Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a full RS-3 system and factory jet kit. My first question is if I let off the throttle when its roughly 5000 RPM or more it back fires so do I need to raise the needle some more or install the next size down on the jets. I don't have any problems when on the gas just when I back off. My second question is my bike now smells like molting lava. My friend told me his header smelled funny when it was new also but this smells like a nuclear meltdown. I do think a have a very small leak in one of the pipes because I hear a little ticking. The engine runs cool and doesn't over heat and I inspected the header after a ride to see if was red but its just blueing. The mid pipe turned yellow fast but I figured that was normal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I am not Jeff or Freak but I am pretty sure that your bike is running lean. Others would be in a better position to clarify this but it is running hot and the backfire also suggests this. Make sure that it is not burning the fairing or any other plastic parts. Watch the mileage, is it doing more miles to a full tank than it used to do?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I was thinking it was lean but I read on one of the threads in here that lean will cause a stall and rich will cause a backfire. I also emailed Factory but its friday. I was hoping someone here could help before sunday because I wanted to go on a ride.
Also if this helps I used the 130 size mains and middle slot on the needles which is the #3 slot. If I use the next size jets down wont this cause it to be more lean. The next size down woul be 127.5

[ 01-10-2003, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Breathsounds ]

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I'm not John or Jeff, but I have some $0.02 that might help since they have not seen your post...

You'll know your bike is running rich when it's easy to start in the morning or when its cold without having to choke it. Also, you'ld smell gas.

A brand new exhaust will smell funny in the beginning, like something's burning ... it should disappear after 50 or 100 miles...

Your bike will backfire even if its running lean. At night or in darkness, see if some flames are coming out of the exhaust when you revv her up... that's a sign of a lean condition ... also, you'll be able to see if your exhaust headers are redenning... meaning its very lean.

It's tough to get it right by yourself and to tune the carbs correctly according to what your bike set-up is.... trust me when I tell you that if you have the bike properly dyno-tuned by an experienced professional, you will feel a large difference on how your bike responds to the throttle .... mine was night and day.

[ 01-10-2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: migz123 ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Ok did you use the same size jets in all 4 carbs???? I think the two on teh out side should have a larger jet in them. I think...

Also, did you drill out the air/fuel cap and adjust them per the directions?? If not that is your problem.

Lean isnt that bad as long as the bike still runs... but you should try to fix it...

Does the bike backfire (should be called lean pop) when not moving and you just rev it up? Or does it only do it when you ride it and on decel??

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts