Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Streetfighting Monster
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo dudes

Right then , anyone recognise these ?

i aquired them today for my project bike , and they're unlike any other yoshimura covers i've seen before.I've seen plenty of yoshimura aftermarker engine covers for GSXR's in the past , and they've all looked the same - Normally the ignition cover had the corner 'missing' and the oil pressure switch needs to be removed - with 'GSXR' and the '347' logo standing proud on the cover. The starter cover has a small square in the centre , with the small 347 logo in the center embossed into it.

But these covers are very very thick cast alloy ( maybe magnesium ) , with a rough sandcast finish to the surface ( although at some stage , someones had a half hearted attempt a polishing them ) , both covers had large yoshimura '347' logo's standing proud from the surface.

So , does anyone recognise them ? the guy i got them from reckons they're off a Tornado / Tornado replica as he's sure he's seen pics of a tornado with these covers fitted

What d'ya reckon ?

PS - i've also aquired a brand new pair of old stock Yoshimura frame covers , for the slingshot GSXR ( they fit both the 750 & 1127 frames ). they are in white fibreglass with the embossed yoshi logo , They've never been fitted to a bike and are in mint condition. I probably wont use them on my project bike , and could be tempted to part with them for the right offer - any takers ?

i also have a pair of frame covers made from Carbon fibre . They are not yogenuine yoshi items , but have obviously been modeled on them . They are in good condition , but for some ( unknown ) reason , right hand cover has has a portion removed from the bottom. Anyway , same again - if you want 'em - shout up.

Cheers dudes.

Lee

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I remember seeing a set of these covers. The guy told me [he rode for suzuki ] that they were off a yoshimura race bike. I remember them as being very thick. I guess to keep from being ground thru so easily in a crash?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
sweet find UK Lee. looks good!

·
Premium Member
3,306 Posts
I looked through all my pictures and couldn't see any that looked like that. Might be a rare find indeed, nice catch. Troy341

·
3,482 Posts
Never seen them either, look damn sturdy though! As nice as those Magnesium covers were they really wouldn't hold up very well in a serious crash.......bet these would......

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
now i think about it my starter cover is really thick. looks like sand blasted cast iron kinda. but,...cast iron on a bike.?? I'll take a pic after work. U.K. those covers are awesome looking. makes a great addition to an already fabulous looking bike. and they're polished.?? I thought of using the cover on my other engine which says suzuki. is mine a racing cover too.I noticed after my wreck from low side it wasn't damaged in any way. maybe I should keep it on there....but mine doesn't say 347 on the side

·
Streetfighting Monster
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok , here they are again after a bit of TLC has been applied.

I had the damage repaired , by alloy welding , then cleaning up the edges of the logo's with my dremel . It was here that i discovered that the covers were made by High pressure die casting ( rather than sandcast as i originally thought ) , this would suggest that these covers were not ' one off's ' or 'homemade' - but i still have no idea of their origins

Someone on another board suggested that they were made by Yoshimura USA , for the works bikes in the AMA series - it sounds a bit far fetched to me though. Any of you guys got any old race bike pics that may show these covers being used ?

I tried to mirror polish the whole covers , but there were too many imperfections in the surface , and i couldn't get into the small area's in and around the logo's . So i had them powder coated gloss black , and then polished the surface of the logo's instead.

I think they look ok now - certainly better than before eh ?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The set I saw belonged to ottis lance. He rode for yosh here in the states for a while. About the time when doug polen was starting with them. [they are still friends] BTW, you engine looks awesome..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts