Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

401 - 420 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am pretty sure all of EU and UK were designated "B"
It would be interesting to see some of the other European owners compliance plates.
Best guess would be that your bike came to Australia as a GR79A and was not sold. I think they were around $21.5k back in the day and I know Tony Armstrong at Springwood Suzuki purchased around 8 or so at a substantially lower price back from Suzuki Australia. Perhaps yours was sent to the EU to be sold as I think there was a stronger market there. Hence the European or "B" style VIN plate with it still being an "A" model manufactured for the Australian market. Just a guess as I can`t think of any other way it has an "A" designation on a "B" vin tag. Back in the day Yamaha sent loads of RZ500`s back to the factory as they couldn`t sell them so it was not an uncommon practice.
I mailed off your decals today as well mate.

·
Factor
643 Posts
Practical Sportbikes just did an article on RK vs LTD riding Deals Gap IS US. Will have to copy it here. Loved the RK, praised both.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I have always wondered why the 750 J and K models were described as not competitive as per all the articles related to long stroke GSXRs and the reason why RK got that engine... in 89 Jamie James won AMA championship in a short stroke based engine.

GSXRs long strokes did not win any AMA championship in the 80-90s.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have always wondered why the 750 J and K models were described as not competitive as per all the articles related to long stroke GSXRs and the reason why RK got that engine... in 89 Jamie James won AMA championship in a short stroke based engine.

GSXRs long strokes did not win any AMA championship in the 80-90s.
Here`s another article from April 1988 AMCN highlighting the vast difference between the RC30 and standard 750J model GSX-R.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here`s another interesting piece of internal Suzuki literature from 1988. It came from a state Suzuki distributor and was used to inform/educate Suzuki sales staff on the RK.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
As there seems to be a lot of interest in the RK and Henriks thread got a bit hijacked, I thought I'd start a thread just for RK owners to share pictures and information and see how many we can find!

I own 2 RK's, one is standard and a little tatty, the other is very much a work in progress. It has Showa suspension, Nissin brakes, WS swingarm, SRAD 750 wheels and a Wiseco 771 kit eventually. It is taking me ages though!

The pictures below are my standard one, followed by the project one as it was when I bought it, and as it is now. I bought the second one at a really good price as it is a genuine RK. I think it looks horrible and didn't mind stripping it to use as a project bike! The first one is going to stay original. They are frame numbers 123 and 135, and engine numbers R713-100133 and 100156. I know only 500 were made and 50 came to the UK. They cost 8995GBP back in 1989!

Frame numbers should start GR79A, B, or C, and engine numbers start R715 for Japan (restricted to 77hp) , R714 for France, Germany, Austria and Sweden (restricted to 100hp I think) and R713 for the rest of the world (including Belgium, sorry muzzys!).

Many were obviously raced and crashed so it would be nice to know how many are still out there.
i have to look.
great idea this thread

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Did this bike stay in WA? I'm looking to restore the bodywork on my RK and need to have a look an original tail piece, or get some close up photos, to see if mine is stock or not.

·
The other OG
6,334 Posts
why don't you guys ASK the mods to sticky this stuff as i suggested years ago 12 PAGES BLOODY
RK'S WHO NEEDS THEM HA!
good to see you took my advice, put some hp into the 750rk's
like big papa 1340

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
The bike finished up going to NSW. Post up a couple of photos of your tail piece.
I've had another close look at it. Appears to be original on one side, and badly repaired on the other. Did your restoration including painting the bike? If so did you use original decals, or get them made? I'm interested in finding someone in WA who could do a proper job on the paint.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Simon at M/C Panel and Paint could paint it for you. The number box decals are unavailable and have been for many years. The stripes are a pearl which you can get anywhere and you will need the SACS decals. It would be easier to paint the number box on as it is contoured. PM me if you require some close up photos.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
I never could find any pearl white material to make into decals. Never looked at striping material, since some of the other decals are in pearl, too. Might be easier to just paint the whole thing.

JR

401 - 420 of 454 Posts
About this Discussion
453 Replies
79 Participants
Hootguy
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing