Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!!! I am new here and was wondering if it is true that an 88 750 head will bolt to an 87 1100 engine and have larger valves to boot. I know the blocks are the same, must not be the 750 didn't change until 89?
Thanx in advance........
[email protected]

[ 04-30-2002, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: yamahale ]

·
Registered
176 Posts
It will bolt on. As to whether the valves are bigger, I don't know. However, I am told it is a better design, as in, it flows better.

But, it will cause you some problems with clearance on your carbs, which will be right up against the petcock of your gas tank. I have an '89 750 head (same as '88) on my Bandit 1200 motor, and I had to shim up my gas tank for clearance... no big deal.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
The head will fit, the valves are slightly smaller 28.5 for 1100 28.3 for 750 on the intake, the exhausts are the same size. The combustion chamber is also smaller, and it needs to be opened up slightly. The 750 head has more of a downdraft angle than the 1100, that's why the carbs will sit higher. This is supposed to be the best head to use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would the consequences be if the chambers weren't opened up? Pre-ignition etc? Physical contact? I am waiting patiently from the salvage yard to find out the price of this head. BTW any opinions on which brand pistons to use for a basic stocker?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
On my B12, the roughly 6cc reduction in combustion-chamber volume (when going from the OEM head to the 750 head) was enough to push the CR from 10.8:1 (this is a 1216) to something over 13:1... I had Lazer open the chambers ±2cc to ease that back to around 12.6 - 12.7:1.

BTW any opinions on which brand pistons to use for a basic stocker?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In my opinion JE's are superb, and would be far and away my #1 choice for any project... YMMV.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts