Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Deceptively Fast
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't worry, I am keeping my GSX-R750. But I recently traded in my Suzuki Burgman AN400 super scooter which was an excellent commuter, up to 70 mpg (on slow back roads) and 95 mph indicated top speed (able to handle any highway) but a little too sedate. I bought my first Harley-Davidson after much research. If you are a sport bike guy and want a change of pace, I think I found the best H-D cruiser model as far as handling and practicality. Be aware that many H-D models have fatal flaws in the name of styling. The Forty-Eight has a tiny 2.1 gal tank, the 883 Iron only has 1.6" of rear suspension travel, the Nightster has tubed tires, the 883 Super Low is cramped, the full sized models are heavy, some have skinny pizza cutter front tires. My advice, go for the 1200 over the 883 as there is little cost in mpg, weight, handling, or insurance (I think). Mine has the standard reach bars, but you can also order this model with low drag bars or mini ape hangers.

The XL1200C Custom Sportster has it all: good suspension, 4.5 gal tank, wide front tire, wide front forks, rubber-mounted engine, lots of torque, comfy ergos, easy maintenance (fast fluid changes, belt drive), and oodles of character. Stock pipes sound good. Switch gear very good with self-cancelling turn signals. Great for fun riding at legal speeds and long days in the country. When you become more mature (i.e. older) it is more about torque than horse power. Downsides: scrapes pegs easily, wider fork not compatible with older model Sportster fork-mounted windscreens, considered a beginner's or girl's bike by some H-D riders, needs windshield for highway use, stock location of rear indicators blocks easy saddlebag installation. Mods: solo swing arm bag (actually attaches to a frame-mounted bracket, not the swing arm), removed passenger pegs (to allow for solo bag), Memphis Shades Hell Cat bar-mounted windshield (excellent, not show), Chase Harper tailbag attached at removed passenger grab strap, reused lightly-modified rear pegs for front pegs to increase cornering clearance and for better reach to foot controls (stock front pegs are too long, dip down, and have long feelers). If you have questions, just ask. I highly recommend this bike. The H-D dealership and salespeople were excellent and extremely helpful and patient. I also looked at the Yamaha Star Stryker 1300 (water-cooled and raked out) but it weighs 80 lbs more and is a bit long for my preferred parking arrangement.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Put some longer shocks in the back. Trust me, it will transform the bike. That was by FAR and away the best mod I did to mine when I had it.

Other than that, the Sportster is a great bike. I'd love to have another some day. I just finished a LONG day ride on a Dyna and the Sportster is 1000x the better bike for WAY less $$$.

·
Deceptively Fast
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was riding to a bike meet up today and accelerated from a stop light to catch up with three other riders who made it through the light (I stopped for the yellow). I got pulled over by a cop in a patrol car who said I was doing 60 in a 35 mph zone. I think he was exaggerating as I only gunned it going up a short hill. I told him I was just trying to catch up (he saw the other riders) and he let me go with a warning. I was wearing the same gear as in the photo, so maybe the open face cop helmet worked in my favor. I have never gotten a warning when wearing a full face helmet on a sportbike, just speeding tickets.

·
Confuses vag for cock... That would be "cock" as i
2,290 Posts
considered a beginner's or girl's bike by some H-D riders,
Yup :biggrin

Although I see the appeal for someone who may not be all that big. I don't subscribe to the whole "if you're a large guy, you need a large bike" thing, but anyone over 5' 8" and 100lbs just looks like their riding a girl's bike when they are on a Sporty.

But IMO as long as you like it, who cares.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yup :biggrin

Although I see the appeal for someone who may not be all that big. I don't subscribe to the whole "if you're a large guy, you need a large bike" thing, but anyone over 5' 8" and 100lbs just looks like their riding a girl's bike when they are on a Sporty.

But IMO as long as you like it, who cares.
I think if you're worried about how you look on a bike or what other people think of you on a bike then your riding for the wrong reason, but sadly for a lot of people it is just an image thing.

That's a nice looking bike. I don't think any amount of limb savers will help you out on that bike tho :) I've actually been considering getting a blackline or a street bob in the near future to try out something different. I would still have to rock the full face helmet tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts