. Measure the voltage at the O/R lead at the button. It should be 12V. Measure the Y/W lead at the button. It should also be 12V except when the button is pushed. That lead runs straight to the fuses.

A downloadable color wiring diagram is available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys thanks for the feedback. I disassembled the starter switch and tested if there is any power at the solenoid for the headlight and there is none but there was for the starter motor solenoid. So i tried jumping the headlight solenoid from the battery and it turns on. So the problem lies before the circuit gets to the starter switch.

I also have seen the diagram but i get lost when i trace the circuit back from the starter switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"With the ignition on, does the horn work? If so, there ought to be power to the START button. Measure the voltage at the O/R lead at the button. It should be 12V. Measure the Y/W lead at the button. It should also be 12V except when the button is pushed. That lead runs straight to the fuses.
Yea mate there is power for every other component of the bike including the horn the dash and even park lights. It starts well and runs smoothly.

·
7,583 Posts
There's an O lead from the ignition switch that provides power to the SIGNAL and IGNITION fuses as well as the START button (for the lights). It switches from O to O/R at the black right handlebar connector. As you're getting power elsewhere, it sounds like either the pins are bad at the connector or the wiring is frayed. Check the voltage at the connector and look for damage to the wire bundle, particularly from the connector to the handlebar switch/button assembly.

The color diagram is much easier to follow than the black and white diagram in the service manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solved! The culprit was the connector which was below the air filter assembly. There is a connector there which is for the right handle bar functions. I disconnected it and checked for power and there was! So cleaned it and reconnected it and it worked. ? still not sure why it happened so just tightened it with cable tie and it seems alright now.

·
7,583 Posts
"still not sure why it happened"

The main reason is that they don't use a sealed connector there. The ignition switch connector right next to it is sealed. A contributing factor is that the front lower cover gets removed during the frame brace recall and this allows road dirt & water to flow up into that area. The problem with connectors in that area going bad is particularly severe with K1/K2.

Failed contacts have a habit of going bad again. It's too late now but if you get a chance, put some dielectric grease on the contacts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
jazsran
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing