Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the actual fork tubes, I don't think you can do too much...

but for the bottoms of your forks, try some clear vinyl stuff maybe some 3M stuff to protect the front of them??

might just be them rocky roads across the pond,

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Sounds like this guy that is working on your bike doesnt know how to stop it...

First you need to use a really fine sandpaper (wet) and take off the rough edges that the pits make. Then put in the new seals... Make sure that you put oil on the seals and be very easy with them. You dont want to rip them.

Then after you get the whole fork together, just before you put the dust seal in, put some multi lube grease in between the dust and oil seal. It will help to keep the seals soft and catch anything that might pass the dust seal.

I have done this on ever bike i have been on and never had problems.

I have a dirt bike with a scratch in the fort so bit that I shouldnt even beable to ride it, but it doesnt blow seals...

If you need any more help let me know...

John

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
I was wondering if there is someplace I can order or something I can make myself to protect my forks from rocks etc. from hitting my forks cause I am about to replace my forkseals for the second time in almost a year
and I thought it might have been all the wheelies I've been doing
but when I got them changed the first time my mechanic told me that there were a lot of dings or chips in the forks from rocks or what ever else might have been kicked up off the road and it started eating out the forkseals
so he had them shaved for me and now I am getting the same thing and I was wondering if there is anything I can get or make to stop this

Please any help would work.

Thanks in Advance

James

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by jp233:
might just be them rocky roads across the pond,
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>a little gravel never hurt anyone

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Sounds like this guy that is working on your bike doesnt know how to stop it...

First you need to use a really fine sandpaper (wet) and take off the rough edges that the pits make. Then put in the new seals... Make sure that you put oil on the seals and be very easy with them. You dont want to rip them.

Then after you get the whole fork together, just before you put the dust seal in, put some multi lube grease in between the dust and oil seal. It will help to keep the seals soft and catch anything that might pass the dust seal.

I have done this on ever bike i have been on and never had problems.

I have a dirt bike with a scratch in the fort so bit that I shouldnt even beable to ride it, but it doesnt blow seals...

If you need any more help let me know...

John
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks John I think I might have wrote that to miss lead but the mechanic who did the work found that the forks had the pits/chips from rocks when he replaced the seals the first time and had them sanded down smooth and since I've gotten it done I have gotten two new dings from rocks I mean if there's nothing I can do to block rocks from hitting the forks then I am SOL but I was just hopping there might have been a deflector or something that I could buy to protect the forks but if not than oh well but if you or anyone knows of something I could do it would be of mucj help.

Thanks John

James

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
There is a company called Works Performance that makes a fork "cover". they are durable and dont look to bad... You can get them in different colors too...
I use it on my shock and it works great... Washable and all so you dont have to worry about them getting wet.

If you want more info on it let me know via PM.

John

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
There is a company called Works Performance that makes a fork "cover". they are durable and dont look to bad... You can get them in different colors too...
I use it on my shock and it works great... Washable and all so you dont have to worry about them getting wet.

If you want more info on it let me know via PM.

John
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks John I'm sending you a PM now.

James

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by Gixxer6669:
OK, it through my link off. Now really, try this- http://store.yahoo.com/azmotorsports/forksealguards.html
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>Yea they work good for the dirtbikes, helps keep the dust out, but doesnt keep you from getting pitts... The ones I was talking about, cover the whole shaft...

John

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
they sell guards for conventional (non-inverted) forks for exactly this reason, browse through some catalogs at your local dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts