Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
I am a tater tot; young, not stout. Here is my bab
11,321 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Let me admit upfront I didn't read through this whole thread. I glanced through part of it, but thats about it. So what I may say may have been said before, and if so, I apologize, but I think this is very important so I'll take any possible ball busting resulting from this, because, frankly, I dont give a fuck.

if you care about yourself, wear a helmet

And by helmet, I mean a nice fucking helmet. Something from a good brand name, with good ratings, thats never been wrecked on & that isn't 15 years old (the padding inside ages, loses effectiveness)

Even if you dont give a shit about yourself, if you have a wife, and especially if you have kids, wear a helmet for them

it might make the difference between you being a vegetable that they have to water & tend for the next 40 years vs something you u heal up from in a couple of weeks

I hardly ride on the street anymore. Yeah, in some ways its more dangerous than the racetrack (which is basically where I stay nowadays). But mainly the street is boring. Too fucking slow unless you are going to do some interesting shit, and interesting shit translates into way illegal shit, and i'm just getting to be too old to run from the cops. or maybe too old to find it fun...... not that I ever did it... :)

But the street is dangerous, and SO many people get hurt there. And the fucked up part is, so many of the people I hear about getting hurt were doing.... 25, 30 mph

Its the stupid shit of someone left turning in front of you, or someone cutting you off in near bumper to bumper traffic, etc..... that seems to be a pretty big killer for people.

So, I recently took up bicycling again, need to get myself in shape for the track. I never wore a helmet in the past......... but started wearing one. Fucking hate it. But I'm going the same speeds sometimes as the people I've known who have died on bikes on the street......... so...... whether you get thrown off a bicycle or thrown off a motorcycle, your head hits the ground the same way at the same speed.

So i wear a fucking helmet. If I'm going out, I wanna get chucked off at 180 mph and get at at least 20 feet of air..... vs getting my head cracked at bicycle speed and crapping my pants for the next 30 fucking years............

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
Kris, if you're still contemplating a half helmet, :megan has a good story for you.

She was in upstate NY all week doing demo rides for BMW at the Americade Rally, nothing but cruiser riders there. A woman wearing a half helmet crashed one of the demo bikes, n00b mistake, target fixated in a corner and ran off into a ditch at like only 20-25 MPH.

She obliterated the gauge cluster and tore the damn windscreen off - with her face... In addition to paying for damage to the bike, she'll also need plastic surgery now to look halfway normal... All because she wanted to live up to the "Harley Freedom Image" instead of wearing a proper helmet...

I said it before, I'll say it again: A half helmet is only good for acting as a template to get a clean angle when you grind your face off.

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
im going with a modular helmet instead of a half shell (like i said earlier). right now, the hard part is finding the right one i like. i tried on a couple other ones last week at my local shop. i have no interest in buying one of those Bilt ones because i dont like the fit or quality of it. im considering an AGV modular helmet that looks just like my matte black K-3 but we will see!

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
im going with a modular helmet instead of a half shell (like i said earlier). right now, the hard part is finding the right one i like. i tried on a couple other ones last week at my local shop. i have no interest in buying one of those Bilt ones because i dont like the fit or quality of it. im considering an AGV modular helmet that looks just like my matte black K-3 but we will see!
:cheers

Check out the Shoei Multitec too. It's relatively compact and light for a flip-up and it's probably one of the safest ones on the market:

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Multitec&h=13&t=1

I've seen them down to $380 elsewhere.

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
:cheers

Check out the Shoei Multitec too. It's relatively compact and light for a flip-up and it's probably one of the safest ones on the market:

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Multitec&h=13&t=1

I've seen them down to $380 elsewhere.
i test fit that one a month ago and loved it! unfortunately i dont have the funds for it just yet. im gonna go visit my local shop again. they do a lot of 50% off sales on their left over Shoei and Arai helmets.

my AGV K3 is done for unfortunately. the helmet foam near my forehead is loose and makes so much noise when i run over bumps. i can barely hear traffic and my bike exhaust because all i hear is squeaking.

·
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché
4,047 Posts
Pretty sure there is a new version of the Multitec kicking round. Saw it in a dealer here. Looks like they have tweaked around with the hinge bits, made the button on the front bigger, etc etc. Small tweaks and a better shell shape maybe...:shifty

·
Registered
439 Posts
My neighbor who is an LA county firefighter refers to half helmets as brain scoops. He's seen his share of crashes. I do a lot of cycling and wear what amounts to a "half helmet" when I pull on my bicycle lid. I'm hitting 45mph on some tight windy descents. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got a arai corsair-V helmet 50% off, the $450 total i spent on it is worth it knowing how well it fits and i cant even feel it anymore...also knowing it was designed for racing and will survive a crash better than a $100 helmet... $450 is about what an emergency room costs per night with insurance :dunno

theres an older lady in town that rides a moped with a walmart BICYCLE helmet.. its tipped back on her head to where i can see her forehead... or its on backwards :dunno

61 - 70 of 70 Posts