Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my 1996 GSXR (carbureted) won't start without throttle, choke doesn't really seem to do anything. When I ride and arrive at a stop where i pull in the clutch, put the bike in neutral, the RPM falls quickly to 1000 and then the motor stalls. Starts back up every time, and it doesn't stall when starting the bike for the first time, only when riding.
Any idea on what could cause the problem and how to fix it?
Could it be an electrical issue? Or maybe the E10 fuel?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
welp ditch the E10 fuel for sure, try to find some ethanol free or blue gas.. pure-gas.org

however my guess is you need a full and complete fuel system rebuild, specially if you been running E10 and its been a while, more than 5 years or so

I've had my fuel system go twice in the last 5 years each time in just a single season.. gas just isn't what it used to be, its not carb friends at all why i am using E free 88 and adding octane booster to get it up to 92..

I know for fact the quality of gas is worse than ever these days as my busa gas just rotted in 4 months and it ran so bad.. I pumped it out and rinsed the tank.. added E free, no more of that garbage gas, it smelled so bad, yuk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welp ditch the E10 fuel for sure, try to find some ethanol free or blue gas.. pure-gas.org

however my guess is you need a full and complete fuel system rebuild, specially if you been running E10 and its been a while, more than 5 years or so

I've had my fuel system go twice in the last 5 years each time in just a single season.. gas just isn't what it used to be, its not carb friends at all why i am using E free 88 and adding octane booster to get it up to 92..

I know for fact the quality of gas is worse than ever these days as my busa gas just rotted in 4 months and it ran so bad.. I pumped it out and rinsed the tank.. added E free, no more of that garbage gas, it smelled so bad, yuk
I checked the service manual, it says the bike should run fine with this kind of fuel, but I'll definitely try something with less or zero E in it then. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
sure it runs with it, however the damage it does to your fuel system isn't against Suzuki's policy, they make a lot of money servicing bikes, ever seen what a new OEM fuel pump goes for?

ethanol is alcohol, alcohol absorbs water and holds onto it, so the humidity in the atmosphere alcohol can and will grab and store it in your tank carbs, petcock and lines in the form of water .. NO GOOD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts