Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all....I have a 92 gsxr 750. It is a pain in the ass to shift. It is rough and not smooth either. 1st to second is such a pain it's a 50/50 1st to neutral not 2nd shift. Factory Pro makes a Detent arm and spring kit that they call a shift kit. Would that or something similar help? Is there anything else I can do? Is there better fluid or synthetic fluid that could help? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I would say go ahead and get it. I bought one for my 86 gsxr and noticed a little differance. Don't expect it to fix the problem, but it might help.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
what kind of clutch is in the bike? also adjust it if you can....if the clutch isn't disengaging completely, it could cause shifting problems.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I've got a factory pro shift kit in my 1100. It works great. I would get the one with the ball bearing detent arm. I've had them both and the pro shift kit makes shifting much smoother. The transmissions on these bikes work well stock, so don't expect your hard shifting problem to be cured with a shift kit, or oil. Check for a misadjusted clutch or warped steel plates if the clutch is dragging. You might want to adjust your shifter pedal too. My shifter was a little high and I missed a few shifts until I lowered it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Like others have said the factory hit will help a little bit but you should be able to get smooth shifting without it. From my experience here are a couple of things to check:

1. Lube your chain. When my chain gets dirty and dry it gets noticably harder to shift. Not quite sure why but it definitely does and a good clean and lube clears it right up.

2. Change your oil. When I got too long between changing oil you can definitely feel it in the tranny. Synthetic oil might help but just keeping good fresh oil in it makes it shift noticably better.

3. Check your jetting. If your bike has a lean spot, your revs won't drop fast enough when you let off the throttle, causing stiff shifting. I had this problem even after installing a DynoJet kit, I upped the pilot jet from 32.5-35 and it got rid of the lean spot and really made the shifting a lot better.

4. Check your clutch adjustment. I've never really had trouble with this but clearly if your clutch is dragging it'll be tough to shift. Aftermarket clutch kits usually don't work as well as the stock pieces so if you're got a Barnett in there that may not be helping the situation.

This is the stuff I'd check. Unless there's something really wrong with it this should clear it up, and if this stuff doesn't work I doubt a shift kit will help things.

Matt

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the helpful replies.....I worked on it yesterday...I changed the fluid, adjusted the shift lever and also replaced the clutch lever. It was bent and wasn't pulling all the way. Never noticed it until I put a new one on. It now shifts much better. Whohoo!!! I did order the kit from Factory. Is it pretty easy to install or any tips on the install?

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I think you have to remove the pipe, oil pan and clutch if you get the pro kit. They give you new gaskets though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts