Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Canadian bacon is REAL!
1,701 Posts
My brother has the Bell Revolver, weighs a ton and a half. :lol

He actually thought it was pretty light till I showed him my RS-1.

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's simple. Sell the hammer and get the rc8 back. Then you have to wear a full face! :biggrin
How about I just sell my bike and quit riding all together?

·
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché
4,047 Posts
This puppy wants you to wear a full face helmet...:biggrin

·
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as i
2,290 Posts
I answered this 'elsewhere', but I'll comment on your two helmet choices (I own both).

The Bell Revolver SUCKS. Way too much interior noise, and too "roomy" on there around your face. But extremely tight on the forehead pad, I almost blacked out the 1st ride with it on. I now see why the prices dropped so low on them. Don't even consider it.

The Scorpion EXO-900 was my 1st helmet, and I still dig it. Comfy, works well, but HEAVY as shit and doesn't flow air very well.

I would look at the Shark Evoline 2 if I were you. You can even lock it OPEN and it is aerodynamic open or closed... giving you the ability to ride open or closed face in one helmet.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Quick story for you Jet. About 6 years ago a good friend of ours was riding his Harley around 45 mph on a quiet back road, taking it easy, no speeding. He came over a rise & there was a kid on a bicycle riding towards him in the middle of his lane. He hit the kid, crashed, & died a few days later. He was wearing a cheapie half helmet. Sad thing is he KNEW better, he had been a Paramedic when he was younger.

We had gotten into several arguments with me telling him how dopey I thought it was to wear that shitbag helmet. As he died from a closed head injury, chances are very good he would still be here if he had a decent lid on. The kid he hit had several injuries but was released 2 weeks later from the hospital. You can hit your head just as hard coming off of a cruiser as a sportbike. :cheers

·
Registered
753 Posts

Says it all.

Best I can figure a skid lid will protect you about 39% of the time in a wreck.
A 3/4 shell (pretty much the same as a modular with the bar flipped up except now you have a bar up on your forehead to act as a lever on your neck) will protect you 55% of the time.

I happen to like the other 45-61% of my face, even if others don't. :lol

When I had my Sportster, I rode in the exact same gear I wear now; no exceptions EVER.
I completely understand that it's socially "acceptable" to wear a 1/2 lid on a cruiser and the extra airflow would definitely be nice however, doing so leaves a LARGE percentage of your face vulnerable to some NASTY injuries. Pavement will literally grind your face right off. :vomit:eek:hmy

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
OK a couple of things. SVS, do you still have those nude photos of steven under your helmet? he says he has new ones for you to put under there.

I have been checking out modular helmets today. i was able to try some on. i tried the Shoei one and it is very comfortable and i like it! right now, Bilt has their solar helmets on sale half off ($99). i dont know enough about their helmets to say whether or not it is worth buying it at that price. the helmets come with a drop down tint glasses inside like some of the other styles i have seen. the helmet didnt feel very heavy either. it felt heavier than my AGV but it wasnt super bad. i want to get my GF one because she wants to ride with me.

while i was there, i was trying on new gear because i lost so much weight. i have to buy new gloves because the old ones are just way too big. i ended up picking up this nice Bilt cafe style racer jacket for $100 off. it doesnt say Bilt on it anywhere and it looks pretty snazzy. I am swimming in my jackets and gear now due to my weight loss. i shrunk from XL coat to L, XXL (a-stars) to XL gloves, pants sizes went down 1 size, but my helmet size is still the same. i think i toned up a lot because i only lost 8lbs in weight and im 223lbs.

thanks for the information guys. ill just go with a modular helmet. one of my coworkers rides with his and loves it when he is at stop lights. i could really use it because i get hot too easily (even in winter!). oldfart, thanks for the story too!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have 2 of the Bilt modular helmets too. One for me and one for the wife. They are pretty nice. The wind noise is a quite a bit more than my full face. But there again I wear earplugs so no problem. As mentioned before I wear prescription glasses and the flip down dark visor inside misses them. Only complaint we have had about that particular helmet is the vent in the top. Had one to stick in the open position. Not a real problem but took it back to Cycle Gear and they gave me a new helmet under the replacement warranty the helmet has.

·
19,104 Posts
thanks for the information guys. ill just go with a modular helmet. one of my coworkers rides with his and loves it when he is at stop lights. i could really use it because i get hot too easily (even in winter!). oldfart, thanks for the story too!

As soon as I read your question, I thought of my friend that passed. It was one of those relatively easy crashes, but he hit his head hard when he hit the street. I think about it a lot whenever the half helmets are discussed. :cheers

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
[/I][/B]

As soon as I read your question, I thought of my friend that passed. It was one of those relatively easy crashes, but he hit his head hard when he hit the street. I think about it a lot whenever the half helmets are discussed. :cheers
do half shells work much better at your GDC camping trips on your property?

·
19,104 Posts
do half shells work much better at your GDC camping trips on your property?
Oh, hell yes, we fill them up with KY & we take turns sitting in them. After that we all pretend we are sleeping & that Martin is Santa coming to give is presents!

·
4,047 Posts

·
19,104 Posts

·
4,047 Posts
That's a rarely seen picture of NJRacer from my last big party. He always like to butch it up.
The chains are what do it for me...:lol

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
OK a couple of things. SVS, do you still have those nude photos of steven under your helmet? he says he has new ones for you to put under there.

I have been checking out modular helmets today. i was able to try some on. i tried the Shoei one and it is very comfortable and i like it! right now, Bilt has their solar helmets on sale half off ($99). i dont know enough about their helmets to say whether or not it is worth buying it at that price. the helmets come with a drop down tint glasses inside like some of the other styles i have seen. the helmet didnt feel very heavy either. it felt heavier than my AGV but it wasnt super bad. i want to get my GF one because she wants to ride with me.

while i was there, i was trying on new gear because i lost so much weight. i have to buy new gloves because the old ones are just way too big. i ended up picking up this nice Bilt cafe style racer jacket for $100 off. it doesnt say Bilt on it anywhere and it looks pretty snazzy. I am swimming in my jackets and gear now due to my weight loss. i shrunk from XL coat to L, XXL (a-stars) to XL gloves, pants sizes went down 1 size, but my helmet size is still the same. i think i toned up a lot because i only lost 8lbs in weight and im 223lbs.

Kris, I'm starting to think that you are either trolling or have indeed suffered vibration damage to your brain. Cheap-ass Bilt helmet? Really? :facepalm

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Kris, I'm starting to think that you are either trolling or have indeed suffered vibration damage to your brain. Cheap-ass Bilt helmet? Really? :facepalm
definitely not trolling. i didnt say i was going to buy a Bilt helmet. i said i tried it on and considered it but i dont know enough about the brand to really say whether that helmet was worth buying. i just happened to be at cycle gear and wanted to look at all the ones they had on the shelf. i have never worn a modular helmet before so i tried on Bilt because it was there and tried on the Shoei. i did some homework this morning and people complained about the quality of the Bilt modular helmet and everyone was recommending HJC for a modular. :twitch

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
definitely not trolling. i didnt say i was going to buy a Bilt helmet. i said i tried it on and considered it but i dont know enough about the brand to really say whether that helmet was worth buying. i just happened to be at cycle gear and wanted to look at all the ones they had on the shelf. i have never worn a modular helmet before so i tried on Bilt because it was there and tried on the Shoei. i did some homework this morning and people complained about the quality of the Bilt modular helmet and everyone was recommending HJC for a modular. :twitch
Bilt is Cyclegear's own brand, all cheap Chinese stuff that's often sold under different brands elsewhere. It's better than NO gear but that's about it.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts