Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok calling all GSXR oil cooled gurus. I have a two part question. The picture of my 1100 motor below has a damaged threaded bolt hole. Question # 1 is anyone have ideas on hot to repair this. This of course is for the bolt on Sprocket cover. Question # 2 can any one tell me what size chain goes wit this sprocket. I can't find any markings on it. I know pretty lame ?'s, but I like to get expert opinions.

Thanks

Rob

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Im guessing you dont have the missing tab. It could possible be welded and retaped but it would proubly be a weak point. The other option is to convert to a cable clutch set up. Which is the route I would go with. I would guess the sprocket is a 530. Stock ones were an oddball 532 and most go with the 530 conversion when its time to replace them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check with a machine shop. Even if you don't have the part that broke off, they may be able to use a welder to build up some new material and the retap it for you.

It might be expensive though.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I've been a metal fabricator, for 9 years. I've welded these time and time again. a machine shop would do as the last poster said but the engine would have to be taken apart and thats some work. or theres a product call'ed, liquid metal I think is the name they sell it at auto part stores. its pretty strong., and also will hold threads as well as a bolt. liquid steel. maybe this stuff can be grinded too. pretty strong stuff
As for the sproket no idea sry.?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. That just hold the back of the chain guard. It dosen't have any affect on the performance or strength of the hydraulic clutch. If you are worried about looks you could rtv a shorter bolt in the chain guard cover.

Just a thought.

John

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
IM with hybrid, If you don/t have an oil leak you might if you pick the wrong welder. That cover is mounted with more than enough bolts.

Mike

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I also believe that there is enough bolts to hold the sprocket cover with no issues. What I was thinking of doing is taking the original bolt and installing it on the remaining threads, apply a release agent on the threads of the bolt. Then build up over it with JB Weld. ( 777 I think this what you were thinking of when you were referring to liquid metal) I will do this and post the results. As for the front sprocket, I was hoping to find out what proper chain size because it is brand new with no wear marks. I have a variety of rear sprockets I can try to compare for size type. Thanks for all inputs.

Rob

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
yep all good answers. if you cant find out what size that sprocket is and you get new ones then go with the 530, not the stock 532. it so much easyer and cheaper to buy 530 stuff.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
The sprocket should be stamped somewhere on it. Perhaps it's on the other side, or hidden by the mounting?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok guys, this is the end result. I know the paint don't match, but it's functional. I used a mold release that is also used for bedding of sniper rifles in order to keep the bolt in place and unscrew it after the JB weld set up. It's real test will be while it's operational. i'll keep you all posted .

Before:

After:

On to the next step.

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts