Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, who wears a half shell with sun glasses? I have an interest in getting one to use on nice days. I like wearing my full helmet but i want to try something a bit different being on a cruiser. Any good/bad thoughts on them?

·
Rectum Rupticus
9,918 Posts
A Pudding bowl . :facepalm :facepalm You should no better after riding Sportbikes .

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im just getting tired of sweating my head in the summer in a full face and my visor fogging up. i wanna try something different every now and then. i really dont see a difference on a cruiser if someone wore a half shell, full helmet, or a flip up full helmet. half shell helmets have been around a very long time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I will get blasted, but yes I were a half helmet when I am riding my cruiser. Yes I do have a full face and a 3/4 too. No it doesn't have a spike or covered in stupid ass stickers. But it does have a Rat Fink sticker on the back of it. I do wear sunglasses or clear. They are presciption glasses.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will get blasted, but yes I were a half helmet when I am riding my cruiser. Yes I do have a full face and a 3/4 too. No it doesn't have a spike or covered in stupid ass stickers. But it does have a Rat Fink sticker on the back of it. I do wear sunglasses or clear. They are presciption glasses.
how much of a difference is it for you to wear a half shell vs a full? i know a lot of cruiser riders in my area that wear half shells a lot. i have an interest in picking up a scorpion brand half shell to wear every now and then.

·
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché
4,047 Posts
Please tell me you are taking the piss...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well to me I seem to have a better perifrial vison. On my cruiser the speedo is located on the tank so I can see it all easier that than with a full face, but can see it ok with 3/4 too. Of course I wear ear plugs with all helmets, so no real change there.
Just riders choice I suppose.

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well to me I seem to have a better perifrial vison. On my cruiser the speedo is located on the tank so I can see it all easier that than with a full face, but can see it ok with 3/4 too. Of course I wear ear plugs with all helmets, so no real change there.
Just riders choice I suppose.
I noticed that i have much better vision on a cruiser wearing a full helmet looking to my left/right and my side view mirrors. I asked this question to a few half shell cruiser riders on what they thought. Most of them have been riding 10+ years on cruisers with a half shell. Overall, it doesnt seem like a major deal to wear them. I am all for it on those very nice days especially this summer coming up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I do in summer. But in the rain or cooler months I wear my full helmet. But have been caught out in rain with half helmet. Was glad for the windshield then. LOL!

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
The only purpose one of those pieces of shit serves is as a template to grind your lower face off at a nice, even angle. "People that have ridden 10+ years on cruisers with half helmets"? :facepalm How many times they have used those "helmets" (read: crashed) would be more relevant. Hell, there are people who have ridden 10+ years on cruisers with no helmet and "are just fine". Ask Indian Larry how that worked out for him in the end.

Please don't tell me the vibrations from that big, lazy, American V-twin have already damaged your brain that much :dissapointed

·
Sphincter Pincher
7,843 Posts
:dissapointed Cuz when you get thrown off the bike only the top of your head is gonna hit anything:bitchslap The way I see it if your gonna wear one of those you might as well not wear one. They leave 3/4 of your head unprotected. Worthless for protection

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
Kris, don't be a fucking idiot. Crashing at road speeds on a cruiser isn't gonna hurt less than doing the same on a sport bike. Imagine this was a half helmet with your head inside:

·
11,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i like that shoei modular helmet. i have been looking at those as well. i just want more ventilation when im out riding around and stopped. i sweat very easily regardless the season.

Martin, i know bike crashes hurt regardless what you are on. people use these helmets all the time and i know a lot of cruiser riders who do as well. i cant say im against a half shell but i dont fully understand them or why people wear them. i have yet to meet a cruiser rider who has crashed in 1 to convince me differently.

over the past couple hours, i have been looking at modular helmets to use for my commuting and riding. at least with those, i can flip them up at lights and cool and wipe my face more often.

Scorpion helmet i am considering:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7943

Bell Revolver:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=10441

·
Sphincter Pincher
7,843 Posts
I sweat easily and alot too. I just let me cheek pads soak it up. Sounds sick but I have a removable liner and there really is no other option. DO what you want but IMO the "bucket" half helmets are worthless. My dad has a real nice shoie that is 3/4. It wraps all the way around the base of his head and over his ears, and has a full wind screen. Pretty much just doesnt have a chin.

Id hate to see a post a month from now saying you wish you would have worn a full helmet cuz your skin is missing. Or to see you end up in the fallen riders section. My .02 :cheers :burnout

·
4,047 Posts
Hey, its 'Murica. Dont go encroaching on his freedoms now...

Seriously, go for the modular helmet. My father uses a Shoei Multitec. Works well, dosnt have to take it off to get fuel, blah blah.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,127 Posts
people use these helmets all the time and i know a lot of cruiser riders who do as well. i cant say im against a half shell but i dont fully understand them or why people wear them. i have yet to meet a cruiser rider who has crashed in 1 to convince me differently.
That is about the worst argumentation ever. Lots of people ride without a helmet all the time - that doesn't make it any less stupid...

Reminds me of a kid getting caught smoking by his parents and then trying the "all the other kids do it" excuse...

As for the flip-ups - at least they are safer (when they are closed, anyway) but they are heavy and noisy. I had a Schuberth Concept many years ago - ended up selling it after a few months because it was close to a pound heavier than a good full-face - which you can really feel on long rides - plus the constant wind noise over the gaps was annoying, even with ear plugs. All flip-ups have these problems and some of them are significantly less safe than full-faces. But hey, your choice :dunno

·
4,047 Posts
That is about the worst argumentation ever. Lots of people ride without a helmet all the time - that doesn't make it any less stupid...

Reminds me of a kid getting caught smoking by his parents and then trying the "all the other kids do it" excuse...

As for the flip-ups - at least they are safer (when they are closed, anyway) but they are heavy and noisy. I had a Schuberth Concept many years ago - ended up selling it after a few months because it was close to a pound heavier than a good full-face - which you can really feel on long rides - plus the constant wind noise over the gaps was annoying, even with ear plugs. All flip-ups have these problems and some of them are significantly less safe than full-faces. But hey, your choice :dunno
The multitec is indeed heavy, and dosnt score as well in the SHARP tests because of all the gubbins on the side, but with the whisper kit (extra neck and chin curtain) my Father reckons its pretty damn quiet.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts