Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forums and I'm just starting to get into bikes. I picked up a 1999 gsxr600 with a bad motor. I understand its still carbureated so it shouldn't be a big deal to pull it out at all, however what motors from what years will drop right in? I'm assuming 1996 - 1999 600 gsxr motors are direct drop ins, or did the mount locations change throughout those years? What about a 750 motor as far as a direct drop in? I'm not really looking to make the bike faster, just looking to get it running with minimal work and money. The guy I bought it from believes it floated a valve, however the motor and tranny are also high mileage so I'm not sure I want to bother rebuilding it anyways. What year 600 motors can I expect to directly drop in and what should I expect to pay for a good used one? Thanks.

·
Registered
808 Posts
u can drop in any 600 motor from these years. They all fit and the motor mounts have not changed.

750 motors will fit right in as well, but you need to make sure that you get all the components if you get a 98 or 99 motor since they're fuel injected.

Actually 600 engines will go for really cheap as well. That's the cheapest/easiest way to go.

Any more questions just ask. i've done the 750 swap...

Andrew

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, your post was very helpfull. Most likely I will just drop in another 600 until I get used to the bike and the power these things have, I just wasn't too sure if the mounts or anything ever changed.

Now IF I did want to do a 750 swap, is that also a direct drop in if I stick with the carbureated years meaning I won't need anything else at all? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yes you would need the cdi box. Also you may need a cdi box if you change the year of the motor. I tried a cdi box off a 2000 gsxr 600 on my 97 but it didn't work. the 96-00 600 motors will all work on your bike though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts