Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you/should you reoil your guns while in storage? :dunno

I know the oil drys over time. I took my gun out to check it and noticed the oils starting to dry again.

So how often should you check your guns and reoil them when stored away??? Is it ok to use a little more oil after cleaning it if you know you arent going to be using it for a while?

·
16,995 Posts
How often do you/should you reoil your guns while in storage? :dunno

I know the oil drys over time. I took my gun out to check it and noticed the oils starting to dry again.

So how often should you check your guns and reoil them when stored away??? Is it ok to use a little more oil after cleaning it if you know you arent going to be using it for a while?

If they're stored properly you shouldn't have any problems.
How often do you shoot them?
I shoot every month & none of mine go more than 6 months without seeing range time. My son cleans them after I/we shoot so they're always clean/oiled when it's their turn at the range.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I shoot at least once a week so I kinda slack on cleaning most of the time. Only clean once a month. It's not humid out here so I don't worry about surface rust, but you could try getting a couple of gun socks with the silicone treated fabric. If they're stored in a safe, silica desiccant packets or cans are your friend.
Gunsock: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester-Gray-Gun-Sock/17473822
Silica: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/HySkore-1-Liter-Can-Silica-Gel-Dessicant.aspx?a=359233&pm2d=CSE-SPG-3-GOOGLE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

·
Taught Goatsee everything he "knows"
12,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I store mine in a gun sock now. I learned leaving it in the case can be bad. I used to leave mine in a cheap foam lined case. But once I learned that wasnt good I bought silicone socks ASAP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
nitrous36
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing