·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey new here ride..... Did ride GSXR750 l0

What's your thoughts on this.....
Gsxr 750 l0, 14, 205 miles on the clock
Serviced every year religiously,
Last month had to take it to a different local garage for service and M.o.t. As my usual was closed due to covid!
So they done that with 14033 miles on the clock,
Gone out on the first ride today since the service and mot nice long one,
Ride was going all fine.. Until.....
Over took a car on a single carriageway
The oil light flickered at me then stayed on continued with the over take just as I'm going past the car rear wheel lock up, kept the bike upright, pulled clutch in and pulled over.
Rear wheel solid in gear, wouldn't turn over, got my mate to pick me up in the back of his van.
Got the bike back looked at the engine oil level and it appeared to be overfilled, so put the bike on stands so it was level, and continued to drain the oil out until it was at the max mark.....
Turns out it was over filled by 460ml in a engine that's capacity its I think about 2500ml.

Whats your general thoughts on the whole situation? Where do you think I stand I'll be going to the bike garage Monday to see what they recon.
In the pan of oil (460ml) that I drained out to get it to the max oil level mark, there are what look like to me to be bits of bronze and silver metal, I recon bottem end has gone.
One of my suppliers is Morris lubricants so I have put 100ml of the oil I took out aside to potentially get it analysed, just to ensure the grade of oil etc etc.

What a great Sunday.
Hope everyone else's Sunday rides have gone to plan!!!

Lee

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,100 Posts
Anything mechanical, can fail at any time...
Overfilling by 1/2 liter won't cause an engine to seize...generally, mild overfilling results in some oil puking out the breather, into the air box.
Did they use the correct oil filter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah was just thinking about it and am I just unlucky something like oil pumps has failed and thus seized the engine, I'll have a look at what ones on it, the bikes at my old man's atm as was closer to where I broke down but I'll swing by there and check 👍

Back to the old 99 r6 for the time being, was just getting it ready to sell.
Or sell that and buy a 2nd hand engine decisions decisions

Cheers for the reply
👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
My money is on hydraulic lock, due to overfilling with oil. Have a look in the airbox for any oil. If you take the head off, you’ll probably find a bent rod.

·
I think I have seen it all I been trained in Japan
29 Posts
Anything mechanical, can fail at any time...
Overfilling by 1/2 liter won't cause an engine to seize...generally, mild overfilling results in some oil puking out the breather, into the air box.
Did they use the correct oil filter?
Right kids

·
Likes to race old junk.
2,100 Posts
Right kids
Ok Troll...I'll bite.
Which part didn't make sense to you?
Shit happens and shit breaks all day long? Who knows...we may never hear from OP again.
The oil capacity with a filter change is 2.6 quarts or 2.46 liters, it was overfilled by 460ml(19%)...which totals 2.92 liters...it means someone dumped in the entire contents of 3 bottles. OMFG, I bet this almost never happens, anywhere, ever...although far from ideal, it's far from catastrophic.
The crank webs might whip the oil a bit, but not enough to reduce it all to foam and starve the bearings and certainly not high enough in the sump to hydraulic the engine.
Lets wait to see if OP tears into it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts