Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have resently aquired a GSXR 1000. It is my fist bike. I have not ridden it yet as I am alittle thrown off by it's size. I an well aware of what an incedible bike it is and would love very much to ride it in the near future. I would not have bought a bick quite this size though, probably a 750 if anything. However I have inherited this bick and would love to honor my friend and put it to very good use rather than sell it and buy somthing smaller. I am also a female about 5'3 and would love to know if there are any women on here ridding bikes this size.

·
eh'hole
2,104 Posts
I have an 01 600 and its the exact same bike as yours, and I agree that its a pretty big bike, but its not the size you should be worrying about, its the power. Even a "little" 600 like mine will do 0-60 in under 3 seconds and do the 1/4 mile in high 10s. I can say right now that a 600 is way too much for a beginner with no experience, let alone someone of your size.

I can understand how you want to honor your friend, but this bike will most likely kill you, and thats no joke. I suggest putting that bike away for storage, taking the MSF course then picking up a Ninja 250 or 500. A Ninja 250s seat height is pretty low at only 29 inches, its also a very light bike too which makes it easy to handle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
gixxergrl1000 said:
I have resently aquired a GSXR 1000. It is my fist bike. I have not ridden it yet as I am alittle thrown off by it's size. I an well aware of what an incedible bike it is and would love very much to ride it in the near future. I would not have bought a bick quite this size though, probably a 750 if anything. However I have inherited this bick and would love to honor my friend and put it to very good use rather than sell it and buy somthing smaller. I am also a female about 5'3 and would love to know if there are any women on here ridding bikes this size.
If u value your life and others around you, and this is truly your first bike..STAY OFF THAT THING!!!! You CANT honour your friend if your DEAD..Go take the saftey class hold on to the 1000 for future use pick up a smaller bike and put a few thousand miles on it ...I ve been riding for a long time and im the same height as you and i got on an R1 last year and nearly scared the [email protected]#T outta myself and like i said ive been riding a LONG time..But i dont know you so do what u will but u asked for advice so here it is..:cheers

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
There are 3 girls that ride in our group and after 1 year of riding 600's and 750's they are all moving to 1000's. Just be careful and take your time. You will love it. And you will probably make some of the guys around you jealous. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your imput. I have taken the saftey couse and I have ridden but, never owned my own bike. I have been riding mostly dirt bikes for years, most that i can't reach the ground wich proves to be quite challenging. I do realize the differance between a street bike and a dirt bike though. Maybe I will store it and get a cheap small bike for starters. I would still like to hear more oppinions first though. I'm a pretty balls'y girl! I would rather ride this thing. Any advice as far as it's handeling?

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
OK. When someone says "be careful until you get comfortable" they're forgetting that in the hands of a noob, SKILL and EXPERIENCE are what will keep you alive, not just WILL POWER. "Knowing your limits" and "keeping your head on strait" will not get you through. Only experience will prepare you for a bike of that magnitude.

And if friends or even strangers tell you things like "you'll get tired of a 600 or 750 in a few months anyway" feel free to call them a :squid and kick them in the box.

Also keep in mind that Suzuki does not make 3 different GSXRs with the intent that the 600 is a beginner bike. :nono
That would mean that a 750 is for intermediate riders. And a 1000 is for experienced riders. :rolleyes That logic would mean Jason Disalvo and Roger Hayden are beginners. :lol

These bikes are ALL FOR EXPERIENCED RIDERS ONLY! And dirt experience does not in any way equal street experience.

Feel free to admire the GSXRs and be a Race Bike rider hopeful, but you need to get a good solid background on more user-friendly bikes first before you attempt to tame one. :thumbup Having balls will get you killed. Especially if you're a noob on a liter bike.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Not to be a prick, but, from the gist of your questions, it sounds like you need to start on a smaller non-sportbike, like a GS500 or SV650. The GSXR 1000 an amazing machine, both in handling and power, and is not for the inexperienced rider. For your own safety, I would strongly suggest you do NOT start on the 1000. If you do choose to go with the 1k, however, I wish you the best of luck.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Dont do it. :nono
Thats like ride a BULL. You can be care and respect it, but it will buck you off.
I seen and heard it happen. Go into a turn hit some bumps and twist that throttle........
Its your decision but we just want you to be safe.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would tend to agree with the concensus here and not do it. You wont necissarily listen to a bunch of people on the internet, but I assure you it is a bad idea. I JUST bought an 02 1000. This after riding for 25 years, started on dirt, moved to 600 Hurricane, then to 900RR and now 1000 GSX-R. I had rode my brothers GSX-R 1000 prior to buying this one and I loved it. But dont fool yourself, a little too much throttle just about anywhere and it will bite you. Just FYI. Even an 02 has my full undivided attention when the throttle gets opened.

·
Banned
3,512 Posts
take your time and be careful. that bike has alot of power. if at all possible i'd try and learn on somehting smaller if you have that option and ride that bike when your more comfortable. and there is a forum just for girls check that out.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
listen to this.....
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont become a statistic, what f'ed up friend said it was ok to buy that thing?? sell it and downsize......a lot!! a 600 is a handful to learn on.
good luck!! :cheers

·
Registered
361 Posts
dont become a statistic, what f'ed up friend said it was ok to buy that thing??
You must not have read the part where she says she inherited the bike...:rolleyes

But everyone here is right about one thing: a 1k bike is not for a beginner!

I myself was told: " Get the 1000, because in two years time, you'll get bored with a 600." Yeah right :rolleyes :rolleyes!!! If I had gotten the 1000, I wouldn't have made it to the 2 years to get bored. Even now, I still get a rush every time I open up the throttle, and I'm getting to know the bike a bit more every time... I'll be taking some extra classes in spring... I suggest you do the same ;) It'll make passing your friends on 1000's that much more fun when you're on a smaller bike... :biggrin

For street riding, I live by one motto: "No matter how much guts you have, it's not worth having them ly on the street next to you." Be safe out there and most of all: have some fun... :punk

Now where's the pics of you in a bikini on your bike, i need a new wallpaper (j/k) :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

edit: oh yeah, welcome to the madness that is Gixxer.com!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
The main thing about the liter bikes is they are not very forgiving. Most of the new 600s are not very forgiving either. There are bikes out there that if you make a judgement mistake you will still be able to save it and learn. A liter bike is not one of those. I have a CBR1000RR which is supposed to be the tamest of the liter bikes, yeah right!! It will still get you in some hot water quick if you just have a small lapse in concentration. Your comment about buying a smaller bike first would be the smart way of going. Get a sv650 and learn how to ride and get good experience with traffic. You'll enjoy sport riding better that way.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
1000's make excellent starter bikes and they have plenty of power so you won't get bored with them.

:)

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
....drags self out of retirement......

I would suggest that you read a few of the stickies above.

There are many compelling reasons to start smaller.

The only reason to start on an 'R' bike is peer pressure - not wanting to look stupid riding 'only' a 250/500 etc.

Your life depends on your skills, on your ability to handle the bike, your ability to react correctly to a diverse selection of things that come your way.

The sportier the bike, the faster it reacts.

The sportier the bike the less likely it is that your 'reaction' is going to be even vaguely correct.

The Sportier the bike, the greater the chances are that the speed of the accicent will be too great to survive.

Sell the 1K - it is (if the truth be told) beyond the capabilities of the vast majority of the riders on the road today. It is insanely fast, unbeleiveably good at changing direction, and the brakes are razor sharp.

In other words, exactly the WRONG combination for a new rider.

read the stickies, assess the value of your life. Then make up your mind.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
fRaGgLe said:
....drags self out of retirement......

I would suggest that you read a few of the stickies above.

There are many compelling reasons to start smaller.

The only reason to start on an 'R' bike is peer pressure - not wanting to look stupid riding 'only' a 250/500 etc.

Your life depends on your skills, on your ability to handle the bike, your ability to react correctly to a diverse selection of things that come your way.

The sportier the bike, the faster it reacts.

The sportier the bike the less likely it is that your 'reaction' is going to be even vaguely correct.

The Sportier the bike, the greater the chances are that the speed of the accicent will be too great to survive.

Sell the 1K - it is (if the truth be told) beyond the capabilities of the vast majority of the riders on the road today. It is insanely fast, unbeleiveably good at changing direction, and the brakes are razor sharp.

In other words, exactly the WRONG combination for a new rider.

read the stickies, assess the value of your life. Then make up your mind.

Hey Bro - long time no see :D

And agree 100% :thumbup

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.