Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, could you guys recommend a good rifle and shot gun i could use for both the range and home defense?

Ive have some experience shooting over the years with peoples 22s, 303 and some 12 gauge, but I am no means gun educated.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Since you're in Canada, you're probably better off going to a local gun store and asking them. Most people on here live in America and don't know Canadian gun laws.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Hard to beat a Remington 870 for a home defense shotgun. Interchangeable barrels/chokes give you all kinds of options for defense/sport/hunting. Very reliable gun, and not particularly expensive, depending on how you option it.

As for rifles, that's a pretty broad category. Best to go look for yourself and maybe narrow it down a little. Single shot? Bold action? Semi-auto? Just depends on your budget and what you ultimately want to do with it.

I agree w/ Skullman - go to a local gun shop and see whats available and legal for your area. Do research on your own once you find out what the laws are and get some hands on at the store. Don't just go off what the salesman says. I've found quite a few gun salesmen who have no clue what they're talking about. Too much time reading Guns & Ammo and not enough time at the range or in the field.

Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will do some more homework.

Its true, our gun laws here are pretty strict. I dont know anyone who really has any real knowledge of firearms so I turn to you guys. My neighbour has a Benelli M4 and that looked pretty nice.

Earlier this month, I went to our local sporting goods store and found the sales people were mostly trying to sell me just hunting gear and bolt action rifles. I talked to one of the gunsmiths; he was somewhat informative, but couldnt agree on what type of rifle i should have bought. As for shotguns, i was looking at mossberg 500.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Both the M4 and Mossberg 500 are good guns. Just depends on your budget and what you're comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
love my remington 870. prefer it over the mossberg 500. what king of rifle u looking for?

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
For the shotguns, Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Big plus one on either of them. Or both. :D

As for a rifle, it depends on what you want to do with it. For HD, it's probably not the most practical tool but again, depends on your circumstances.

For HD, just stick with the shotguns.

If you want to learn to shoot a rifle, just get a rifle in .22LR. A 10/22 is THE rifle. Cheap to shoot, and very very little recoil so you can shoot all day.

For hunting, a bolt action .30 caliber rifle is ideal. That includes, of course, 7mm magnum, etc. Many such rifles can be used for long-range shooting, even up to 1,000 yards.

A classic rifle you'll see a lot is the AR15 but that may be troublesome to get in Canada. Same with rifles like AK variants or SKS. Any of these rifles can be used for short range hunting or for home defense but they are high velocity rounds which can over-penetrate. If you live in an apartment or in a house with neighbors very close to you, it can be a problem.

I'm on www.thefiringline.com which has a TON of information that will help you with all of these issues.

Let us know what you come up with.

--Wag--

·
Registered
357 Posts
+1 for the Mossberg 500 but if you can get a converted Saiga 12 in Canada I'd go for that too.
Might get a little more information here http://www.canadianlawsite.ca/gunlaws.htm
I haven't been able to find anything that says what guns are legal/illegal though.

edit- After reading through some of the requirements to get licensed, I'd rather live under CA gun laws. holy hell

·
Registered
674 Posts
X2 on the 870. Although I do love my model 500. As for rifles I agree with the. 30 caliber(30-06,308) and heck yea on the 10/22. Easy to shoot, inexpensive to shoot and just fun.

JMO

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
How much do you want to spend on a shotgun for HD ? There are lots of options. Do you plan to make it tacticool or leave it as you get it ? If you want a short barrel pump action shotgun the 870 would be a good choice since there are suppliers making barrels as short as 6.5" for the 870 that are legal. If you want the basic 18.5" pump action HD shotgun I would say the Mossberg 500 and the Rem 870 are fairly equal. The biggest differance between the two that I know of is the location of the safety. Rem is on the trigger gaurd and the moss is on top of the reciever unless you get a mossberg maverick.
Go to a gun shop and handle a few differant ones and see which one feels best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts