Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone has done this and been OK. I don't have a power commander yet but wouldn't mind doing a couple small mods before I pick one up.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Did it on my 99 750..although I did have a PCII...but I didn't remap it, ran great...wether it will or not w/o a PC, I couldn't say..one thing you'll notice after doing the airbox mod..is a different sound from the exhaust..

·
Registered
658 Posts
What is the airbox mod we are taking in code about? Do you mean adding a K&N filter or something. Hammer, do you still have your PC-2, and would you sell it. I need one for my 98-750.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Originally posted by slickstergsxr:
What is the airbox mod we are taking in code about? Do you mean adding a K&N filter or something. Hammer, do you still have your PC-2, and would you sell it. I need one for my 98-750.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Got your PM, check your's..

No, it's cutting a larger hole around the flapper valve..there should be a great step, by step discription in the tips, and how to's in the libray forum..

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
yeahc its my post in the other forum, here is what you should make your airbox look like

yeah, it rips! makes the bike sound much deeper and that she is breathing better...

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I have done it on two bikes without changing the map that was on them..
It works nice.

John

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey GSXR-freak, I am having a low end problem that may or may not be attributed to a K&N filter. Would this mod be advisable to a carb bike? I figured this may lower air velocity through the opening at low speeds and maybe cause a prob. Anyone done this on a carbed 750 and was it worth it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Can you guys tell me some more about this airbox mod. I can't find more info with the search option. Is it something for my '99 750? I don't have a PC or similar product.

·
Registered
84 Posts
O.K. let me jump in here. Soo from what I have read in here it would be o.k. for me to do the airbox mod to my 98 750 without doing any remapping or nothing else? Just do mod and take off down the road?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by InspiredPirate:
Hey GSXR-freak, I am having a low end problem that may or may not be attributed to a K&N filter. Would this mod be advisable to a carb bike? I figured this may lower air velocity through the opening at low speeds and maybe cause a prob. Anyone done this on a carbed 750 and was it worth it?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">same question from me, anyone done this on a 97 750?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Some people have done it to the carbed bike with good output.. others have not been so lucky...

If you do I would say get on a dyno and tune the jetting on it.

For the Fi Bikes, I have yet to see someone NEED to remap after the mod.

John

·
Registered
970 Posts
Originally posted by RADSRAD:
O.K. let me jump in here. Soo from what I have read in here it would be o.k. for me to do the airbox mod to my 98 750 without doing any remapping or nothing else? Just do mod and take off down the road?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">As long as you never go near a real dyno, you'll be completely happy.

Don't even think about this mod with a carbed bike if you don't have free access to a dyno.

The quality of the power delivery for the '98 & '99 bikes is improved hugely with a PCII. Even with the stock pipe and filter. This won't matter much if you don't use the whole tire.

If the only dyno you use is made by Haynes, and spend more time on the internet than the bike, have at it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
is there a different airbox for a 97 gsxr 600.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The quality of the power delivery for the '98 & '99 bikes is improved hugely with a PCII. Even with the stock pipe and filter. This won't matter much if you don't use the whole tire.

If the only dyno you use is made by Haynes, and spend more time on the internet than the bike, have at it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">lol! do i sense a little hostility here?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well from the Probs I am having with a poor low end as it is I think I can do without a airbox mod. Perhaps if I get my hands on a second box I will give it a try. That way I will still have the original to go back to if things do not work out so well. Wish I had purchased a fulie bike now..... hmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
970 Posts
Originally posted by resonantfreq:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The quality of the power delivery for the '98 & '99 bikes is improved hugely with a PCII. Even with the stock pipe and filter. This won't matter much if you don't use the whole tire.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">lol! do i sense a little hostility here?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, not towards you anyway.

It might have been a bit of dig towards those giving advice on power mods who've never been near a dyno.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well I have done this mod on my 99 750 and it was a nice kick for it.. Nothing major, but I was able to turn out 120hp AT THE TIRE on a mustang dyno, on a 78* night and it was like 25% humidity. NOt the best night for a dyno run... but i think she did ok on it..

John

·
Registered
970 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Well I have done this mod on my 99 750 and it was a nice kick for it.. Nothing major, but I was able to turn out 120hp AT THE TIRE on a mustang dyno, on a 78* night and it was like 25% humidity. NOt the best night for a dyno run... but i think she did ok on it..

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've only tested 2 stock '98 - '99 750's, but they were 121-123 with pipes and PCIIs. Stock airboxes and air filters.

One started with 118 with just a slip on. No big gain in peak power with the PCII, but both bikes were much better to ride after. Your lap times would absolutely be lower with the PCII.

25% relative humidity isn't bad for a dyno run, in fact its pretty good. 78 F wouldn't produce that much of a correction factor near sea level either. Everybody tests at the tire these days, so I'm not sure what the caps are for. Ask for SAE corrected results next time, but I kind of suspect 120 was corrected.

To borrow a phrase from Race Tech, the best you know is the best you've riden. After you've riden something that fuels correctly, you'll wonder why you waited. And you'll straight up refuse to ride anything that "kicks".

·
Registered
148 Posts
MrMW- As long as you never go near a real dyno, you'll be completely happy.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just wondering what you mean by this. Kinda makes me not want to do it but was wondering if the dyno will say it sucks or makes it better. From what I been reading, it makes it a lil better. So not sure what you are getting at. Im not that mechanically inclined so please take it easy on me ;-)

[ 01-20-2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Paper_Clip619 ]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts