Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why the 96 gsxr 750 uses a four layer head gasket and 97 gsxr use a three layer head gasket ? I think it's because of the recall on the 96 model , where the pistons was hitting the head , but I'm not for sure if the head , pistons ,or the cylinder block is different than the 97 model . I had a guy to tell to put the three layer gasket on my 96 model , he said it would build more power and would work without any trouble , but I'm not to sure about this .
Thanks for the help,
Jim

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
while using the thinner gasket will yeild you a slightly higher compression ratio if you use it make sure just in case to check the piston to valve clearances. i dont remember the reason for the different layer gasket on that year but im sure someone else would fill in the blank

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yea it was from the recal... They had problems with the piston to head clearance... If you take out the 4th layer you might have the same problem.. It isnt worth it... I did this on my 99 cause someone said that it would be ok.. I didnt check the clearance, and BOOM! I broke a valve and blew the motor... With a used block and pistons and a free used head, It still cost me over 900 bucks to put the motor back together.

John

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
your not gonna really feel the difference in using 3vs4 layers no how and besides the benfits of it don't out weigh the problems

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I felt it when I was using 2 not 3 in mine.. LOL WOW!!! I wish I would have gotten on the dyno like that.. But correct, not worth the problems.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts