Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, first post for me, a great forum.

I have a GSXR750RR 1989. It has started putting fuel onto the garage floor leaking through the breather from the base of the airbox.

I'm not familiar with vacuum fuel taps, but I took the tank off, making sure that the tap was on RESERVE as I understand fuel should not come out through the ON or RESERVE setting. Alas I was wrong and petrol went everywhere. I guess it must be the fuel tap at fault and I can see from the forum its a frailty of early GSXR's.

Am I right that fuel should only drain freely on PRI and not on the other setting. Do I need a new tap or is something else amiss Any help would be greatly received.

Many thanks

Buzzahole

·
Possibly infected with Ebola
3,216 Posts
Yes the petcock should only freely flow fuel on pri because there is no vacuum needed. If fuel is coming out on on or res then you have a faulty petcock because vacuum should be pulling the fuel in those positions. And of course vacuum is only applied when starting the bike or having it running. You can either get a rebuild kit for the petcock or just buy a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Possibly infected with Ebola
3,216 Posts
I am not sure at all if the rr is the same as the k. I have a 94 750wr and the petcock positions are the arrow at 6 o'clock is on 9 is res and 3 is pri. You could get a new high flow from pingel but it won't have a vacuum line and you will have to remember to turn off the petcock when not riding because pingels run from gravity. You can search classifieds on here to find one or go to a dealership and get an oem or rebuild kit. Always the option of going to a cycle salvage yard and picking one up cheap

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

1 - 5 of 5 Posts