Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a hid kit online and got a projector with hid and angel eye ccfl ring. My issue is I have to take the headlight assembly apart with a heat gun to install it. Has anyone had experience with this and is there a better hid unit out there that I don't have to risk screwing up a 300 headlight? I have searched on here and read of a k5 owner doing it and he said it was a pita. Thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I bought a hid kit online and got a projector with hid and angel eye ccfl ring. My issue is I have to take the headlight assembly apart with a heat gun to install it. Has anyone had experience with this and is there a better hid unit out there that I don't have to risk screwing up a 300 headlight? I have searched on here and read of a k5 owner doing it and he said it was a pita. Thanks
buy a used headlight to practice with.

wee

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
PM a member named Pogden, he did it on a K7 1000 last year. Good guy, but hasn't been on much in a while.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
its actually easier than you think, but a little nerve racking cus it involves the use of heat + plastic headlight

dont use a heat gun - use your oven. A heat gun will focus heat on a small area, cause that area to heat up and the rest of the headlight will be cold.

Put your oven at about 200, then put the headlight in for about 8-10 mins. The glue holding the headlight 'glass' to the black backing will become soft and you should be able to pry them apart.

After that, its a bit more work, cus you have to 'customize' the installation of the projector (i'm assuming youre bike doesnt have a projector now), but there's tonees of ideas from guys who have done it online (for bikes and cars)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts