Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 GSXR 600. It's been off off the road since 2010. Last time I messed with it, about 3 years ago, the fuel pump was gummed up and shot from old gas and popping fuel fuses. I just decided to get it going and got a new pump. Got it hooked up and was going to test just the pump, to make sure I did it right. Lol I have the battery charger hooked up, turn the key on and the gauge cluster is blinking crazy and the tach needle is just bouncing back and forth. No power ever gets to the fuel pump. I'm out of my depth on this.

·
Administrator
15,397 Posts
There is a lot you need to check but let's start simple. If it's the battery from a few years ago, get a new battery. Motorcycle batteries are finicky and if it sat that long, it may be done and not take a charge.

Get that old gas out of there and use fresh gas. Check the inside of the tank for rust. You may have another set of problems just with the bike sitting that long. You're going to need to go through everything.

Get a service manual asap, you're going to need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a lot you need to check but let's start simple. If it's the battery from a few years ago, get a new battery. Motorcycle batteries are finicky and if it sat that long, it may be done and not take a charge.

Get that old gas out of there and use fresh gas. Check the inside of the tank for rust. You may have another set of problems just with the bike sitting that long. You're going to need to go through everything.

Get a service manual asap, you're going to need it.
Yep, battery would hold no charge. Hooked up a good battery and pump kicked on.

·
Administrator
15,397 Posts
Yep, battery would hold no charge. Hooked up a good battery and pump kicked on.
Nice. Now get to work! Lol.

Go through everything. Replace all brake components especially, including lines, fluid, pads and rotors. Get new tires as well. Good luck and post up if you run into any issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts