Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road all day yesterday woke up to go to work this morning and the GSXR won't start. Lights are on but nobody is home :banghead

Tried to push jump it and no shot. Cluster and lights on. Checked battery it reads full. Thinking it might just be a flat battery and not holding enough charge to crank? I mean probably because it's a monday or because fuckin race bike yo. Not sure....

Please advise lol

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Check the fuses first.

Then, check the battery voltage, should be above 12.5v.

Then, check the stator and reg/rec according to the factory manual. These bikes have horrible charging systems.

Do you hear the fuel pump priming?

·
Banned
184 Posts
With a car jumper cable or thick enough clips and cables that do not melt come amp flow time, you are 'bench testing' the battery with the starter motor directly to the starter lug and find a good ground to arc off of. You arc off the lug, you'll melt the threads. Do 3 pushups, touch your elbows to your back spine, take a deep breath, hold your nut sack, and stab that other cable end to ground and do not let up until your hand gets hot or the starter moved for jackshit = No Amps (push).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The bike is priming as normal only thing wrong is when pressing starter lights dim and cluster goes out. It did however click making me believe the solonoid or whatever optimus prime starting system wasn't getting enough power to turn?

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,180 Posts
Sounds to me like you left the bike with the lights on (ignition switch in the 'P' position perhaps), or the battery died spontaneously or something. I assume that the battery reading full means you connected it to a charger and it says it's full. That may very well mean that the battery is dead and the charger interprets that as a full battery, since it won't draw any further current. Try measuring the voltage, as Anthony suggests, a) with the ignition off, b) with the ignition on and c) while pressing the start button. This should give you an idea of its state. You want at least 12.5V or so and it shouldn't drop much lower than than in any of the cases.

·
3,180 Posts
Batteries just die spontaneously sometimes, so a sudden dead battery, although usually associated with charging system failure, does not make it certain, so the original stator and R/R might have been fine. This would normally only be a financial problem, but I suspect the replacements are usually cheaper aftermarket units. In that case the result is more money and worse components. Unless special equipment is required, measuring is usually relatively straightforward and rarely results in much additional work, if replacement does indeed turn out to be required. A win-win situation really.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The stator was fried all black so I changed it lol... Along with the RR however after further review my charger ended up charging my battery out of bike. The starter motor sounds like its trying to push a big one out the back end whineeee whine whine and no turn over. I was able to push start in 2nd and it ran fine. Soooooo now I must replace the starter motor? So many gaskets!

·
3,180 Posts
I would be worried about the starter motor whining all of a sudden, after servicing rotating parts connected to the drivetrain. Perhaps there's some interference between the rotor and the replaced stator?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just turning over slowly like an old lady trying to churn butter or something lmao. No "odd" noises and she was running perfect for about 2-1/2 weeks after the replacement of stator and RR. Looks like I can just replace the starter motor from under the tank without taking out the stator cover thank god... Easy install? I'm assuming plug in play? I can't seem to find anything other than service manual. Lots of starter motors on ebay got one from motorcycleguys

·
3,180 Posts
So the problem now is that there's a whining sound, but only when the starter is cranking the engine and after that it sounds fine? Could you for instance bump-start it and it would run with no strange noises whatsoever? Does the starter actually crank the motor? Do you see the tachometer needle go up at all? Got a video/sound clip of the noise?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Did you buy a reputable brand stator and reg/rec, or a no-name eBay one?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts