Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new to the site and just wondering if someone can help me out here. I have an Blk/Yell K5 on order and should be here any day now, and just wondering if they use H4 12V bulbs just like the ones on my K1?

Thanks.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I believe the low beam headlight uses a H7.... are you planning on buying HIDs? I already got mine sitting here waiting for my poo to show up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I am planning on getting the super white HID. So you say that the low beam headlight uses a H7, and what about the high beam? Would that be a H4?

Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
Are you getting true HID or just a colored halogen bulb?

According to the K5 Tech Manual that was posted before the bikes showed up.... lowbeam is a H7, High beam is a HB3? I never heard of that. Thats what it says. I dont plan on putting HIDs in the high beam, only the low beam.

Also according to the manual only one beam is on at a time. If your familar with HIDs they have a warm up time so when you switch to one form the other there will be 1 second where you'll have lil or no light. In my past experience 2 things are eliminated when using only low beam with HIDs. When you start the bike the warm up time on hids sucks alot of amps so starting the bike with the high beams on then switching to the lows helps take the load off during start up, this was really nice on my 01 R1. The 04 the lights never came on until the bike is started and all 4 lights were on when the high beam was on.

Second my HIDs were brighter than my highs so I never really needed my high beam.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am not sure the high beam bulb listed in the manual is one I haven't heard of before but it has to be a popular/standard size otherwise they wouldn't use it. But in my honest opinion do the low beam first and then decide to whether to do the high beam after a good night ride. And after you do it park your bike on the side of a really dark road and see if the high beam has any effect over the HIDs or shine your lights against a wall too. My $.02

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey sqid, where are you getting yoru blk/gun metail gixxer from? I heard you can only get them in Europe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
it is h7 on top hb3 on bottom,the hb3 is also known as a 9005,same as the hyabusa,both actually,i ordered a set of blue/white hid from tricktape as well as the small marker lites shawn is the man to talk to

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Are you getting true HID or just a colored halogen bulb?

According to the K5 Tech Manual that was posted before the bikes showed up.... lowbeam is a H7, High beam is a HB3? I never heard of that. Thats what it says. I dont plan on putting HIDs in the high beam, only the low beam.

Also according to the manual only one beam is on at a time. If your familar with HIDs they have a warm up time so when you switch to one form the other there will be 1 second where you'll have lil or no light. In my past experience 2 things are eliminated when using only low beam with HIDs. When you start the bike the warm up time on hids sucks alot of amps so starting the bike with the high beams on then switching to the lows helps take the load off during start up, this was really nice on my 01 R1. The 04 the lights never came on until the bike is started and all 4 lights were on when the high beam was on.

Second my HIDs were brighter than my highs so I never really needed my high beam.

I'd have to go downstairs and check mine to be sure, but if I'm not mistaken, when you switch to hi's both the high and low beams are on at the same time.

·
Registered
419 Posts
OH? I thought in the manual it said its one or the other... can you double check? If thats the case then I have to put in a switch so the HIDs dont start up until I get the bike running.

EDIT: according to the manual posted before the K5s showed up it says one bulb is illuminated on hi or low beam.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey sqid, where are you getting yoru blk/gun metail gixxer from? I heard you can only get them in Europe.
Squid? its Poser thank you... in fact I'm the Mayor of Poserville so show some respect! LOL

www.suzuki.ca where have you been hiding? LE is only the fastest rarest color known to man! LOL

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
OH? I thought in the manual it said its one or the other... can you double check? If thats the case then I have to put in a switch so the HIDs dont start up until I get the bike running.

EDIT: according to the manual posted before the K5s showed up it says one bulb is illuminated on hi or low beam.
Yup, just checked it right now. When low beams are on the top light and the 2 side running lights are illuminated, when you turn on hi beams, the bottom light turns on too.............all 4 are on.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Weird I wonder why the manual says one bulb is illuminated? Typo must be.... thanks!

·
Registered
919 Posts
its because last year when the low beam was on, the h7 on top was on and the h4 on bottom was on low, then when you turn high beam on, the h7 stays on, and the h4 changes to hi beam. This year's config (as posted before, h7 on top for low beam, 9005 on bottom for hi) is much more HID-conversion friendly. I am also a fan of only having the low beam HID (like i did last year), but this year i've gone with both... i'll have to post pics

i'm also planning on using LED cluster-lights (in blue) to replace the marker lights, and put a flasher relay in and see how many people i can pull over

1 - 14 of 14 Posts