Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GSXR 750 2001 model which has recently developed a problem with the clocks ( rev counter, speedo, temp etc)

Basically, there are none- completely blank. The rev counter doesn't even work! But they do sometimes come on and work perfectly,but then everything starts flashing ( highbean light, neutral light, oil light, fuel light etc, all at once), and when I turn the ignition off and on again, either it keeps doing this or the clocks stay off. :confused

Regardless of if the clocks are working or not the bike runs fine.

"backround" light comes on, highbeam light and neutral light also always work.

I have been through the loom and looked at the clocks for a dry/ broken joint and have not found any. i have looked in the manual to try and do a continuity test between the clocks and the ECM ( computer box) but the manual doesn't really help, and I don't want to strip the enire loom to follow the individual wires. :eek:hmy

Can anyone out there help me out on what wires to test, or anything else I can do. I can't afford to replace the cocks( besides they do work sort of) or replace the ECM ( computer) which I also don't think is the problem.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
zimgsxr said:
I can't afford to replace the cocks( besides they do work sort of)
Yeah, I imagine that's a very expensive surgery... But at least it "sort of" works.. :lol

Sorry, couldn't resist... Anyway, in regards to your question, probably the first thing to check is to see if you have a short somewhere... Try doing a leakage test. Basicaly just disconnect the ground wire from the battery and slap a multimeter in to complete the circuit. Anything more then probably around 1 mA is probably indicating a short. At least then you'll know what your looking for.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This happened to me before, it's the wires connect to the battery.
If they look tight, just make it extremely tight, gorilla tight. That's happened to me and it used to flick on and off, while riding and the light was always on, it was normal when I rode normal but once I start wheeling or fucking around in a couple days it would get lose. Hope that's the problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
if that doesn't help, I would swap gauges with someone to see if it's the gauge or actually bike wires. I just sold a gauge for $100 you can pick them up for that much if it's just the gauge.

good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, i will try both options after work this evening and see if I can find the problem. My mate has a GSXR 750 2004, and his clocks look the same so I just hope he will let me borrow them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
  1. It probably has to do with the yellow plug up front by the airbox in front of the wiring harness at least I'm pretty sure that's for my problems coming from and I'm having the same thing. Then mine started frying all the kickstand turn signal relays I put in it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts