Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

461 - 480 of 485 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Hello,

I am new to GixxeR and really enjoying this particular thread, just some random thoughts that maybe of interest (?) being an RK custodian myself. Had mine since 1991 bought new from Peter Stevens in Dandenong (Australia). Sold it sometime in 1997, bought it back some 2 months later. Haven't read through all the threads yet but the articles on the RG v RK is great and the Mortlock Internal use only document is fantastic stuff. Also didn't realise the 1989 AMA winner was a short stroke. Noting that Polens 1989 RR winning All Japan F1 Champion and WSB race winner was a long stroke. Although I loved my GSXR750K, so short strokes are all good by me. My RR is running an even longer stroke kit with longer conrods and spacers on the bottom of the barrel. Noting mine is far from stock, but most parts are kit parts or better.

I note some have 2 or 3 RK's, wow!

Nice if you can do it, makes me feel a lot better about the number of toys I have. ?

Agree with the comments on the brake rotors above.

Ciao

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all.
I stumbled across this article while cruising Pintrest and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if its been posted here before but here it is anyway. It was first published in Bike Australia May/June 1990.

Archives: Blue Bolide

Graham.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Hi Graham,

I have the original Bike Austraila magazine and used it as part of my research before buying my RR (Nearly 30 years ago....).Yes it is a really good article referencing the 1988 World Endurance championship. Thanks for posting it, as it brought back a lot of good memories.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
nobody made a jet kit for the RK's as far as i know,a friend of mine was Dynojet's head fuel engineer worked with me way back then to make up jets kit for my RK's,both for stock airbox and the big K&N dual pods,,the singles never worked worth a crap.if i get a chance i can look and see what he gave me,i haven't touched my RK's for over 15 years or so,and use Keihin FCR's,i'll see if i can dig something up.the kits he sent me were made up so no listing exists,

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
my RK's spent a lot of time strapped to my Dynojet dyno.tried a lot of stuff before it would run near perfect,those RK carbs are something special,

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
my RK's spent a lot of time strapped to my Dynojet dyno.tried a lot of stuff before it would run near perfect,those RK carbs are something special,
Hello, if memmory serves me right from 25 plus years ago, I did buy a Dynojet kit for my RR. I still appear to have some of the parts. I fitted a SS Yoshi and fitted the carb kit, I never dynoed it with this set up, but it ran smoothly, no idea if it made any more power or less? Not long after I fitted the full race kit (titaium yoshi, twin L bigger cooler kit etc etc) and ran the race kit carb kit with oval K & N pods, which took a fair bit of setting up. Did you get a power gain from the FCR's? Thought about doing it but it runs so well now its hard to begin again with a fresh set up. But sorry Graham its doubtful that you would get one from Dynojet now and maybe my memory is failing me and its didn't happen that way? Not aware of anybody else doing one, if you wanted to upgarde maybe go the FCR way with no obligation support from Hootguy. ;) Or maybe a set of Mikuni's smoothbores or leave well enough alone?:)

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Hello, if memmory serves me right from 25 plus years ago, I did buy a Dynojet kit for my RR. I still appear to have some of the parts. I fitted a SS Yoshi and fitted the carb kit, I never dynoed it with this set up, but it ran smoothly, no idea if it made any more power or less? Not long after I fitted the full race kit (titaium yoshi, twin L bigger cooler kit etc etc) and ran the race kit carb kit with oval K & N pods, which took a fair bit of setting up. Did you get a power gain from the FCR's? Thought about doing it but it runs so well now its hard to begin again with a fresh set up. But sorry Graham its doubtful that you would get one from Dynojet now and maybe my memory is failing me and its didn't happen that way? Not aware of anybody else doing one, if you wanted to upgarde maybe go the FCR way with no obligation support from Hootguy. ;) Or maybe a set of Mikuni's smoothbores or leave well enough alone?:)
according to Dynojet,,they never made a kit specific to the 40's on the RK,there was no RK's in the US,,and very few in Canada, if so,it would have made things so much easier,i wouldn't have to have spent weeks with their head fuel engineer Lawrence yo make something work,maybe you have a jet kit from another manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
All good, as I said above I was working on memory going back 25 years plus with the Dynojet kit, I did fit one to my GSXR750K (36) so maybe that is the confusion on my part? But I definitely have a genuine race kit carb kit fitted to my 40"s. Which isn't Dynojet. noting that we raced RR's here in Aus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks all. I have asked Dynojet if they can supply jet kits for a BST40 so it will be interesting what they come back with. Does anyone know if the BST40's that are supplied with the DR650 and some KTM's differ in any way except the jets? There seems to be plenty of seal kits available for them.
Graham.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
The RK carbs basically pretty much identical to the BST40 carbs used on the gsxr1100 M / N. There should be plenty parts available for them at a good dyno shop.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Hi Graham, I have sourced additional main jets and air jets from Mikunioz no problem. These jets are common across the range. But it obviously doesn't make a performance kit, it just supplymented what I had in the race kit. Interesting how you go with Dynojet, but Hootguy seems very sure and I am not going to argue with him. Have you tried Mick Hone Motorcycles in Box Hill Vic for Mikuni parts? Mick used to run the race team of RR's back in the day as you probably know. He still has a lot of unobtainum parts he has accumulated over the years. I have bought most of my race kit parts through him 20 something plus years ago. He was in direct contact with Fujio Yoshimura and his team in Japan, sourcing race parts directly from them for his RR's. I was thinking the same thing as hondac71 said about the 40's on the 1100's, last night, but I have no experience myself with them. Hope this helps a little bit more. Cheers

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Just remembered a website, dellortoshop.com, they list a spare parts kit for BST40's, appears to be genuine Mikuni parts, you will have to do a little digging to find it on the site as they have a lot of stuff. Maybe have a look and see what you think? I haven't dealt with them so can't vouch for them.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Sorry, just in case, he was dealing with Tokio Konno and Funihiko Kamimura circa 1990 Yoshimura Japan, I think Fujio was in the USA then, not sure on that? But he does know him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is the reply from Dynojet;
Hello Graham, lucky you to have one of those rare 750 RR's! Unfortunately, due to the limited production, Dynojet never produced a jet kit for that model bike. I'm sorry, but we do not have anything to offer you.
At least they know their bikes!
There is quite a lot available at Mikunioz and Suzuki can also supply kits (may not be OEM) so starting to gather bits.
Thanks for all your leads, I'll chase them up.
Graham.

·
FBH Operator
3,028 Posts
89YoshiRR,
Mick also got back some of his old RKs and a heap of parts a while back so may have some of the race kit parts amongst them.

461 - 480 of 485 Posts