Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am just too heavy for my stock spring. Has anyone tried a firmer spring on the original shock?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Its time to step-up and buy a new shock.
I cant believe yours is still working, after ALL theses years!
Works Performance makes a great replacement shock, and its rebuildable, an added feature is it wont break your bank,
Regards~ Jim

·
Registered
163 Posts
ebay usually has a few shocks up for bidding.

you can also by some new gsxr shocks and try to fit them. some are a bolt on afair...others not so much.

i just picked up a 2000-2003 gsxr750 shock to try to work on my bike. I'm told it will bolt up, but the battery box needs to be relocated. i'll post up my findings once i get the shock in.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
I cant believe yours is still working, after ALL theses years!
What's so hard to believe? Mine's still working properly after 19 years. I take care of my toys.
If or when it ever goes, I'll definitely see about an aftermarket, rebuildable one for sure.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I have a 92' 1100. I sent the shock/spring to Race Tech. Gave them info on my weight/riding style etc. They rebuilt the stock shock (which is a pretty good shock already) and added a custom Eibach spring. The stock spring on my bike was designed for a 120 lbs rider. This made a world of difference. The whole deal was a little over $200.

·
3,482 Posts
Lindemann Engineering does the same, not sure of the cost. These slabside shocks were crap when new, now they are worn out twenty-year-old crap. I can't wait to change mine too........

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the rear shock on my bike IS rebuildable?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought a 89gsxr750 and have NO manual. what is the default rider weight for the stock spring on this bike? or what weight is this spring rated for?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried alternate springs on their OEM rear sho

Hagon do a cheap (cost wise. I'm not sure about quality) shock in Australia and the UK. I don't know about over there.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
So the rear shock on my bike IS rebuildable?
I have been told the stock 86 shock it is NOT rebuidable.
Mine is not that bad for 19 years old
but there is definitely room for improvement.

Been thinking about getting a new one from Works Performance.

·
Registered
278 Posts

2000 750 shock works nice, real stiff and sturdy. Had one on my ladies 750, but I couldn't lower it anymore so I replaced it with the original. The ride was nice if your over 5'9''. Any shorter you will have to go with stock.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks for the replies, folks. I think I may just save up and get a Works shock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts