Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I started getting some arthritic problems about two years ago and it's been on and off since, but mostly off and it's more of a mystery illness that they guessed at than anything. I'm all good now but since it started, I've had some real issues with after ten or fifteen minutes of riding, getting some real pain up the inside of my wrist when pulling the clutch lever in until the point of having to stop riding due to just not being able to pull the clutch in any longer. I'm going to adjust the lever and bring it closer to me, if that doesn't work, I'll get some new short levers. It might just be my health issues but I'm 20 and would like to hope I'm not THAT broken yet.
I was just curious as to whether anyone else has issues like this, any pains or aches that they've had to work around on the bike?

·
Dick/Vagina Embracer
2,945 Posts
I've got neuropathy in both my arms on the medial nerves due to a work injury, causes pain and then complete numbness in my hands and wrist. The only thing you can do is try to cope with it, maybe do some forearm and grip strength workouts so you can pull your clutch easier.

Pulling the clutch on a well adjusted bike should be pretty simple, so maybe see if your clutch is abnormally hard to pull as well. Maybe a quick clean and lube of your cable could fix a few of your issues.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
You might not want to get shorter levers, they might make it worse. Shorter lever pulling the same force would make it harder.

·
Administrator
15,466 Posts
Learn to up shift without the clutch. That would save some hand use but you'll need the clutch downshfting. Also with your affliction, were you tested for Lymes disease?

·
Douchebag with false sense of racial superiority
2,124 Posts
^ this. my girlfriend experienced some pain on her clutch pull as well. I taught her how to shift up without the clutch, and got her some aftermarket levers that brought the levers about an inch closer. it helped tremendously and she hasn't had any discomfort since.

at 20, seeing issues with "arthritis" is a bit far fetched.

try to adjust your body position more (in terms of where you're putting the weight of your upper torso). Support your upper torso with your core & legs instead of resting on your wrists. you can also try adjusting the clipons and tilting them down for a more straightened out wrist position.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Yeah, short levers won't make your life any easier.

You could get a CRG supersport clutch perch. It has adjustable lever ratio to make it pull easier. I have it on the middle setting on the 600 and its a very light pull. If you move the cable to the slot closer to the bar its even easier.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Learn to up shift without the clutch. That would save some hand use but you'll need the clutch downshfting. Also with your affliction, were you tested for Lymes disease?
I mentioned it to my NHS doctor but they said no and refused to test for it. If I suffer with the problems again, I'm going to go private. Twice the NHS just didn't know what they were doing nor took in any suggestions me and my family had from research and other people's stories.
I did lose quite a lot of muscle strength from the illness as the first time it happened, I couldn't even walk for two months and was bedridden for six. Second time after that, I was out of action again for another six months. I've been working on building my strength back, now working out with P90X, but I'll look into forearm and hand/wrist strength workouts too.

I can up shift without clutch but honestly using the clutch is all part of the riding experience for me, so that'll be a last resort. Thanks for everyone's input, I'll look into getting some aftermarket levers, that aren't short, that can bring it closer and I'll definitely look into these CRG ones you've mentioned!

Thanks again everyone.

·
Administrator
15,466 Posts
I mentioned it to my NHS doctor but they said no and refused to test for it. If I suffer with the problems again, I'm going to go private. Twice the NHS just didn't know what they were doing nor took in any suggestions me and my family had from research and other people's stories.
I did lose quite a lot of muscle strength from the illness as the first time it happened, I couldn't even walk for two months and was bedridden for six. Second time after that, I was out of action again for another six months. I've been working on building my strength back, now working out with P90X, but I'll look into forearm and hand/wrist strength workouts too.

I can up shift without clutch but honestly using the clutch is all part of the riding experience for me, so that'll be a last resort. Thanks for everyone's input, I'll look into getting some aftermarket levers, that aren't short, that can bring it closer and I'll definitely look into these CRG ones you've mentioned!

Thanks again everyone.
Fuck that. Get tested for Lymes disease asap.

·
Lets go racing!
7,568 Posts
Ever since I got my quickshifter, I pull the clutch lever less often. Up and down shift clutchless all the time. Less cramps in the hand/forearm.

·
Rectum Rupticus
9,925 Posts
Are you making sure to support your weight with your core muscles instead of your wrists on the bars ? Just throwing it out there even if you think it's the clutch action causing your pain . Also what do you do for a living have you checked into carpel tunnel syndrome ?

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,284 Posts
Question: is this chronic? Have you been riding regularly this season?

I ask because when it's my first ride after a long time out of the saddle, I also experience considerable pain from puling the clutch but if I ride through it, it gets better.

Either way, as others have said, clutchless upshifting will solve half the problem, at least

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used to have that problem, too. I adjusted the levers down so my wrist is more flat when I hold the bars. The stock set up would give me pains from pulling the levers at an angle. And of course forearm/wrist exercises will help.

Sent from my Galaxy S III.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I used to have that problem, too. I adjusted the levers down so my wrist is more flat when I hold the bars. The stock set up would give me pains from pulling the levers at an angle. And of course forearm/wrist exercises will help.

What are you telling him?? :shifty

·
Hates the French..especially Le Skid
4,223 Posts
Don't mean to sound like a dick but there is no way a doctor will refuse further testing and treatment if you were physically unable to walk for even a week let alone bed ridden for 6 months as you claim.

They would NEVER refuse a Lymes test as it is a simple blood test.

Whilst you might be concealing the full extent of your illness for personal and understandably privacy reasons, something just doesn't sound right.

Anyway, you could try adjusting the lever angle down a little more so your wrists aren't as bent and as has been said, support yourself more with your legs and stomach.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What are you telling him?? :shifty
Adjust his levers so the placement makes his wrists in a more neutral position vs. angled. And strengthening exercises for his forearms and wrists will help provide support when riding.

I used to have lots of wrists problems from lifting weights and typing all day. Once I started doing exercises for forearms and grip strength my wrists aren't nearly as bad. I still use gloves with wrist wraps when I train heavy, but riding and typing don't bother me anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Adjust his levers so the placement makes his wrists in a more neutral position vs. angled. And strengthening exercises for his forearms and wrists will help provide support when riding.

I used to have lots of wrists problems from lifting weights and typing all day. Once I started doing exercises for forearms and grip strength my wrists aren't nearly as bad. I still use gloves with wrist wraps when I train heavy, but riding and typing don't bother me anymore.

What specific wrist and forearm exercises are you asking him to do?

You know what? Nevermind...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't mean to sound like a dick but there is no way a doctor will refuse further testing and treatment if you were physically unable to walk for even a week let alone bed ridden for 6 months as you claim.

They would NEVER refuse a Lymes test as it is a simple blood test.

Whilst you might be concealing the full extent of your illness for personal and understandably privacy reasons, something just doesn't sound right.

Anyway, you could try adjusting the lever angle down a little more so your wrists aren't as bent and as has been said, support yourself more with your legs and stomach.
I understand your doubts, however I was hospitalised unable to walk when I got back from a holiday in America, I ended up getting put into an overflow ward and endured some shitty hospital care. Such as I was supposed to have an operation to drain a swollen hand I had, which never happened. Was supposed to have a scan, never did. I was in a room by myself at the end of a ward and nurses would come in to ask why I hadn't been seen out walking fully unaware of the fact I couldn't walk. I could go on forever with the neglect. I was able to just about walk after five days so I discharged myself. Stayed at home in bed, deciding to ride it out as they just had no idea what was wrong with me. After a,couple weeks I couldn't walk again, for two months. My family looked after me, when I say bedridden, it was with high levels of fatigue, fever and pain in red lumps I had all over my upper arms and chest. I slept most of the time, doped on painkillers.
Trust me, I know it all sounds bloody weird, my symptoms were random, and none of it made sense, I got referred to a rheumatology department who just saw me every six weeks to tell me they still didn't know. I had a lung infection, joint pain, and eventually I gave up on the doctors and are six months I got better. When it happened the second time, I was able to walk, just suffered with bad joint pains, fever and fatigue again, sometimes not able to walk on a swollen/bad ankle or knee, etc. I got put on steroids, and have been waiting for a follow up appointment I should have had a month ago.

Don't mean to bombard you all with my life story there, but honestly I've wanted answers on this for over two years now. But yeah, the whole thing sounds not right, cause the whole damn thing is just weird for a start.

Thanks for everyone's input and interest. Also, this only started after my illness. The more I ride with it, the more pain it causes, so I doubt it is to lack of riding as I'd hope. Once again, I'll look into everyone's suggestions.

Oh, one little thing because I feel it probably should get pointed out: I'm a female. :p

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Red, You may want to suggest to your doctor an immune deficiency. Maybe infectious arthritis caused by an opportunistic infection? With a CBC and WBC count it should be pretty easy to rule out. :eek:fftopic

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.