Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well from what I have been reading about clutch wheelies seems so easy. I follow everything everyone has mentioned about it even in the videos. So basically once u release the clutch it should catch and go up. Well the only way I was able to get it up a little on a clutch was rolling at 7k pull clutch in let rpms go to 11k release clutch and it would go up a little SOMETIMES. So after doing this for a while I think I burnt my clutch out doing this. Because after a while it would just rev and go straight and it wasn't going up anymore or even giving jerks. Was my clutch beginning to slip in the first place that's why I wasn't able to get the bike up?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't know what you're riding, but on my k6 600 I have to get it to around 6-8k rpms and then rip it to about 12k rpms to get it to clutch up to a point where it will stay up. If your clutch is burnt it will be fairly obvious even when you're not trying to wheelie.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ks 600 also. Yeah I think it's time for a new clutch I do the same and bike doesnt come up really much at all if anything 6 inches

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
put your bike in 5th or 6th going slow and pin the throttle if it slips you need a new clutch if not you need to wheelie better lol

is there any play in your clutch lever maybe your clutch isn;t fully engaged

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yea man like up above your clutch would slip in any gear and it would be obvious. but I have been watching the bashing your getting on the other part of the forum and you don't deserve that. But I can at least say, other then TOE-JAM an maybe a few others, that you got all the pricks that just wait for stuff like you posted to flame because its not a track question. This is my squid like statement I'm in almost the same boat as you I can ride powered 1st gear wheelies but want to learn 2nd gear clutched wheelies but cant get them to stand up. I have 5 years seat time on bikes, 3 of them on my old 02 600 and a year already on my 07 750. (don't worry I can do math I had a year on a 97 savage 650) But I have only tried clutching it like 3 times total on my bike so I'm taking it slow, clutches are expensive and anyone I have ever talked to said transmission work is the worst. So I wouldnt take anything those pricks are saying with more then a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
then your tryin to clutch it up you dont need to go from 7 to 11 k it's a quick in and out..... if your at 7k you should only get up to about 8k when you let the clutch out ...
think of it like dumping your clutch off the line ... it can only take some much before you flip over or just break the tire loose..theres not as much torque at 11k

·
Registered
183 Posts
1st gear wheelies are the most easy to get up , i was having some trouble trying to get it up in 2nd, you just gotta rev it higher like from 7k to 11k or 12k i bounce it just a liiiitle bit, thats how it works for me atleast.
im not expert in this shit im learning too but ive been where you are, do what i told ya.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think its your clutch also! its a fairly simple fix and alot cheaper than a tranny! lol when you get it fixed keep practicing! after a while they come natural! and learn balance point if you wanna have smooth long wheelies!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have just started messing around with learning clutch ups as well. I am starting off in 1st gear just to try and get the feeling of them. I have gotten a few of them off the ground a decent amount but other times it just jerks forward and feels horrible. But like compactflt said definitely check out downshift83's youtube videos, I have watched them a few times and they are def helpful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First i want to thank you guys for the great advice and help. So turns out it was the clutch. I changed the clutch now im able to get the tire up everytime. Now I just got to get the tire up high enough to reach the bp. 2nd gear im having a hard time getting higher than 6 inches

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well my fellow rider I've been riding for about 5yrs and stunting about 2yrs, here's my advice. Please don't try wheelies in 1st gear unless you just want a quick feel of your bike lifting off a feet or two, number one reason why noobz loop their bikes. Sit down wheelies are scary cause you can't see where your going and balance point is damn near 12 o'clock, so I prefer staggered clutch ups.

I stunt a K6 750 and I have the best luck with 2nd gear clutch ups. It's not all power to make your bike come up but actually your stance and body position plays an important key in performing a stand up wheelie. First gear up, make sure your tire pressure is between 24psi to 30psi that helps keep your tire nice and flat while in a wheelie. Second warm your bike and tires, than practice a few sit down 2nd gear clutch ups just to get your heart rate pumping.

Now for the fun part get to a safe road with spot riders, meaning your friends that either drive or ride with you. Their job is to tell you how high you get and exactly how your wheelie looks. Now your in 2nd gear riding make sure your left rear peg is down while standing on your front pegs reach your leg back and triple check your left rear peg is solid and doesn't move. While in your staggered stance make sure your right front toe can still tap the rear brake in case you 12 o'clock.

Tuck a little, left knee bent, arms straight, right leg straight go about 30mph, squeeze clutch in first than hit the throttle HARD don't look at the rpms but at the road ahead. Once you release the clutch, pop your body up and straighten out both legs and stand straight keep some throttle on and ride it until it wants to come down. Don't make it a habit to hit the throttle when its coming down to ride your wheelie longer, you will loop your bike with the jerkyness.

Keep practicing body position and throttle control, and to keep it up longer your going to need BIG BALLZ or hit balance point. Ask your friends how high you got also how long you actually rode your wheelie. As a biker 10secs feels like a mile and 3ft feels like 12 o'clock. Enjoy my advice and keep it safe out their!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Noy! So I've gotten alot better with my 1st gear. Now my 2nd gear I am revving so high and it's still not coming up as high as I want it. I think i even revved to 10k and it still didn't pop up more than a foot. Am I almost redlining in 2nd to get it high enough?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks Noy! So I've gotten alot better with my 1st gear. Now my 2nd gear I am revving so high and it's still not coming up as high as I want it. I think i even revved to 10k and it still didn't pop up more than a foot. Am I almost redlining in 2nd to get it high enough?
I know that 1st gear wheelies are mainly frowned upon but that's how I learned to wheelie. Sit downs ARE scary...especially when all you see is your instrument panel and you feel like you're 12 o clock when you're really only 1-2 ft off the ground. This is usually where beginner riders usually panic and sometimes just pull the throttle even more resulting in looping it.

I began 1st gear clutch ups in a staggered stand up position with my right foot covering the rear brake. The only downfall to this is that you have alot more torque and the gixxers have a rather sensitive throttle. You have to be careful not to pull too hard because you could loop it.

You also wanna watch out for throttle chopping. You don't want sporadic, uneven throttle movements, this could cause you to loop it also. One of the last things is to watch how you come back down. You wanna try to give it a lil bit of gas on the way down to ensure a smooth landing. I've seen so many new riders bust their fork seals from just letting their front end bang back down.

Practice makes perfect buddy. Hit up a local parking lot with no traffic and practice, practice, practice!! Take some girls too, this usually makes you wanna try harder lol :biggrin

Good luck man!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
Aeon_Blue
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing