Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as i
2,290 Posts
Yeah, BiLT is shit.

Got a flyer with what seemed like a too-good-to-be-true offer when Cycle Gear first introduced the brand (so I knew nothing about them) and bought the wife a set of gauntlets for $40. I wouldn't let her GARDEN in them, let alone ride with them. Absolute turds and a waste of money.

I looked at a few of their helmets at the local Cycle Gear shop... just as tragic.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
i want to get my GF one because she wants to ride with me.
Doesn't Steven get upset when you refer to him as your girlfriend? It seems kind of mean. :dunno

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yeah, BiLT is shit.

Got a flyer with what seemed like a too-good-to-be-true offer when Cycle Gear first introduced the brand (so I knew nothing about them) and bought the wife a set of gauntlets for $40. I wouldn't let her GARDEN in them, let alone ride with them. Absolute turds and a waste of money.

I looked at a few of their helmets at the local Cycle Gear shop... just as tragic.
i know sometimes some products are actually good out of an unreliable brand. take HJC for example. lots of info on how their helmets are not as good as it seems but the RPS-10 is top notch. i have no idea if Bilt was the same way. i tried the helmet on anyway because it was modular. the style is all the same so i wanted to see what it felt like. i definitely like the Shoei one they had up there.

Frank Thomas is another example. a lot of their gear tends to get knocked around for quality but their track suits are good for starters. i have read a lot of good things on the frank thomas suits when they were out and about. i even owned one and it was a good suit.

Doesn't Steven get upset when you refer to him as your girlfriend? It seems kind of mean. :dunno
yeah he does get a little upset but i just PIITB and he shuts up.

·
Banned
17,232 Posts
Yeah, BiLT is shit.

Rocking some Bilt boots right now and they have held up well. :dunno

·
loves oldgixxer and Anthony D
12,611 Posts
I'm not gonna lie, but since I switched to Harley, I have been rocking a half shell novelty helmet. :bitchslap

When I rode sportbikes, I always wore very pricey Arai full face, but I just felt that being that I don't ride as fast, a half shell would do. I am not an idiot, and totally understand that even a low speed crash can cause severe injury, and know I'm not being as safe as I can be. One year ago, I was involved in a high speed wreck with a car on the parkway, and was wearing my novelty half shell. Although I suffered broken bones, and spent 2 months in a hospital bed, the helmet actually kept up pretty well, and saved my life. I still have the helmet, and the rash on the surface is quite harsh, evidence that my head bounced on the road quite a few times. Luckily I did not receive any rash on my face. I understand that this was luck, and maybe my big belly and fat ass absorbed much of the impact, and it could have been worse. I am actually looking for a DOT half shell at the moment, to give me some piece of mind.

The biggest difference is the wind noise, which gets so bad at higher speeds (80+mph) that if I'm on a long ride, I will start to get a bad headache. Plus I have a very short windscreen, I think its the 4" shorty, which is pretty much good for nothing other than looks, so it gets pretty bad. My front fairing blocks some of the wind to my body, but my head gets blasted. I have some nice ear protection that I sometimes wear on longer rides which helps.

If you are very concerned with safety, by all means stick with full face helmets. Maybe get a half shell for local rides, and take it easy, and see if you like it. I understand that I set myself up to be flamed and called a squid, so blast away if you wish. I used to blast and laugh at people that wore novelty lids on sportbikes, so what goes around comes around I guess.

Cakes

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm not gonna lie, but since I switched to Harley, I have been rocking a half shell novelty helmet. :bitchslap

When I rode sportbikes, I always wore very pricey Arai full face, but I just felt that being that I don't ride as fast, a half shell would do. I am not an idiot, and totally understand that even a low speed crash can cause severe injury, and know I'm not being as safe as I can be. One year ago, I was involved in a high speed wreck with a car on the parkway, and was wearing my novelty half shell. Although I suffered broken bones, and spent 2 months in a hospital bed, the helmet actually kept up pretty well, and saved my life. I still have the helmet, and the rash on the surface is quite harsh, evidence that my head bounced on the road quite a few times. Luckily I did not receive any rash on my face. I understand that this was luck, and maybe my big belly and fat ass absorbed much of the impact, and it could have been worse. I am actually looking for a DOT half shell at the moment, to give me some piece of mind.

The biggest difference is the wind noise, which gets so bad at higher speeds (80+mph) that if I'm on a long ride, I will start to get a bad headache. Plus I have a very short windscreen, I think its the 4" shorty, which is pretty much good for nothing other than looks, so it gets pretty bad. My front fairing blocks some of the wind to my body, but my head gets blasted. I have some nice ear protection that I sometimes wear on longer rides which helps.

If you are very concerned with safety, by all means stick with full face helmets. Maybe get a half shell for local rides, and take it easy, and see if you like it. I understand that I set myself up to be flamed and called a squid, so blast away if you wish. I used to blast and laugh at people that wore novelty lids on sportbikes, so what goes around comes around I guess.

Cakes
nah i dont think you are a squid for wearing one. just comes down to personal opinion and what risks you wanna accept. i still like the idea of a half shell but im looking maybe towards a modular. i found out AGV makes a modular helmet that looks like my current AGV.

SVS might like the idea of you wearing a half shell for other reasons :eek:ogle

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
I understand that I set myself up to be flamed and called a squid, so blast away if you wish. I used to blast and laugh at people that wore novelty lids on sportbikes, so what goes around comes around I guess.

Cakes
Fucking squid!!!!! :lmao

Attachments

·
Banned
17,232 Posts
Half Shell Helmets

Pros:
1. The other Harley riders will want to talk to you.
2. They are legal.
3. Chicks dig scars, imagine what missing half your face will do.
4. Harley's engineers have said the ground hurts less when you wreck an 800 pound cruiser.

Full Face Helmets

Pros:
1. Harley riders won't want to talk to you.
2. They are legal.
3. They are safe and protect your entire face.
4. You won't get nasty looking scars.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Had a friend of the family go down in january with a half face helmet. He lost part of his once and chin. He was rear ended on the hwy by a woman who was texting:nono

As for the bilt helmet my friend purchased one and honestly for what you would be doing on a cruiser I think it would be just fine. Definitely better than a half face or cap.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Had a friend of the family go down in january with a half face helmet. He lost part of his once and chin. He was rear ended on the hwy by a woman who was texting:nono

As for the bilt helmet my friend purchased one and honestly for what you would be doing on a cruiser I think it would be just fine. Definitely better than a half face or cap.
i didnt like the comfort of the Bilt vs Shoei and thats always a big thing with helmets. i also dont want to get a modular helmet that may come apart on me. sure, they have a 5 year warranty but how many times in 5 years will i replace it?

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
From another thread:

My buddy's father was just in an accident (hit by a distracted motorist) wearing only a half face and gloves and jacket. He has a lot of riding experience and is pretty watchful but I guess that only gets you so far. Got a busted ankle, broken nose, some rash on his face, but otherwise he got off lucky. There's no substitute for good gear.

·
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché
4,047 Posts

·
I am a tater tot; young, not stout. Here is my bab
11,321 Posts
41 - 60 of 70 Posts