Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through loads and loads of posts of different fork options but several are quite old now so I wondered what people are currently doing... I'm putting together a 1100 slabside as a track bike for classic days and I'd like RWU forks to keep the classic look rather than USD, I accept they will almost certainly need revalving/springing but what are people getting good results with? I saw a few references to R6 forks, anyone still using these? And also, what yokes work best with them or just sticking with the originals?
I will be running 17" wheels.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try to stay with Suzi OEM would be my first recommendation...... Slingshot forks and wheels is where most go I believe.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
If 17" and track only, I would go as new as possible. 2003 GSXR 600 would be my choice. Last year for RWU forks.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
i agree with both replies:

the 88-90 750 43mm showas are excellent and are also period correct. will mount with existing steering bearings.

the 96-00 and 01-03 600's are also a good choice, but the steering bearings are completely different.

i've used both at the track, and are comparable. the later model 600's front end/wheel are lighter, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Easiest is the 88-89 slingshot front end. the whole lot bolts in, yokes, brakes wheel. Forks work well with a stiffer spring, and factory air gap, some use a slightly thicker oil. use the later 5.5" 90-91 rear wheel, again bolts straight in with matching spacers and brake caliper hanger. This works really well.

Down side is the Slingshot wheels are really heavy. Later GSXR600 srad-K3 forks are good but a little shorter, so hurt ground clearance. Wheels are much lighter, rear needs some machining of the sprocket carrier and spacers to fit though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts