Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a replacement longer distance touring and a later model ( likely 2012 or newer ) GSXR 1000 has caught my eye. My main motivation is something a bit lighter than my current bike. I appreciate that this bike wasn't designed for touring, and other bikes may be better choices; I've pretty much considered them all. Doing this will take some time and money to make one work for me, but I'm fine with making a project of it even if the economics don't make sense to others.

Of particular interest is in seeing other GSXR's with hard bags installed. My preference would be Givi V35 bags. I've done a bit of googling and know that this has been done but would really like a bit more in the way of the technical aspect of adapting the Givi bag frame to the bike.

Anything else that has been done to make this bike a LD tourer would be great to see.

Call me crazy but the challenge is getting too much to ignore.

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
I would look into some sport bike luggage rather than hard bags. Anything is possible with a little ingenuity of course. You could do something like this:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/33-general-bike-talk/304290-added-trunk-gsxr-1000-afternoon.html

That being said, I look at this somewhat like buying a Ferrari, getting married, having a child and wanting to make the Ferrari into a more "family friendly" car. You know, the right tool for the job and all that. As you know, these are street legal race bikes. I have seen bikes like these fitted with hard bags but it looks horrible and when the bags are removed with just the mounting frame, it looks just downright ugly.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
A GSX-R would make for a terrible long-distance tourer without buying a custom seat, custom bags, riser bars, and you'd still be stuck with poor wind coverage. A Ninja 1000, a FZ1, a Hayabusa, a ZX14, a Concours, etc would all be better choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A GSX-R would make for a terrible long-distance tourer without buying a custom seat, custom bags, riser bars, and you'd still be stuck with poor wind coverage. A Ninja 1000, a FZ1, a Hayabusa, a ZX14, a Concours, etc would all be better choices.
As I said, I have checked the other bikes and a GSXR will be a bit of a project to make suitable. Others have done it, I would just like to see some of the technical issues of mounting the bags.

Samantha, I don't ride in the city so the bags never come off.

·
3,860 Posts
As I said, I have checked the other bikes and a GSXR will be a bit of a project to make suitable. Others have done it, I would just like to see some of the technical issues of mounting the bags.

Samantha, I don't ride in the city so the bags never come off.
I really feel like you have not checked, because there are literally dozens of bikes that would make for a better tourer. In fact, what qualifications does a GSXR possess that makes it a suitable candidate? Is it the relatively small tank? The vibrations that will make you not want to hold the bars after a certain amount of time? The lack of bag mounting? The charging system that will limit your ability to connect various devices? The lack of windscreen options that will truly make it comfortable? The suspension that is not plush, nor designed for large hits?

I love my K6, but even swapping seats, adding bags, and mounting upright bars would not make me suddenly believe it's ready for touring. Unless I like carpal tunnel. And tinnitus.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
Yeah... not a serious one anyway. I did a couple of 300+ mile runs down the slab to my folks out near Toronto on my K6 1000 and while it wasn't 'terrible', it made me realize how much I missed my FJR1300 sport tourer. 100lbs of torque down low.... it only had a 5-speed because anything over 70-75 mph, downshifting was redundant. And in the turns, I made younger squids on sportbike look stupid.

In one trip click around the maritime provinces / Cabot Trail, I rode 4-5 consecutive 600-700 mile days with nary a back-ache to be had. It was so much fun that I was back again, 2 weeks later.

As was said above, get the right tool for the job.

·
3,860 Posts
Yeah... not a serious one anyway. I did a couple of 300+ mile runs down the slab to my folks out near Toronto on my K6 1000 and while it wasn't 'terrible', it made me realize how much I missed my FJR1300 sport tourer. 100lbs of torque down low.... it only had a 5-speed because anything over 70-75 mph, downshifting was redundant. And in the turns, I made younger squids on sportbike look stupid.

In one trip click around the maritime provinces / Cabot Trail, I rode 4-5 consecutive 600-700 mile days with nary a back-ache to be had. It was so much fun that I was back again, 2 weeks later.

Longest single stretch I did was about 200 miles straight on the highway, with one stop for fuel and food, but I also did a longer 270 mile ride with several stops and more twisties. My ass was quite unhappy by the end, and I will say that about 200 miles is the longest I'll want to be on that seat.

·
7,745 Posts
You know what's weird? When I bought my K6 1000, it came with a Corbin gel saddle. I met the seller 1/2 way (400kms away), threw all the shit that came with it in the trunk of my car (which my buddy drove back) and my first ride was a long one. My ass was KILLING me on the gel saddle not even half way home. Miserable first ride.

I swapped the stock seat back on and never had a problem again. When we'd go on the average run through our favorite routes up north in the hills, we'd always put on 300-500 kms a day. But not slab, just sitting there... working out in the turns. And no luggage BS. We'd just stop for burgers, gas and water.

Maybe you're just too ooooooooold. Get yourself a nice Goldwing trike maybe? :flipoff

·
7,745 Posts
This thread got me nostalgic and rummaging through old pics. I even had the top case for that big ol' tub but only ever used it once. Overkill unless you're bringing the missus with you or want to to something as stupid as bike camping.

Adding cases to a gsx-r is a dumb idea. I did a 2300km ride around new england on a 636 with just a tank bag. Pack light.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

·
----------------
1,761 Posts

Some nice pics there. I noticed your wheelie skillz too :burnout

That's the kind of bike OP should be looking at.

·
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...
1,375 Posts
Why not look into purchasing the GSX-S? Seems to be more suited for long distance and might not look so goofy with bags.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,716 Posts
Not a hard case and can't say that I recommend it but I've seen GSXR's show up at Laguna Seca with this.

·
Super Moderator
14,992 Posts
I go out on the bike, bust a nut, and quickly put it back in the garage (edit: before the cops can find me). Never understood you fuckers that want to go long distance on these things. They make baggers for a reason. Just sayin :dunno

1 - 20 of 38 Posts