Discussion Starter #1
Three guys from three different dealerships told me that any aftermarket
exhaust you put on the 05 gixxer 1k would cause you to lose horse power,
this kind of sucks i had my heart set on the yoshimura,that stock can im just
not feeling.please tell me this isnt so

·
Registered
60 Posts
What are you worried about? If it kicks butt, it kicks butt. If you don't like the looks then just change it out and be happy. But I kind of doubt if that's true. If it is then it'll be the first time a manufacturer has taken the time and trouble to save me $1K.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
i really doubt it. an exhaust along with a power commander and a custom map will 99% of the time give younice hp gains. if aftermarket exhaust companies actually lost hp, do you think people would actually buy them anymore?

·
Registered
911 Posts
if this was true , why would yosh (or any other company, ) ( granted there are some pipe companies out there that do make inferior pipes that will make any bike loose power, esp at lower and mid rpm, only for a 1-3 hp peak gain) put the time and money into r&d and bring a product to the market. seeing how yosh already offers a pipe for it (with a yosh/suzuki tag on it) im sure you probally wont loose any power , they have too good of a relationship with suzuki to offer a product that will reverse time and money suzuki spent to get the bike to that level. granted the power this bike is making in stock trim is fantastic, you may not see that much in a hp gain from the pipe as you would have on older models, so basicly the main reason people will be changing this pipe is because they dont like the look of the stock pipe or for a little better sound..either way this new model is going to be awesome with or with out a aftermarket pipe!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
i really doubt it. an exhaust along with a power commander and a custom map will 99% of the time give younice hp gains. if aftermarket exhaust companies actually lost hp, do you think people would actually buy them anymore?
I can only second that.
We don´t know yet what gains there will be but I highly doubt they would be below 5hp for a full exhaust with a PC and a custom map. The bike has a huge top-end that is being hold back by the stock exhaust. Last week or so somebody posted some dyno sheets that looked like that, so opening her up on the intake (airbox) and exhaust side will result in nice top-end gains, if correctly mapped. However, it does seem that the bikes looses some hp on the low-end mainly caused by removing the exhaust valve. Thats the price you pay for getting the biggest top-end gain. I´m sure different stacks in the airbox will also have some hp effect, but which is pretty unknown to the general public at this point.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,837 Posts
what he said!
To add, watch any televised roadracing event, I have yet to see anyone running a stock exhaust.
End of doubt!

Indeed. Race teams are looking for any possible edge that would give them additional ponies. I remember way back in the day, Team Honda's motorcross team would run stock (unpainted) exhaust pipes on their CR 250's because they found they gave the most power.

If any race teams were running stock exhaust cans, then this might be more believeable. Although, they did say that they K5's can while ugly looking has a mean exhaust note when you are on the pipe.

·
Registered
329 Posts
just look at the first 2005 foctory race bike and if its running the stock system then you'll know. I'd bet you'll be seeing aftermarket exhausts. Even if you don't right off the bat give it a few weeks after the realease and they'll have a few that will give nice gains.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did any one of the three dealers have an '05 in stock which they dyno'd with various aftermarket exhausts to come to this conclusion? I didn't think so.

Don't listen to anybody's bullcrap about this bike until it's been ridden, tested and/or modified in person. How the F would anyone know this about a bike they've never seen in their showroom let alone tested? Suzuki is not going to slit the throats of their aftermarket vendors (ie Yoshimura) by telling dealers to tell customers that an aftermarket pipe would be ineffective. Remember - there are alot of IGNORANT people working at bike dealerships who will pull incorrect information out of their asses to try to wow and impress gullible customers. These are the same assclowns who direct new riders to liter bikes as their first motorcycle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts