Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine told me that he took the packing out of his exhaust on his GSXR1100 and i heard it the other day....and let me just say holy shit!!!!!!!! this thing sounds awesome!!!

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
Well, sort of.

I think that's in the mods & How To's.

Anyway, there really wasn't any packing in the stock can. It was just steel baffles, with pieces of pipe. Basically it made the exhaust route into the pipe, then to the back bypassing the middle, then routing to the middle, and then out the tail. I removed both of the two baffles and pipes and now I can see straight through, and yes it sounds killer.
I rode around with it a little bit. It felt, as one could expect, to have a little weaker low end grunt. Which can be caused by lack of backpressure in the exhaust system. However, once I hit the high revs, she felt like she just quit smoking cigarettes, SHE COULD BREATHE!!!. It screamed like a bitch in heat up there and it felt good.
However, it's not for the elderly, faint of heart, or those who do not want attention from the law enforcement in the surrounding 1 mile radius.

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jon - no 'h':
Keep the packing in. It is there for a reason.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, to muffle the sound and regulate backpressure.

Oh and here is the link in Mod/HowTo's
http://www.gixxer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000234

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: Blaise ]</p>

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Win:
A buddy of mine told me that he took the packing out of his exhaust on his GSXR1100 and i heard it the other day....and let me just say holy shit!!!!!!!! this thing sounds awesome!!!<hr></blockquote>now why would you do something that tony did, that is retartded,no offense tony,but do you want a bike that has a race exhaust or do u want a bike that sound like it has no exhaust?

·
Registered
115 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Win:
A buddy of mine told me that he took the packing out of his exhaust on his GSXR1100 and i heard it the other day....and let me just say holy shit!!!!!!!! this thing sounds awesome!!!<hr></blockquote>
you definetly have spirit man!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't know it sounded pretty nice to me fellas!....i was just concerned that it might take away some power that's all...it's personal opinion i guess, but i would rather have the louder exhaust to be heard especially riding aroundon these ass backwards roads at night...the easier you are noticed the better!...and as far as the cops go FUCK EM!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How many posts do i need to lose this stupid squid status??

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bmfgsxr:
btw start posting and lose that squid status already madman.
<hr></blockquote>

·
Banned
19,349 Posts
How many posts do i need to lose this stupid squid status??<hr></blockquote>

I think it's around 50 or so. You get credit for one post per thread.

How long have you had your Yosh's? After a couple thousand miles the packing will blow out a little bit and you'll start noticing a louder, throatier sound. Too bad you don't have a TLR, shooting flames through the cans helps loosen up the packing material, too!

·
Registered
335 Posts
A buddy of mine told me that he took the packing out of his exhaust on his GSXR1100 and i heard it the other day....and let me just say holy shit!!!!!!!! this thing sounds awesome!!!<hr></blockquote>

One of the main reasons behind the packing in the pipe is for back preasure. The valves in the engine are meant to work with some back preasure, especially on the bottom end of the power curve. The main difference between the track pipe and the street pipe is that the track pipe was meant for a bike that will probably spend most of it's life over 10,000 rpms. All of those bikes are making top horse power and torque at even much higher rpms.. Now it might sound great, but with the packing gone he has given up power on the bottom end,,Making wheelies a little harder to do and fast starts. Big draw back of the louder pipes is it gives LEO of big warning that you are on your way..Instead of helping out the cops and taking away a lot of useable horsepower I would put stuffing back in your pipe.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
in my experience, loud pipes don't do anything to improve noticeability from dumbass drivers, but the cops will sure notice you....

a couple of things - if you're out on an open road, it will be difficult for anybody not behind your bike to hear you, since your exhaust pipe is facing backwards. the exhaust noise thus travels backwards....the only real way somebody not behind (doesn't have to be directly behind, of course) the bike can hear the exhaust is if the waves reflect off surrounding objects. for example, off buildings, parked cars, etc. the more 'open' the road becomes, the less the sound waves will be able to bounce off objects, and the less 'hearable' you'll be to someone not behind the bike.

even in a situation where there are plenty of objects for the exhaust noise waves to bounce off of, it's can often be difficult for an observer to tell which direction the bike's coming from.

so basically, if you like the way the bike sounds, fine.....but don't think it will make you any safer.

loud pipes don't save lives.....rider awareness, training, and skill save lives.

·
Registered
206 Posts
imported_jeff said:
in my experience, loud pipes don't do anything to improve noticeability from dumbass drivers, but the cops will sure notice you....

a couple of things - if you're out on an open road, it will be difficult for anybody not behind your bike to hear you, since your exhaust pipe is facing backwards.
loud pipes don't save lives.....rider awareness, training, and skill save lives.

I have to totally agree with Jeff. Loud pipes do nothing for safety.

·
Registered
525 Posts
ive heard a yoshi without the packing and sounded pretty nasty. had no quality sound to it. just stupid loud. also you lose performance when you take the packing out. Actually every 10 to 15k you should take out the old packing and re pack your muffler.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
chattermark said:
I have to totally agree with Jeff. Loud pipes do nothing for safety.
Congrats, you just revived a 5 year old thread...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts