Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I find myself in possession of this presumably insane 09 GSXR1000 that I have not ridden yet, still snow on the ground. I was at the dealership today fishing for trade/retail value of the GSXR and threw a leg over a new Busa, and from what I have read all the gen2 are about the same thing so buying new would be counterintiutive when I can get a cheaper one that someone probably already spent some loot on. Besides the new ones are around 12k, and used Gen2s I see around on CL for usually about $1000 less than what I see this generation of GSXRs go for. The difference for me is the Busa feels like there is still a bike underneath me, but the GSXR1000 feels like little more than an abbreviated slice of wicked. I cant see being in the GSXR saddle for any length of time, maybe 30 years ago but not now.

I read that this GSXR has the tilt for more modern tech but when I sat on the Busa I felt like it was a bike I could put some miles on, like possibly a better fit while performance is similarly spookey, at least in most regards. I know the site rules on selling/trading/buying w/o being a paid member, so I'm not offering it up as a trade, especially not before I put a few miles on it and feel it out, just trying to see where I stand as I do sort of see me going in this direction. I ogled the ZX14 too, but leaning towards the higher bang-for-the-buck and considerably more sexy Suzy. Would I be out of line to expect a straight across trade of this 09 GSXR1000 for a gen2 Busa in similarly equipped and same immaculate condition? Out of respect for the forum rules I'll up to paid subscription before I'm ready to offer it up.

TIA.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,911 Posts
A Hayabusa will be a much better bike for sport touring that a Gsxr could ever be. As far as if you could get a straight trade, you’d have to find the right person that feels the opposite of you. But, I’d say a trade for a gen 2 straight across wouldn’t be unreasonable.

·
Super Moderator
14,999 Posts
Yeah totally agree. Sounds like the Busa will be a more comfortable choice for you in the long run and used examples usually don't cost that much. Try to find an unmolested one if you can or one that is tastefully modded.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I owned a Gen 1 Busa for 12 years before buying a 2018 GSXR1000 this past Summer. The Busa is definitely more comfortable (not implying that the GSXR is uncomfortable), and is ALMOST as fast as the GSXR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are awesome, thank you for the input. I realize the Busa is getting a bit long in the tooth, seems it will still be more than enough sport to enter into the sport touring equation. I have not yet ridden the GSXR but if I'm to believe anything I see on youtube, then two facts jump out at me.

1. I lack the bouquet of testicles needed to ride the way some of these guys do. This appears to be what the bike was designed for, but I have a great deal less faith in my fellow man than some of the guys posting to youtube. There are some great roads here in the rural nowhere of South Dakota that would allow me to squeeze it a bit without all the risks of distracted motorists.

2. It seems to be a no compromises made sports bike. I need some small compromises for my tired joints and bones haha. I still want a bike with exceptional power and decent handling, but an insane open class sport bike is not the proper bike for my needs/wants. Seriously though I cant wait to experience this bike at least once, dayum!

I've got money tied up in other things, now is not the time for a new bike. I will definately be watching with interest when a 3rd gen Busa is introduced but it's unlikely I'll own one until it's several model years into production. All I have read about the current Busa suggests it's a perfect balance of what I'm after, including being in the right price range too trade for this GSXR. If I fall in love with the GSXR and can do at least 4 hour rides then I may just keep her. It feels mighty small and cramped for my frame though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Unless your focus is on handling, the Busa will be a better bike for you ad they are much more comfortable.

I suggest you get an insurance quote. That may make the decision for you. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad you brought up insurance. I've got a call in now and should have a couple quotes back soon. I asked for a quote for a 2010 Busa as well as this GSXR. I'm finally old-ish now, I have a clean driving record and decent credit. Lacking those things was their rational for giving me shit rates back in the day. Even my Vmax is only $60-ish/year, now I'm curious. I'll update when I've heard if any one is interested.

Okay, Just got off the blower with in insurance co. I've been getting better deals and way better service since firing Progressive and going back to State Farm.

2009 GSXR1000 -- Full cover (500 deductible) is 430/year
Basic Liability is 113/year

2010 Busa -- Full coverage 338/year
Basic Liability is 82/year.

I would say the difference is negligable enough to not be a factor, but the basic liability is only marginally more than I pay for my Vmax and Venture. For some reason I thought this was going to be so much worse.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you considered the GSX-S1000F ? It has the Gixxer K5 motor that has been revamped for the street and is a blast to ride.
I can do 6 to 8 hr days on mine easy due to its riding position and more upright stance.
Doesn't quite have the power of the GSXR or Busa, but it's no slouch, especially it you do a full exhaust and ECU flash tune.
Just throwing this out there... plus the insurance is about half!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the recommendation, it sounds like a pretty solid bike. I went down to see if I could see one in the flesh but there was no example on the floor. It's not likely I'll step into much debt to trade this off, especially going into so much economic uncertainty. I'm probably going to write off the idea of trading it for something new or with much more value. If I were to go ride some of the bikes I've been keeping an eye on I'm sure I would make some silly financial decisions. The R1200 RS has also caught my eye, as well as a K1600GT. Even the RT is looking pretty good, found out the Trophy was discontinued back in 17 and the Daytona is about the same level of comfort as the GSXR. Many of these machines are going to fetch more $$ and leave me with a bike payment, which I'd like to avoid for now.

If we have one more warm day then I should be able to sample this GSXR, my driveway is nearly thawed. Winters here are hard to call. I sat on it for a few minutes in the garage, not seeing this as a bike I can do day rides on but we'll see. If it is there is a solid chance I'll just keep her. She's looking might sexy without all the stickers and decals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts